LED Bag Seed Closet Grow

GrnThmbs

Hey everyone, I'm new to 420mag and thought I would start a journal over here for anyone to follow along and offer advice or support!

So the girls I've got right now are under one 300 Watt LED about 20 in above the canopy. Temps are between 78-84 with the light on and around 72-75 with the light off. I don't have the best ventilation other than the door being constantly open (got the windows blacked out so night light comes in or out). There's an oscillating fan in the corner that constantly runs and small fan being used to help create humidity (rag in bowl method). They're planted in 1 gal pots right now in Happy Frog soil 2:1 perlite. No nutes have been added yet and today is the 21 day mark. They have also both been topped one time (4 days ago) and have recovered nicely. The nutes I have on hand are super thrive (virtually nothing) and Alaska Fish Fert. 5-1-1. Will I be okay with this or should I try and get some better nutes? My goal is 2-4 ounces off each plant but if I don't make my goal, I'm not gonna be upset. This is really my first grow, as the first one never made it to flower due to being male. I've also gotta order more soil if I plant to upsize pots again at any point in their life. I've also been wondering if I should prune some of the lower leaves and possibly one set of the upper leaves to allow light to reach the lower branches making them stretch and possibly become another cola?

Anyways, here's some pics for everyone to check out.

Plant 1:
420-magazine-mobile1002471414.jpg
420-magazine-mobile690032430.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1110487928.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1024374066.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1612557432.jpg

Plant 2:
420-magazine-mobile1240094822.jpg
420-magazine-mobile710161383.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1279035907.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1555621171.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1105854697.jpg

Side by side:
420-magazine-mobile1540971135.jpg

Thanks for any input at all and Happy Growing!

Hey everyone, I'm new to 420mag and thought I would start a journal over here for anyone to follow along and offer advice or support!

So the girls I've got right now are under one 300 Watt LED about 20 in above the canopy. Temps are between 78-84 with the light on and around 72-75 with the light off. I don't have the best ventilation other than the door being constantly open (got the windows blacked out so night light comes in or out). There's an oscillating fan in the corner that constantly runs and small fan being used to help create humidity (rag in bowl method). They're planted in 1 gal pots right now in Happy Frog soil 2:1 perlite. No nutes have been added yet and today is the 21 day mark. They have also both been topped one time (4 days ago) and have recovered nicely. The nutes I have on hand are super thrive (virtually nothing) and Alaska Fish Fert. 5-1-1. Will I be okay with this or should I try and get some better nutes? My goal is 2-4 ounces off each plant but if I don't make my goal, I'm not gonna be upset. This is really my first grow, as the first one never made it to flower due to being male. I've also gotta order more soil if I plant to upsize pots again at any point in their life. I've also been wondering if I should prune some of the lower leaves and possibly one set of the upper leaves to allow light to reach the lower branches making them stretch and possibly become another cola?

Anyways, here's some pics for everyone to check out.

Plant 1:
420-magazine-mobile1002471414.jpg
420-magazine-mobile690032430.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1110487928.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1024374066.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1612557432.jpg

Plant 2:
420-magazine-mobile1240094822.jpg
420-magazine-mobile710161383.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1279035907.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1555621171.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1105854697.jpg

Side by side:
420-magazine-mobile1540971135.jpg

Thanks for any input at all and Happy Growing!

I'll tune in :) I'm also a noob - your ladies are very very green! I'd recommend not fertilizing until you get a more balanced fertilizer with less focus on the N and more focus on the PK. May I ask what make your LED is?

I'll tune in :) I'm also a noob - your ladies are very very green! I'd recommend not fertilizing until you get a more balanced fertilizer with less focus on the N and more focus on the PK. May I ask what make your LED is?

Glad to have ya! The LED is a Bloomspect I believe. It was a last minute cheaper pick up..its registered 300 but draws around 180 actual watts according to the manufacturer card (if I remember correctly). I haven't added any nutrients at all so far and didn't plant to for another week or so at least. I was just wondering if the AFF will suffice or not?

Glad to have ya! The LED is a Bloomspect I believe. It was a last minute cheaper pick up..its registered 300 but draws around 180 actual watts according to the manufacturer card (if I remember correctly). I haven't added any nutrients at all so far and didn't plant to for another week or so at least. I was just wondering if the AFF will suffice or not?
The AFF should suffice up until you flip, but I would use it very sparingly due to high N - what is your water source and do you have any PH testing equip?

You're definitely going to want to get a good bloom fertilizer based on what I've read & from my experience so far.

You may also want to employ a variety of supercropping/lst to increase your yields! What is your current light cycle?

The AFF should suffice up until you flip, but I would use it very sparingly due to high N - what is your water source and do you have any PH testing equip?

You're definitely going to want to get a good bloom fertilizer based on what I've read & from my experience so far.

You may also want to employ a variety of supercropping/lst to increase your yields! What is your current light cycle?

I've been pH'ing tap water to between 6.7-6.9 with no nutrients. I also plan to do some LST in the next few days, maybe even today to try and expose those lower arms. She's on an 18-6 schedule right now

I've been pH'ing tap water to between 6.7-6.9 with no nutrients. I also plan to do some LST in the next few days, maybe even today to try and expose those lower arms. She's on an 18-6 schedule right now
Well it sounds like you're on the right track, and judging by the leaf development, you're working with some good genetics! I'm sure as your journal progresses, some more experienced members will drop in to lend a helping hand. I'm excited to see you succeed with this and if no one has told you yet, welcome to 420mag . happy growing, friend.

You're the first to welcome me so thank you .lol and I'm sure I'll have more people tune in as I get closer to flower..people wanna see the big beautiful buds rather than the vegging plants and I don't blame them! Bud pics are a lot prettier .

So I actually decided to again and start some LST on these girls. One of the fan leaves on plant two kinda tore on me a little bit..it should be fine though right?

Plant 1:
420-magazine-mobile1333303903.jpg

Plant 2:
420-magazine-mobile1121174781.jpg

Any tips on how to better train these girls is very welcome!

So I actually decided to again and start some LST on these girls. One of the fan leaves on plant two kinda tore on me a little bit..it should be fine though right?

Plant 1:
420-magazine-mobile1333303903.jpg

Plant 2:
420-magazine-mobile1121174781.jpg

Any tips on how to better train these girls is very welcome!
Don't worry about the fan leaf, trust me, it will grow many many more! As for better training? Everyone will tell you different things. I myself gave up on LST and employed the technique of quite literally snapping branches nearly in half - this is what I've ended up with so far
420-magazine-mobile1066527820.jpg

But not everyone likes high stress training :) the method I use is called supercropping if you'd like to research it.

Don't worry about the fan leaf, trust me, it will grow many many more! As for better training? Everyone will tell you different things. I myself gave up on LST and employed the technique of quite literally snapping branches nearly in half - this is what I've ended up with so far
420-magazine-mobile1066527820.jpg

But not everyone likes high stress training :) the method I use is called supercropping if you'd like to research it.

Yeah I've done a little bit of reading on supercropping but I think I wanna stick with the lower stress training this grow. I may implement some HST in my next grow

I don't remember if I've asked or not but are you planning on buying a second light for flowering or just using the one? Subbed up too

Yeah I've done a little bit of reading on supercropping but I think I wanna stick with the lower stress training this grow. I may implement some HST in my next grow
LST is definitely the safer method from what I've read. I've had a few hiccups where I've needed to tape branches back together. To best utilize your space and to avoid constant upkeep of tying the plants down, I think a SCROG would be very fitting for your setup and allow for an even and full canopy .

I don't remember if I've asked or not but are you planning on buying a second light for flowering or just using the one? Subbed up too

I honestly haven't decided yet..at least whether I'm gonna add another LED or a few CFL's. the lowes here has some CFL's that are 5000K and put out roughly 4800 lumens per bulb so I was honestly thinking about grabbing one of those? But if I have the money when flower rolls around or before then I will definitely be getting another LED.

