DopyLemontree's High Brix Soil Blend - Headband OG & Bubblegum Combo Grow Jour

Hello folks,

This will be my third grow using Doc's gear. There will be an overlap of my first (just harvested) and second ( 3 weeks post flip) grow posted here as well, as I have a perpetual system of growing.

Clones- Stinkbud's Diy aero cloner

Soil -Doc Buds high brix soil blend

Veg cans - 1 gal

Flower cans - 15 gal

Strains- Headband OG and Bubblegum

Veg Lights 1- 525 led (non-sponsor)

Flower lights 2- 600w Hps (vented hoods) and 2- 525 led (non-sponsor

Rooms -2 total. 1 flower and 1 veg, clone, and drying.

Everything is up off the concrete floor on 4 wheeled dollys. This protects from the cool floor and makes it so much easier to move stuff around

Temps 69*F to 82*F

RH- 45-55%

Co2 supplement in Flower room ( can't hold very high though as I don't have an AC system and need to vent to control temps, but it's better than not having it, and cheap;)

Clone time 1-2 weeks

Veg time 4-6 weeks

Flower time 56-70 days

I'll post some pics in a bit, and any info I have forgotten. Please ask any questions, and share any thoughts of personal experience. I'm new to Doc's kit, but an experienced aero grower. By the way, Doc's system is far easier and the results are superior to anything I have grown in the last 20 years, no bull!

Welcome my friends!

I'll be back...

Re: DopyLemontree's DocBud High Brix Soil Blend - Headband OG / Bubblegum combo grow

Ok let's get some initial work done...roll up you sleeves, we're gonna mix some soil!

420-magazine-mobile946456337.jpg

I like to use this old containment tray, I found at a flea market. It has square corners and makes it easy to shovel and mix 60 gallons of soil. The soil we use is Promix HP. Here I will be taking 4 root balls of soil from my 1st DBHBB grow, break'em down, chop'em up with a square shovel, add in 20-30lbs of worm castings, and some of Doc's amendment.

420-magazine-mobile288502208.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1669289845.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2082731895.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1431908286.jpg

I remove the main stems, but all the roots are mixed in with the soil...That's what Doc says to do in the instructions for 2nd run soil...and I'm doing my best to follow instructions..;)

420-magazine-mobile1656388666.jpg

I mix it all dry real good, then wet it down a little with RO water that I pump out of a bucket and through a wand sprayer, which by the way I also use to water the plants in the flower room...so much easier that lifting and pouring containers of drench. After a little watering I turn it, water, turn, etc. until I get an even moisture

420-magazine-mobile2039321598.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1970714192.jpg

When it's just right I can squeeze the soil and it holds its shape, but touch it and it crumbles...perfect

420-magazine-mobile1476918956.jpg
420-magazine-mobile219675480.jpg

Then I shovel this into a black plastic barrel to cook. And label the batch number and run number. This is a photo of a different barrel that I have cooked already for reference. See the label.
420-magazine-mobile508123332.jpg

I am noticing that my second grow is going much better with fewer issues than the first, and I believe part of it was the way I mixed the first grows soil, and how I stored it. First time I mixed it in layers...soil, WC, amendment, little water, stir....and repeat. I don't think i mixed enough and this was compounded by letting it cook on the concrete cool floor...shame on me!

Second time I did it this way, and cooked the soil with the barrel up off the floor on one of my beloved 4 wheeled dollies in the veg room at 73-77*F...and bingo...soil is fire now...much better results, and so easy to move...love it!

I should also mention that the covers have two 2in bung holes...I know, funny...which allows a small amount of air exchange...Doc recommended this to me. When done the soil is earthy smelling and a joy to work with.

Ok coming up will be upcanning the plants I have in veg, which are in 1 gallon cans, and the cloning...

Take care
DL

Re: DopyLemontree's DocBud High Brix Soil Blend - Headband OG / Bubblegum combo grow

:popcorn:

Hell yeah about time Dopy! haha

I've always wanted to grow Bubblegum so I'll be watching closely!!

:lot-o-toke:

Hell yeah about time Dopy! haha

I've always wanted to grow Bubblegum so I'll be watching closely!!

:lot-o-toke:

Thanks Beavis! Yeah the Bubblegum is absolutely beautiful to look at, smelled intoxicating while trimming, and seems to love the soil as is...we will see on this round. Here is some Bubblegum pics of my 1st grow with Doc's gear.
420-magazine-mobile45745173.jpg

And in the pre-curing container
420-magazine-mobile1635443541.jpg

Wow, so does it smell and taste like bubblegum?

Wow, so does it smell and taste like bubblegum?

Yes it is remarkable! I grew this once in an aero setup but the taste was blah, even after a 2month cure. I expected so much more, as I had smoked this strain 20 years ago and it was amazing both effect and flavor. This time in Doc's soil it loved it, and smelled like raspberry candy if I brushed up against a bud. While trimming, my wife and I were delighted at the distinctive "bazooka joe" bubble gum smell...I mean simply stunning! I can't wait till it is ready to try....I'll be sneaking a taste well before it's fully cured.

More pics of it with flash on...see the trics!

420-magazine-mobile2098682512.jpg
420-magazine-mobile504402534.jpg

DopyLemontree's DocBud High Brix Soil Blend - Headband OG / Bubblegum combo grow jour

Ok Time to upcan 5 of my plants from 1 gal cans to the 15 gal cans. A little history...I took clones of my first grow in DBHHB soil, and eventually transplanted the 9 best into the 1 gal cans dusted with Doc's Roots! and RO water. I learned alot about Doc's products on these plants. I was alternating between two drenches with them; one was GE+25%TP+tea and the other was the same without the GE. Specifically 1 bucket with 6 gallons of RO water, add 1/2 tsp of tea. Doc has recommended to let that tea sit in the water for a few minutes. If I'm doing the GE drench I would add 6tsp of GE to the bucket, then divide the 5 gallons between two buckets so I can do two plants at a time. I then took 8oz of water from the bucket, added 1/4tsp of Transplant (25%) and top poured that and then immediately dunk the plant in the bucket so the drench was 2/3 of the way up the can. If the soil is completely dry like it should be, I will see a furious percolation of air bubbles as the drench on top seeps into the soil. Doc has stated that the plants love this exchange of air. After a minute I pull it out, and tilt it to drain the perched water at the bottom, this draws fresh air in from the top. Then next time I needed to water I will leave out the GE, and do everything else the same.
420-magazine-mobile254542825.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1289873539.jpg

I was at a point where I needed to do a drench every other day with some of them. I think I could get them much bigger in the 1 gallon cans, but you end up using a lot of drench and it's demanding of you to keep up. For me it was a timing issues, I needed to finish the first grow before I could upcan the plants that will become my 3rd grow. Well that time has come, time to pick the strains I want. I have 5 to choose from: AK47, Headband OG, Bubblegum, Nitro Lemon Haze, and Blue Dream.

For this grow I chose 2- Bubblegum and 3- Headband OG. With the HBOG I'm gonna perform a little test. One of the 15 gallon cans will have 2 HBOG plants. I will compare this against the can with 1 HBOG, to see what was more productive at the end.

I will take clones of all the plants, as I am yet to try any of them. After I find which ones I like or don't like I will be able to determine what to keep going in the future.

On to the transplant!

Nice roots

420-magazine-mobile855666771.jpg

Vertically score roots
420-magazine-mobile1362579231.jpg

Dust with Roots!
420-magazine-mobile1379695256.jpg

Drop her home
420-magazine-mobile1691894016.jpg

Then I water with 25% TP. I noticed that my first and current 2nd grow the soil really settled, so I tried to pre-settle the soil to prevent this. Not super compressed, but light to medium....Duggan pointed this out to me and will to anyone else...Fill Your Pots Up.

Back 3 are HBOG, 2 in front are BG

420-magazine-mobile1283773016.jpg

HBOG
420-magazine-mobile122005109.jpg
420-magazine-mobile902581518.jpg

Bubblegum
420-magazine-mobile889559478.jpg
420-magazine-mobile130261949.jpg

I took all my cuttings, used colored collars for each strain, plug into the recycle timer, 45sec on 5 mins off.

420-magazine-mobile1922414338.jpg

Welcome to the world of clones

420-magazine-mobile427237782.jpg

A little Low Stress Training on the up-canned plants, a little destress and I'm done for the night...phew

DL

Looking really good there DL. Nice excellent root production too.

I always fill my pots to the top or close to the top, but only fill loosely. As the first 2 weeks pass and they get a foothold and the soil settles, it leaves just enough room on top for the early-bloom topdressing. Once I spread the ewc, recharge and roots powder, I always top off with a few solo cups of soil then water it all in.

Either way, your method seems to be working well for you. Keep up the good work.

Looking really good there DL. Nice excellent root production too.

I always fill my pots to the top or close to the top, but only fill loosely. As the first 2 weeks pass and they get a foothold and the soil settles, it leaves just enough room on top for the early-bloom topdressing. Once I spread the ewc, recharge and roots powder, I always top off with a few solo cups of soil then water it all in.

Either way, your method seems to be working well for you. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for sharing those thoughts Gov. I have seen others add EWC and root powder to the recharge too dressing too. This is outside the instructions, but I am interested. What do you find this helps with?

What do you find this helps with?

The particular strain I'm running is a heavy feeder in early bloom and no matter what I tried it would hit that wall mid-bloom until I started adding this. At first I tried skipping the recharge thinking it was too strong and burning the plant, then I tried it with the recharge and a little ewc and found it was better but still not what I was looking for. Simply through trial and error I've settled on this regimen. The OG I'm running now is a minimal feeder comparatively (or at least it's a low-drinker) and a little recharge was all it needed.

If at all possible, I'd suggest running a particular strain several times and finding its sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom