White Widow Grow - Indoor

MaryJANE01

What's up guys, MaryJane here. So today I got my W/W seeds and I ordered a bag of Canna Coco Professional Plus which I will be using as my medium for this grow. This is only my second time growing so I still have a lot of stuff to learn. Unfortunately the soil doesn't arrive until next week so I can't start my grow until then. But, on the up side, this does give me time to sort out my grow area. It's going to be homemade from wood, covered in aluminum foil, set with a pc fan (all I can get my hands on for now), a 125watt Cfl bulb/5000 lumens which I am also waiting for.

I don't have a timer for the lights. So its all down to me to be there at the right times to turn them on and off.
All I have to test the Ph for watering is litmus paper (not the best way to measure but it's better than having nothing).

While i'm waiting for the soil to be delivered i'm going to head into the town and pick up some Ph down and Ph up just to have it on stand-by. I'll post here again next week on Friday 2/6/17. I should be ready to start my grow then.

Hope you guys will follow me on this grow and keep involved with pictures of your own plants too.
See you next week.

What's up guys, MaryJane here. So today I got my W/W seeds and I ordered a bag of Canna Coco Professional Plus which I will be using as my medium for this grow. This is only my second time growing so I still have a lot of stuff to learn. Unfortunately the soil doesn't arrive until next week so I can't start my grow until then. But, on the up side, this does give me time to sort out my grow area. It's going to be homemade from wood, covered in aluminum foil, set with a pc fan (all I can get my hands on for now), a 125watt Cfl bulb/5000 lumens which I am also waiting for.

I don't have a timer for the lights. So its all down to me to be there at the right times to turn them on and off.
All I have to test the Ph for watering is litmus paper (not the best way to measure but it's better than having nothing).

While i'm waiting for the soil to be delivered i'm going to head into the town and pick up some Ph down and Ph up just to have it on stand-by. I'll post here again next week on Friday 2/6/17. I should be ready to start my grow then.

Hope you guys will follow me on this grow and keep involved with pictures of your own plants too.
See you next week.

You're not waiting for anything, you're biding your time :) you've got a week to check your garden space and to read up or ask questions about any doubts or questions you might have about a certain part of it. You might have none but that's highly, very nearly impossible because every grower worries and checks constantly from day dot :) I'll keep up with it mate, good luck and make use of that week!

Hey Tio, All suggestions are welcome and any tips or pointers are appreciated. I will definitely take this into consideration and do a little more research on it before I start growing. I did read before that foil can focus the light on a certain spot because of crinkles and folds causing leaves to burn so I probably will go ahead with the flat white. Thanks for your reply.

JoetheChro you are 100% right. I want to make sure I have the perfect environment ready before I start the grow and I want to have as much information on hand as possible before then. Thanks for your comment and I hope to hear from you again.

No worries mate, my nan always said if you fail to prepare you prepare to fail. I don't think she meant it to be used in this sort of thing but it's served me well nonetheless ;)

Have you used that set up before? The light, fans and thing you're growing in? Minus the box you're building obviously!

No worries mate, my nan always said if you fail to prepare you prepare to fail. I don't think she meant it to be used in this sort of thing but it's served me well nonetheless ;)

Have you used that set up before? The light, fans and thing you're growing in? Minus the box you're building obviously!

I've grown once before this with a similar set up, I had no box so just had the pot in a caravan/mobile home, which was very warm usually around 22 or 23 Celsius. I left it in a room with no windows using 100watt cfls only 1500 lumens and no fan, I also was using a peat soil which has high acidity and bad drainage. Still got some bud but not a great quantity and not great quality. That was a bag seed too and luckily female, so as you can guess for my second grow I'm hoping to achieve better results with the small upgrades I've put in place. I think your nans quote says everything about my first grow, there was almost no preparation and there wasn't great results because of it.

You learn something new every grow and on top of that, this is a good place to be, you can't really stop learning :)

But with that comes the incredible amount of knowledge that comes together through these posts. I've been gardening a fair time and thought I knew a lot until I came on here. The US is way ahead of the habitat I inhabit in terms of the usage of newer technology (to me anyway!) like LED lights. I can get them here but I'd have more chance tying torches (or flashlights ;) to a bicycle wheel and hanging them from the grow tent.

You've done a brilliant job in identifying things that might have affected your last grow. Lights, temperature/humidity, air flow and what you grew in. If you can keep hold of those and remember to check your food (ph, not over or under-watering) then you've got the basic checklist of things to monitor as you grow.

And, you got some smoke from your first grow. I got budrot first time I done a garden and ended up with nothing so you're smashing it at the mo mate, keep it up ;)

What sort of food are you using?

White Widow grow (Indoor)

I actually decided to join this site when I was doing my first grow and this is where I've got most of my information from. It really is a great site and I think the people on here are even better. I am in Ireland myself so I'm kind of in the same situation as yourself in terms of technology etc. It's relatively hard to find the top of the range equipment here and if equipment can be got here it is usually quite expensive.

First time round I tried to keep everything organic, I used manure (added it to the soil too early and added too much which caused the first few leaves to get nute burn) then for flowering stage I added some banana peels which done pretty good but I read that it can actually take nutrients from the soil when bacteria is breaking it down or decomposing it so I probably won't be doing that again. This time round I'm not actually sure what I'm going to use but it will probably be flower power or fox farm trio but this will only be given when the plant starts asking for it until then il just be watering it without feed as the coco coir feeds the plants for up to 5 months itself anyway (so it says). Can you recommend any food to use that you've had success with before? Thanks for the good feedback, really is appreciated.

I actually decided to join this site when I was doing my first grow and this is where I've got most of my information from. It really is a great site and I think the people on here are even better. I am in Ireland myself so I'm kind of in the same situation as yourself in terms of technology etc. It's relatively hard to find the top of the range equipment here and if equipment can be got here it is usually quite expensive.

First time round I tried to keep everything organic, I used manure (added it to the soil to early and added too much which cause the first few leaves to get mite burn) then for flowering stage I added some banana peels which done pretty good but I read that it can actually take nutrients from the soil when bacteria is breaking it down or decomposing it so I probably won't be doing that again. This time round I'm not actually sure what I'm going to use but it will probably be flower power or fox farm trio but this will only be given when the plant starts asking for it until then il just be watering it without feed as the coco coir feeds them for up to 5 months itself anyway.

I don't intentionally use organic/natural food but the canna you're growing in has a similar product for soil which is what I should have bought last grow. They make a nutrient mix specifically for what you're growing in which helps with keeping ph levels in your soil/coco at their best level. It helps in your quest to grow organic and should get you good results.

I'm locked on now mate, I wish you a happy and successful grow :)

Thanks for the link Joe there's a lot of useful information on there and I like how it's not just about growing but also how to identify problems with the plant during growth etc.
Can not wait to start this grow. Thanks again and good luck to you with any future grows of your own .

Dropped both my Cfl's today so not too happy about that, it's another set back. I have a green led light there handy that I could use as a replacement but before I fit it does anyone know what effect green light would have on the plant? Would it be OK to use this color light, understandably it might not be as good as other lighting such as blue or red but would it work as its all I have and I kind of went over my budget for this grow already so don't have the cash to get more bulbs. Hoping to get started Friday so I want to try resolve the issue before then.

I read online it's the least efficient lighting but this doesn't mean that it wouldn't work? I read that it also increases chlorophyll therefore meaning better photosynthesis meaning better growth is what I was thinking but I don't really know, could someone please help me out here, thanks.

Dropped both my Cfl's today so not too happy about that, it's another set back. I have a green led light there handy that I could use as a replacement but before I fit it does anyone know what effect green light would have on the plant? Would it be OK to use this color light, understandably it might not be as good as other lighting such as blue or red but would it work as its all I have and I kind of went over my budget for this grow already so don't have the cash to get more bulbs. Hoping to get started Friday so I want to try resolve the issue before then.

I read online it's the least efficient lighting but this doesn't mean that it wouldn't work? I read that it also increases chlorophyll therefore meaning better photosynthesis meaning better growth is what I was thinking but I don't really know, could someone please help me out here, thanks.

Green light will not work! It isn't absorbed by the plant so it's basically like no light at all.

So ordered the new light online decided to get an led light bar is what it was called 120w with 7500 lumens so this should do the trick, only problem is this won't be here until Tuesday meaning I can't start the grow until then ☹️ but it's going to be worth the wait in the end.

The grow box is coming along too just a small few adjustments to be done and we should be good to go. I'll upload some pics tomorrow so you guys can see what I'm working with.

So ordered the new light online decided to get an led light bar is what it was called 120w with 7500 lumens so this should do the trick, only problem is this won't be here until Tuesday meaning I can't start the grow until then ☹️ but it's going to be worth the wait in the end.

The grow box is coming along too just a small few adjustments to be done and we should be good to go. I'll upload some pics tomorrow so you guys can see what I'm working with.

I've not used LEDs but they get good results on here. The light spectrum your new light puts out should work well. Do you know anything about the sort of light plants need?

White Widow grow (Indoor)

I've not used LEDs but they get good results on here. The light spectrum your new light puts out should work well. Do you know anything about the sort of light plants need?

I don't know much about lights at all just that more watts gives off more energy and I also just go by the lumens as well to try and simulate daylight. But I'm also trying to save the cost of running the lights which is the main reason for choosing cfls and leds.

Back
Top Bottom