LST is definitely the safer method from what I've read. I've had a few hiccups where I've needed to tape branches back together. To best utilize your space and to avoid constant upkeep of tying the plants down, I think a SCROG would be very fitting for your setup and allow for an even and full canopy .

I haven't looked into much scrog info. I'll have to check that out and I know I can ask @LedGuy74 about it cause he made a scrog in pictured in his journal for $10 I believe he said? I'm sure he will chime in lol

I honestly haven't decided yet..at least whether I'm gonna add another LED or a few CFL's. the lowes here has some CFL's that are 5000K and put out roughly 4800 lumens per bulb so I was honestly thinking about grabbing one of those? But if I have the money when flower rolls around or before then I will definitely be getting another LED.

2 ounces a plant with that light isn't unobtainable but it's not super easy in my opinion.. at the very least I'd recommend adding some CFL around the edges where the light doesn't directly shine come flower. The last thing you want to do is have to raise the led up to cover both plants it'll sacrifice quality and yield so keep it around 14"-12" away in flower and add some CFL around the edges. that's of course just a guess you'll get a better idea when the time comes. But of course if you have the money for a second led by flower I'd recommend that because using 1 led per plant will make 3-4+ a plant a breeze if it pulls 180W each imo. Eventually switching to a tent for better light reflection would help too if that's an option. But again 2 ounces a plant can probably be done fairly easy for someone with experience it's just easier to cover a larger plant with a single light imo in this situation.

2 ounces a plant with that light isn't unobtainable but it's not super easy in my opinion.. at the very least I'd recommend adding some CFL around the edges where the light doesn't directly shine come flower. The last thing you want to do is have to raise the led up to cover both plants it'll sacrifice quality and yield so keep it around 14"-12" away in flower and add some CFL around the edges. that's of course just a guess you'll get a better idea when the time comes. But of course if you have the money for a second led by flower I'd recommend that because using 1 led per plant will make 3-4+ a plant a breeze if it pulls 180W each imo. Eventually switching to a tent for better light reflection would help too if that's an option. But again 2 ounces a plant can probably be done fairly easy for someone with experience it's just easier to cover a larger plant with a single light imo in this situation.

Yeah I'll definitely be adding light in the future whenever flower is about to roll around.

Yeah man you can build a scrog cheap... just go to lowes or something lol... stores near me sell 10' 1/2in pipes for a couple bucks a piece plus the connectors were only 78 cents a pop or so and I already had twine laying around so I used it but you can easily buy some kite string for a couple bucks to use. I personally went with 1/2 pvc because the price.. I didn't see the need for a 1" or 2" pipe when I'm in a small 4x2 lol. But all in all if you have to buy the screws and string it may cost you 15 bucks if prices are similar in your area that is.

Yeah man you can build a scrog cheap... just go to lowes or something lol... stores near me sell 10' 1/2in pipes for a couple bucks a piece plus the connectors were only 78 cents a pop or so and I already had twine laying around so I used it but you can easily buy some kite string for a couple bucks to use. I personally went with 1/2 pvc because the price.. I didn't see the need for a 1" or 2" pipe when I'm in a small 4x2 lol. But all in all if you have to buy the screws and string it may cost you 15 bucks if prices are similar in your area that is.

Hell yeah. I'll look into that whenever my next check hits my account lol and i definitely won't need 1" pipe in my closet. I also plant to have a tent for flower but I may pass the tent up for another LED and just stick it out in the closet until the end. I guess I got some thinking and decisions to make! Lol

Yeah I'll definitely be adding light in the future whenever flower is about to roll around.

Also if yo do go with the CFL I'd recommend trying to find a warmer color than 5k look for 3500k I believe is what they also come in. Hell sometimes I can find the large 43W cfl bulbs on clearance or sale in grocery stores for a decent price along with the packs of smaller lights. But for flower definitely look for a warmer spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom