First Grow Take 2 - White Widow & Skunk #1

Nu2grow

This is my 2nd attempt at a first grow. The first didn't do too well because my lights were not providing enough light. They are still alive but have moved to the back yard and still not getting enough light. I just couldn't bring myself to throw them away. Maybe I'll get a flower or two. The new setup seems to be working great. I bought a 32"×32"×63" tent for around $60 and a 450w viparspectra led with a veg and a bloom setting for $140. I ordered a variety of seeds from seedsman.com. They have a great selection and also send free seeds with every order. I started 1 white widow, 1skunk #1 and 2 critical kush. The critical (free seeds) were duds but at least I didn't pay for them. The skunk and ww are going great. They were planted on July 1st and broke the surface on the 3rd. They got their first feeding last Friday and 24 hours later had almost doubled in size. I'll upload some pics when I get home this afternoon.

re: First Grow Take 2 - White Widow & Skunk #1

Here are the pics
420-magazine-mobile729333769.jpg

Skunk

420-magazine-mobile507245378.jpg

White Widow

I noticed some yellowing lower leaves on my skunk girl last night. Not sure if it got too hot in the tent or if she is not ready for feeding every time I water. She may have gotten too dry. After the first failed grow I'm trying to keep from over watering. I gave them both a good amount of filtered water last night. She looks a little better this morning. Anybody have tgoughts?

I noticed some yellowing lower leaves on my skunk girl last night. Not sure if it got too hot in the tent or if she is not ready for feeding every time I water. She may have gotten too dry. After the first failed grow I'm trying to keep from over watering. I gave them both a good amount of filtered water last night. She looks a little better this morning. Anybody have tgoughts?

Two.
One.. if you can flip\rotate your photos before uploading (or turn your camera), makes life easier for everyone. lol

Those look like 5 gallon pots, would think one good soak last friday as you previously mentioned would have been good for 5-7days.
How hot is\was hot? Sort of doesn't look like heat stress to me, as bottom leaves (tops usually effected most) effected but new growth clean, could have been under-watering maybe but you fed the 5 days ago, but almost looks like nute deficiency sort of like Potassium. I'm total noob though so again big grain of salt with anything I say about this sort of thing. How far are you lights from the plants btw?

Two.
One.. if you can flip\rotate your photos before uploading (or turn your camera), makes life easier for everyone. lol

Those look like 5 gallon pots, would think one good soak last friday as you previously mentioned would have been good for 5-7days.
How hot is\was hot? Sort of doesn't look like heat stress to me, as bottom leaves (tops usually effected most) effected but new growth clean, could have been under-watering maybe but you fed the 5 days ago, but almost looks like nute deficiency sort of like Potassium. I'm total noob though so again big grain of salt with anything I say about this sort of thing. How far are you lights from the plants btw?
Lights are about 18 inches from the plants. Those are actually 1 liter pots. The plan is to move them to 7 gallon smart pots next week and then they should be ready to be topped and begin lst. But I'd rather they be in good shape before transplanting. I'll have to check the nutrients label to see what the potassium level is.

I have a viparspectra 450 (vdr450), though not in use in my grow atm, mine doesn't suggest that low for early veg (first two weeks after seedling stage), says 20-26", and that's after starting out much higher for first 5-7 days. /just saying But if that was the problem you'd see it on the top parts I would think and they look healthy to my eye. 1 liters... yeah maybe it was water after all... as for nutes it would surprise me if what ever soil your using didn't have enough though this early on, unless ph is just off so it can't use it. If doesn't improve in next day or so maybe post in problem forum.

I think it may have been under watering I had some over watering issues the first go around so I've only been watering when they were really dry. The ph is 6.5 so no problem there. I'm using Dyna-gro liquid about 3 tsp per gallon. Can anyone recommend what NPK levels should be for a soil grow?

