Cypher's First Grow

Cypher Labs

Welcome to Cypher's very first, official indoor garden!
It's been a long time coming, waited many years for
legality and space. Not much space though as this
will be an indoor closet grow.

GOAL: Dense, quality medicine.
Style attempting: Double FLUX. Should I be? NO..
Inspiration x Light Addict.

6/30/2017 Beginning of germination:
Thermal coffee mug, stainless and plastic material:
Sat on my gaming PC to keep around 76 degrees.
PPM of tap water 226.

Seed: Bubba Kush & Purple Urkle, as stated by a friend.
Just going to call them bag seed for now. The seedlings
are looking "optimistically fat" :) Which also has me
a little nervous, hoping for no serious plant health issues.
No idea which is which, let the excitement begin?

7/04/17: Planted & lightly covered in sandy loam soil.
4" x 3.5" Plastic cups.

7/06/17: Decided to move them into their permanent home
early. Wasn't comfortable transplanting a cube full of roots yet.

Most of my supplies are going to be DIY or things that were lying around.

Grow medium: 20 gallon plastic tote.

Soil: Rich sandy loam soil mixed with some forest moss.
(Cleaned as much as possible removing root and pests)

Lighting: Poor - Only 1 25w CFL & 1 5000k LED
Set just close enough to not harm the seedlings,
Waiting for x4 6500K 40w LED cob's. Keeping them on 24/7.
Considering using just CFL's throughout vegetation (18/6)
Then a custom LED cob setup for flowering (12/12)

NPK: Organic. N: Simply relying on the nightcrawler worms that
were adopted while gathering soil. May need more in the future.
P: Sand & Glacial sediment. K: Oak log ash. Burned without lighter fluid.
Collected the ash by spraying some water on it and scooping it up.

Humidity from outdoors: 67% Average temp indoor: 76 degrees Fahrenheit.

Concerns: 1: Not enough air in soil, need to pick up perlite,
or more worm castings to create more N & air pockets? :)
2: Root Rot/Drainage
3: Spider mites (Killed one main spider mite, the large female gross one)
Neem Oil locked and loaded.
4: Mildew.

Any advice or suggestions are very welcomed! On a tight budget of course
but always planning ahead and building as the time goes. With all the love
and care given to these plants they should do ok :)

Pictures taken 7/11/17 :Namaste:

Indica_Seedling_2.jpg

DIY_Tall_Water_Bottle_Humidity_Dome.jpg

Indica_Seedling_1.jpg

Medicinal_Therometer.jpg

Indica_Seedling_Plant_3.jpg

Sandy_Loam_Soil_with_Moss.jpg

Nightcrawlers_Nitrogen.jpg

Wood_Ash_Potassium.jpg

Sorry for the delay in posting. Had a lot going on with these 2, good and bad. Initially I though my pH was way off from the leaf twisting, or some deficiency, until a flying aphid flew off one of the leaves into my face >:( Exact species I've seen images of from my research.

Wars on!

Starting soil pH was around 6.8 - 7.0. I wanted to learn and test some things out, as well as drop it a little. I used 3 drops lemon juice in a one gallon of partially purified tap water. (Starting ppm of tap: 255, After running it through a Keurig: 109) Regular coffee maker did not work, neither did boiling lol. I then added 8 grams of crushed Rock phosphate, or soft phosphatic sedimentary rock (from mother earth) :)
I called it Phosphatic pH down. The stunting growth I was experiencing was eliminated within 4 hours after watering 1 cup of the mixture around each plant.

When they were starting out, I accidentally dropped some oak wood ash on some leaves and it did burn them! Balanced my soil though :)

PROBLEMS: N Deficiency & ROOT APHIDS >:( I thought it was nutrient salt build-up at first the way the leaves were looking, twisting with browning on the very tips. I took care of that just in case with brown sugar water. 3/4 of a cup to one gallon. Prior to that, added an extra atom of oxygen throughout the soil (peroxide) Those additions help give them strength to carry through for a week, but the root aphid problem is back. Soil is not muddy, or too wet.

I'd be very grateful if anyone has any tips for an organic, quick way to slow down these aphids while I order some things.. :thumb:
Lastly, I'll be putting in more, lighter soil mix to fill in the medium, close to the fluxing central :love: for smoother training. I don't think these are kush plant's either anymore with their 3-finger leaves & genetics, they really do not like heat over 73 degrees.

IMG_123551.JPG

IMG_122051.JPG

IMG_121840.JPG

IMG_121348.JPG

IMG_123746.JPG

IMG_123644.JPG

chem_flux.png

IMG_120943.JPG

IMG_121045.JPG

Aphid pest problem got a little worse in a few hours, by worse I mean plants vigor, leaf twisting. Also seen more small flying pests around and about.

Credit to TheHillbilly, had to make quick alterations to the garlic/oil mixture due to the severity of things; Used 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped, 2 drops of dawn + 2 tsp's extra virgin olive oil, mixed & swirled in a pint spray bottle for a few minutes, let sit; repeat. I know I didn't complete the process unfortunately but feeling desperate. Misted onto the top of my soil across the medium. Smells pretty bad lol. Wish me luck..

Update, nearly 24 hours later: The mixture had no visible negative effects on the plants. Gave them a nice protective coating.
Spotted a thrip crawling just a bit ago.. Repeated the process except this time covering a lot more area.
I can say that I have every common pest unfortunately :( I really don't think my girl in the back is going to survive this.
On a positive note I watched a few gnats crawl for their lives out of my grow area lol

As for the nitrogen deficiency, well.. After testing pH balance and nitrogen content 3 times I think I've come up with a quick organic alternative. More on that in my next post if it works.. It's safe to say I've been given a strain that's not so forgiving on a first time grower, that and the whole pests thing... Slightly slow growth, early red leaf stemming accompanied by some purple, tri-fingered leaves up to 4th node. I havn't mentioned but these little plants REEK of dank. Noticed it 2nd week, quite pleasant.
(please be chemdawg.. please be chemdawg! :circle-of-love: (I realize I said that they can't be kush plants and that was quite ignorant please forgive me :p

Organic Nitrogen test 3x adjusted: After result in next post.
IMG_126038.JPG

Update: Made deep tunnels with a metal rod, 4 tunnels around each plant to make sure I hit all areas with nutrients.

2 hour result: Leaves drooping from over watering, to me this was good because I knew I was able to reach my problems at all angles beneath the soil. pH of my water was a bit high nearing 7, but sufficient in organic Nitrogen.

Here are some of my creations so far. Eventually I would like to combine all 3 safely resulting in organic NPK 3-3-3. Close. Oak wood ash in the small black container.
IMG_126534.JPG

IMG_126736.JPG

IMG_126940.JPG

Subbed and up keep up the good work on the plants. I've only had pest one time and I literally threw the whole plant away it was an infestation and she was still young. I think it came from the soil I was using so I threw that away as well. Cleaned myself cleaned the tent cleaned the room etc etc. Haven't seen any since and I'm glad that its not a problem that I have to contend with on a normal.

Subbed and up keep up the good work on the plants. I've only had pest one time and I literally threw the whole plant away it was an infestation and she was still young. I think it came from the soil I was using so I threw that away as well. Cleaned myself cleaned the tent cleaned the room etc etc. Haven't seen any since and I'm glad that its not a problem that I have to contend with on a normal.

Awesome thanks :) It's been pretty quiet in this thread lol Nevertheless, I'll be keeping up on posts and photo content with out-of-the-norm ideas, love experimenting. Sucks you had to resort to that! And I was worried about enough nutrition.. Until I watched the life being sucked out of the plants by these things.. :0

I basically jumped the gun on this grow because once I moved, I was overly excited and started quickly.
It's damn good organic soil don't get me wrong but it sure spawns a lot of stuff..
With legality and location aside, I smoke medicinally to alleviate the Autism spectrum, serious OCD attacks from a panic disorder and child abuse. My brain literally gets caught in repetitive movements and when I become medicated It's completely gone. No OCD.
I think this strain will do well for these symptoms, funny how I said "it can't be kush" when they have every OG trait, super fat fingers atm. I know there's many many strains but I'm optimistic :) Obsessive research usually results in quite an accurate conclusion.

Welcome & enjoy the journey :)

So, as promised, the "organic nitrogen" quick fix; It's something a lot of people consider a plant killer, or "too acidic". Filter 2x it's the exact opposite. Coffee grounds. Green mountain coffee cups for keurig. (keurig strikes again) Just filtered twice. Once to make it, taken back out and ran again. The acidity will be gone. 4 average spoonfuls per gallon into pre-pH'd water lol. Which I also filtered through my keurig LOL.. Worms were not working out for me in such a large medium. Definitely was not a slow release done right as my plants sprung back up and darkened in 8 hours. Anything like this should definitely be tested first. It's been nearly 3 days and the growth rate is still improving, and they want more :) The pH was no where near acidic at 6.9. Tomorrow evening I will be combining my "phosphatic pH down" With the 6.9 N. (I used 10 grams of powdered soft phosphatic sedimentary rock) Next will do 20 since it was a bit light.

3-3-3.

Yea its usually pretty quiet for newbies like us unless you've been following someone and eventually they will follow your grow. When they flower is when you will eventually see more people. Bubba Kush well atleast the pre 98 bubba I had was some of the best I use to get when I first started smoking and purple urkle has always been a good go to. Its good to know that this plants helps people medically I'm just a smoker that likes bud although I'm very particular about what I want and like to feel like. And we all jump the gun especially when we first start growing there are so many experiments and things to do when trying to achieve a better yield and or maximize space as well as better cultivating techniques. I want to eventually get into organic growing I think making my own soil would be something special.

One week later: good growth, on my second topping on each. Had a nitrogen tox last week but it balanced out into the soil.
Training is a bit wild, taking them towards the back left of the medium, then will be filling in the center, and right sides. I had no plan for that so it's a bit of a maze.

IMG_152934.JPG

IMG_151934.JPG

IMG_152440.JPG

End of journal, it's over. There has been some negative events around me lately. People's words and planes over my home even in legality. To make this quick I just wanted to say I love 420Magazine as a community and I thank all of the good people here for the humble knowledge and love.
It was a problem before this post but I was optimistic as well as spiritually happy with what I was doing, so I kept hangin on. I will be back in time. <3 Cypher

End of journal, it's over. There has been some negative events around me lately. People's words and planes over my home even in legality. To make this quick I just wanted to say I love 420Magazine as a community and I thank all of the good people here for the humble knowledge and love.
It was a problem before this post but I was optimistic as well as spiritually happy with what I was doing, so I kept hangin on. I will be back in time. <3 Cypher
Sorry bro hopefully things will die down for you

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

I'm sorry it didn't work out. I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom