Luck33y7's First - Soil - Girl Scout Cookies & Gorilla Glue - 2017

Heavy Cloud

1st Grow and I was gifted some clones
6 plants; 5 Girl Scout Cookies (GSC) and 1 Gorilla Glue (GG)
Hybrid, Veg, Indoor
Soil: Fox Farms Ocean Forest in 5 gallons x 4, 3 gallons x 2
1 x 600 HPS Sealed and exhausted
Temp stays around 78 F/25.5 C, I have the lights set to run at night to keep them warm and off from 3 PM to 9 PM to help keep them cool
RH 55 to 77, PPM from 400 to 700 depending on which fans are running.
Will be adding an CO2, AC, and Dehumidifier #overboard, already hooked up an Environmental Controller.
No pests so far!
Watering every 3rd day
Using Flora Series Performance Pack (started with Mid Growth Measurements). Used full amounts.

They are still in Veg, I had them outside for about 3 weeks waiting for my indoor set up to deliver. They are now happily residing in my (roughly) 4x4x6 grow tent. Just recently started to seal the tent. The tent has an air scrubber hooked to the cooling automation. Kicks on at 78 and exhausts up and out of the tent. The light has constant air running through intake from outside and out to the outside. Right now, there is no CO2 so it has forced air intake to avoid negative pressure/positive pressure. Will be adding passive air intake once CO2 is inside. 2 mini fans keep the air moving.
Outside I was watering every third day or so. Did not use any nutrients until the end of week three and I noticed the leaves were a little droopy. They were very happy to receive much needed nutrients. They have been in the grow tent for one day, so I am still making adjustments here and there.

PICTURE TIME!
Front_Of_Grow.jpg
From_Side.jpg
Gorilla_Glue2.jpg
Light_and_Exhaust.jpg
:420:

About me:
I have always dreamed of growing my own plants. Now 15 years later I am! I have read and theorized how I would grow and now I get to apply all that beautiful knowledge. Of course, most of it forgotten but I like reading and am excited to hear some feedback form experienced growers. I am fortunate enough to have had some funds to apply to my new hobby so I might have went overboard on equipment. I have always been an all or nothing kind of person. So here it goes!!!

Better lighting :)
Side_View_GL.jpg
Good_Light_Front.jpg
Good_Light_Above.jpg
GL_Gorilla_Glue.jpg

re: Luck33y7's First - Soil - Girl Scout Cookies & Gorilla Glue - 2017

I did not like having these outdoors for pest reasons. There were spiders and flying insects everywhere. They have been fine but I think I have seen a few aphids. Any advice for getting rid of these little flying monsters? Also any advice for sealing and adding CO2? Worth it or not?

Also any pointers on nutrients. The plants already had some burn on them on the tips and drooping leaves. I just think that was standard for clones??? I alternated to just water today just for fear of any nutrient burn.

So today I added catch pots underneath the ladies and dehumidifier set at 55. I also added about 12 baby pray mantis that will hopefully kill the aphids. I saw only one in the last two days and took care of it. They are the small flying grasshopper looking dudes. So I have only seen 2 and was able to get 2 out...

Humidity was getting up to 70 but with the dehumidifier it is back down to 54.

06/04/2017 I watered the biggest GSC since she was drinking a lot of water. Some of the leaves curl and point left or right at the very tip. Everything else seems normal. I think I only noticed this after looking at all the other fine ladies here in the forums. Will be keeping a close eye. In fact lights should be on, I think I will go hang with the ladies and examine for a bit :)

So with humidity being lower temps went a bit high. Adjusted the humidifier and misted some water into the tent and it settled back into 55 RH and 77 F. It was 44 RH and 80 F. Whoops, not where I wanted the specs to be. Mind blown lol.

some pictures of all the ladies
Progress_June4.jpg
Progress2_June4.jpg

Also I am posting some pictures of somethings I think are weird on the plant. They could have been there from the beginning but I am posting pictures of some of the bottom leaves and new growth. All plants are showing the similar signs. The GG looks the healthiest and in the beginning it looked the most "burnt". Again these are clones so I do not know if this is normal for them or not. When I received them they all were a bit "burnt"

Nutrients_Issue_6.jpg
Nutrients_Issue_5.jpg
Nutrients_Issue_4.jpg
Nutrients_Issue_3.jpg
Nutrients_Issue_2.jpg
Nutrients_Issue_1.jpg

Ok so again first grow. And I think I am not feeding them enough nutrients. I have been using full formula for 1 gallon but feeding about 4 gallons of water. So, I am guessing that is 1/4 of what they should be getting. Some help would be greatly appreciated. They have been in fox farms ocean forest for 3 weeks and then I added 1/4 of feeding amount. Then watered twice without nutrients. Today I watered with only 1/4 again. After some research I am thinking the ladies have deficiencies. The leaves will curl up and down...even twist, and also about 3 out of all the plants a middle leaf turned yellow. Next watering I am using full strength. I spoke with the person who gifted me the clones and they said to move the light away, all the way to the top and let them stretch. He keeps his girls at 84 F so I am not so worried about heat anymore. RH is at 45 - 50. Found 2 aphids and the Mantis are out and about, hopefully they are taking care of biz.

Notes about Plants. GG is drinking lots of water and growing a lot. The other GSC's are catching up. Really cool to see such rapid growth :)

Well today the AC unit came. It is a dual port so it pulls air in to cool the condenser and then exhaust the air out. The air in the tent recirculates. So I also took the air from the scrubber and just looped it back down to the bottom of the tent. I figured all would be well...well the RH went up way too high. Like 70 high. The dehumidifier in that room said it could handle 2200 sq ft. I then read the spec and it removes about 24 oz a day which equates to maybe 2 pts. With the AC in there, the room is minimal lol and to add a 30 pt dehumidifier is going to be a trick.

Until I find a solution the AC unit doubles as a dehumidifier. So I am setting the AC to Dehumidify during the cooler times of day and we will see if I need to set it to cool in the hotter times...

I am now realizing the environmental controller is overkill since everything I am plugging in has its own monitoring system. I am going to try and exchange that for a dehumidifier, and a co2 controller and tank. :) wish me luck

Oh I also watered and fed for 6 plants instead of 1 and 1/2 plants :) They should be happy.

Sad update with pests: Saw an Aphid today, a spider, and a teeny tiny black crawly. Attempted remove and I am 3/6 now overall. Not cool.

Here's an updated pic of the ladies, w/ AC unit ughh...they have grown!

wac.jpg
wac2.jpg

vs 3 days before...

Progress_June4.jpg

Maybe it is just more crowded ;)

Day 9 in the tent

UPDATED PICTURES; added 30 pt. dehumidifier and all is well. This 30 is just a stand in until the 50 pt arrives. I imagine during flower the humidity will be even higher requiring a bigger dehumidifier. If not I am still ok and it isn't much more money. Better safe than sorry in my case.

update33.jpg

well I was also going to let you know the final temp and rh but breaker popped and I had to do a little relocating of power. Laundry day on same circuit no worky.

I think it was resting around 78 f and 46 rh

Day 12 in tent

So AC taken out, not going to work. I could still seal the tent and do CO2 since it would compensate for the higher temps but I will probably be leaving it as is. Right now everything exhausts out and I have one intake fan just to keep the negative pressure even and also it adds a nice flow in the tent.

I ended up giving the ladies a good trim and fed them just water. They needed it and have decided to grow a few inches every day. They are looking good.

20170609_142215_-_Copy.jpg

20170609_142202_-_Copy.jpg

20170609_142150_-_Copy.jpg

vs

20170604_223531_-_Copy.jpg

Will get better quality pictures soon, sorry my new phone cam is lame

Day 13 in tent.

Concern about iron deficiency in a few plants. New leaves are pale green and showing some weird signs. My PH is right at about 7 and I am watering with regular water every other feed. Plants are wanting water almost every other day now.

Let me know if anyone has any advice or input.

Heres some pictures of what I am talking about, notice the picture of all the plants its the two on the left showing the most signs. For awhile the leaves would start pale but get their color back. These two are not liking it and are in 3 gallon pots rather than 5. Some of the others still show new leaves with pale green starting from the stem of new growth.

All_plants6.jpg

Iron_Maybe.jpg

Earlier_Iron_Maybe.jpg

Hey buddy looking good. I'll sub in for this. I'm on my first grow as well after thinking about it for 20 years. I'm also all or nothing. If you check out my journal you'll see. Your buddy was probably right about the light. Would also move my PH closer to 6.5 but not all at once. Maybe drop half next feed then down further the feed after. Nitrogen is picked up at the bottom end of the spectrum. Anyway. The plants look healthy and big.

Had my bud come look at the set up he was happy the ladies were happy. The light could be closer but just said move it up as they move up, that way I am not stunting growth. The PH is a tough one since I have had no luck with those pens. Maybe I will get some strips or invest in a better pen. I do have some of those metal probes on the way. Either way I will lower the PH slowly and keep an eye on it.

I am leaving for a vaca and have someone feeding them, so I will just have them water with plain water for about 2 feeds. Then when I come back I will re-assess.

I will drop in to see your journal for sure! Thanks again for subbing in :welcome:

OK so I used a PH test kit where you add 3-5 drops of test into a tube 1/2 filled with solution/drainoff/ect ect. Everything was at a PH of 6, so my initial theory is off and I will be researching what else it might be. Maybe still not enough Iron/Magnesium. Off to do some research!

Oh yeah watered the rest of the ladies today, used full strength. The other 2 drank up and pots were light so topped them off with just water.

OK so I used a PH test kit where you add 3-5 drops of test into a tube 1/2 filled with solution/drainoff/ect ect. Everything was at a PH of 6, so my initial theory is off and I will be researching what else it might be. Maybe still not enough Iron/Magnesium. Off to do some research!

Oh yeah watered the rest of the ladies today, used full strength. The other 2 drank up and pots were light so topped them off with just water.

What kind of nutes are you using. What is your feed amount and how often.

I am using the general hydroponics flora series. General Hydroponics – Grow indoor. Grow outdoor. Grow with us.
it is the drain to waste. I was using late growth 3 and just the last watering switched to transition 4.

so full strength for the last couple waterings, but only adding nutrients every other water. I do let 20% drain out

micro 5, gro 5 and bloom 2.5, rapid start 2.5, floralicious plus 1, flora blend 5 mil. (that is late growth 3) all measurements x4

Now I have just started using full strength because I was mixing full strength for only 1 gallon but watering all plants with 4 gallons (rookie move :))

So I watered 2 rounds of full strength growth stage 3 and just recently, yesterday, full strength transition. I do not have Cal Mag and have noticed that could fix some problems for a lot of trouble shooting. Thanks So2178, let me know if you need any other info. I do use an inline filter from the hose, one of those RV ones.

I use same line right now. Gonna switch after this grow. Just too much measuring. Right now per gallon I use
4ml silicate
5ml calmag
5ml grow
3.5ml micro
2.5ml bloom
1.5ml flora blend
2ml diamond nectar
10 drops or 1ml rapid start
20 drops or2ml floralicous plus
Good pinch Epsom salts
Gets me right about 650 ppm.
Calmag will definitely help same with the Epsom salts if you see purplish stems you need the Epsom.

Hey Lucky
How are your plants going? I'm loving the look of your tent/set-up. And your plants looked good, especially for your first grow! Update us when you get a chance. Mine are hanging in there. I'm hoping my Grow Number 2 is going to be a smoother ride. This 420 Community is a great help for rookies like me!

Sorry...just saw you're on holidays. Reading your journal is so familiar cos I've had the same little challenges e.g. Power problems, nute burn, curly leaves. I think yours are healthier than mine though! I'll get a pic for you soon for after you're back from vacation.

Hey Lucky was browsing and saw ur journal re: A/C problems. I built an insulated room for my tent in the attic and have 2 portable A/C units in the room both rated to cool a 10'x25' room and my room is only around 7'x7' with a 4'x4' tent in it. A/Cs still would not keep temps down (both A/Cs outside tent with passive flaps open). Tried putting one inside tent but they pull in hot air and blow cold so didn't work well with one inside the tent either. Long story short, I had to get creative and have been on cruise control since. Here's a pic of my genius engineering...
420-magazine-mobile906434343.jpg

Girls seem happy stays around 79F, and I have a 70 pint dehumidifier on outside of tent to help dry the air although still have to dump reservoir in D/h everyday. Unbelievable how much moisture in the air up there. I'm Day 40 Flower so not taking any chances!! Good luck to you you're girls look good

Back
Top Bottom