Yesterday afternoon it was 82 degrees in the tent I have opened some vents in the tent. If that doesn't work I'll have to look for a vent fan. I have a 12 inch oscillating fan in with them now.

IDK about cutting them, you might want to just leave them for now, maybe in week or two (when you have even more leaves on the plant) you can chop a 1/3rd of the leaf off, I could be wrong but it might help you to leave them for now to "watch" them in that if they get don't get worse you've probably corrected the problem, tips there will not recover but that's ok, and the good part toward the stem are likely still functioning fine.

As for the food... wait for maybe someone else with more experiance to say something, but yeah I think that n-p-k is off for veg stage of weed.. more in line with flower stage maybe though the nitro might still be a little high for flower.

My understanding is something more along the lines of 1-1-1 ratio (not direct numbers) or 3-1-2 ish for veg. and 1-3-2 for most of full flower weeks, less on tail end total and more veg'ish on front end. Either way I agree 7-9-5 seems too high in P for veg. I know very little about this stuff though so don't take my word for it.

Something around this though is what I read most often beyond 1-1-1 generic.

ratios:
Vegetative Stage
N - P - K
3 - 1 - 2

Flowering Stage
N - P - K
1 - 1 - 2

Final Flowering Stage
N - P - K
0 - 1 - 2

ALL OF THAT SAID... I don't think you need to be feeding nutes to your plant just yet (prior to this week I mean), seems soil should of had enough itself for first 2-3 weeks.

Understanding NPK

My girls are still looking pretty good. We will officially be 3 weeks old tomorrow. I'm ordering better nutes this weekend. Should be here by Tuesday (gotta love Amazon prime). I think I may move them to 7 gallon smart pots this weekend. The 6th set of leaves are just sprouting. Hope to top and start LST next weekend. Hopefully they will have gotten used to their new home and be happy by then.

Remember, 1 gallon is about equal to 1 day of watering before it dries out. My 5 gallons are usually good for the next week growing in leds. Just order the new iguana juice from advanced nutrients. They always gave me great buds. Only nutes i use whem doing organic. Right now im using blue planet nutrients

Remember, 1 gallon is about equal to 1 day of watering before it dries out. My 5 gallons are usually good for the next week growing in leds. Just order the new iguana juice from advanced nutrients. They always gave me great buds. Only nutes i use whem doing organic. Right now im using blue planet nutrients
Thanks I'll look for iguana juice on Amazon. .

Soil type and brand? Are you running a mix soil? The nutes are definitely a problem and I would run just clear ph'd water and wait.

As for nutes... Google is your friend...

VEG
High N
Medium P
Low K

SECOND WEEK OF FLOWER
Low N
Medium-High P
Medium-Low K

Now this is where experience and knowledge comes into play. Some say more K for dense buds others say staying high with P will produce larger buds.

Don't forget Micro Nutes like calcium, magnesium, sulphate, etc.

Water is also important and can hinder good nutrient uptake. Are you using tap water? There's a good amount of variables in play but off to a good start.

Love to see how the leds perform, i am Super Cheap. I am currently running a micro CFL grow running 8 x 23 actual watts and 3 x 13 actual watts with mixed spectrum. Leds seemed more cost-effective as far as you get bloom and veg lights in one unit that doesn't produce heat.

Nectar of the Gods has a sample package of Nutes and all you pay is shipping costs. It's a steal at that price and it's a family operated all organic company.

Anyway's just my two cents, excited to follow this grow and good luck.

@AKGrower907 It's a pantry that I took a shelf out of to make 30ish inches of height. Hence the CFLs, I have two 400 watt Metal Halide lamps that I have been itching to setup. Can't use them because of space and cultivation laws here in Az that I won't go into. Also, in November I plan on moving to CO so only a grow is not worth the investment of setting them up. Although I may trade or sell to get leds if this grow produces a good harvest/growth because of good lighting. No, I am not basing it all on this but it is getting me to lean more and more.

Back
Top Bottom