DobeWan's Perpetual Adventure

DobeWan

:welcome:

Welcome to my perpetual grow journal!

Let's start with some background to set the stage. For those that don't know me, I'm a Canadian growing legal medical marijuana. My wife and I both suffer from medical issues treatable by MMJ here in Canada, and I started legally growing this summer.

I've just finished my first grow! I went into my first grow head first, and after spending lots of quality time learning from and laughing with the fine folks around here, I thought it only made sense to continue the fun in a new journal now that I've gone perpetual.

My journal will focus on the strains that work best for my wife and I - typically heavy indica, hybrids with a strong indica side, and various CBD strains. But I enjoy cannabis recreationally too, and will grow to suit that as well. So expect a variety!

I run a 2 tent setup with perpetual flower and veg cycles respectively. Here's my basic tent setup at the outset.

Flower:

4x4 Mammoth grow tent
Viparspectra 900 LED (418 true watts)
4x Sunblaster T5HO 3ft (156 watts)

Veg:

3x3 Secret Jardin grow tent
Viparspectra 600 LED (276 true watts)

Both tents are outfitted with fans and sensors to try to keep control of the environment.

I've been growing in coco with perlite, with everything ending up in smart pots.

I've been feeding a GH Micro / Bloom formula based on the Lucas formula. My base is Potassium Silicate, CalMag, Micro, and Bloom. I'll be adding KoolBloom at points in flower. That should be it.

I'll aim for 1 large weekly update with lots of photos, and occasional smaller updates during the week. I'll aim to show detail on any techniques I try. My approach so far has generally been to try whatever I can to gain experience and insight into how this all works. I expect this journal will continue that approach.

Thanks for checking out my journal! I look forward to seeing where this takes me!

:thanks:

Here's where things stand at the outset of the journal.

Flower Tent

flower-20170825-all-001-1000x750.jpg

(clockwise, starting front left: LA Confidential, Kushy Kush, 24K Gold, Chocolope)

Chocolope

Breeder: DNA Genetics

Chocolope, which was originally named D-Line, is a novice grower's dream plant! With a uniquely heavy yield and large heavy nugs, she is extremely easy to grow. This sativa heavy plant likes to grow tall so beware if space is an issue, however she can grow out with a little training. We chose to cross our Original Chocolate Thai female with the Cannalope male, and then started backcrossing this to achieve a shorter flower time and still retain some of the Original Chocolate Thai qualities. What makes this strain so special is that when you enjoy her you taste that chocolate you've been missing from the 80's! The Chocolope is the "ONE"! Not much haze, but you don't need it. With a 100% record in competitions she's entered, we know it's not just us that love her! 1st Hydro Highlife Cup 2008 2nd Sativa HT Cannabis Cup 2010 2nd Coffeeshop HT Cannabis Cup 2007 2nd Hydro Highlife Cup 2007 2nd Outdoor Spannabis 2011 3rd Hydro Highlife Cup 2009 3rd Coffeeshop HT Cannabis Cup 2008 3rd Indoor 4th edition Buenos Aires - Argentina 2011 3rd Indoor Bio Spannabis 2008 3rd Hollyweed Cup 2006 Strain of the Year 2007 Hightimes

OG Chocolate Thai x Cannalope Haze
95% Sativa : 5% Indica
Flowering Time: 8 - 9+ Weeks
Yield: 500-600g/m2​

Origin: Seed, planted 6/18/2017
Veg: 64 days, flipped 8/22/2017
Flower: 4 days

Chocolope was grown from seed. She was planted in a solo cup 6/18/2017 and placed under dual T5s. She had a slow start, but at 23V I finally potted her up to a 1 gallon pot and added 2 more T5s, and she took off. On 27V I topped her down from 6 to 3 nodes, and started the manifold. On 28V I got the perpetual system set up and she was moved into a proper tent. On 32V she was moved under the Viparspectra 600 for the rest of veg. She responded well to it. On 37V I did the second manifold step, topping both colas down to the first and third nodes, creating 8 main colas. I spent the next 4 weeks training her and letting her mature, and then flipped her immediately once a spot opened up in the flower tent on 8/22. She's now at 3F and looking great.

flower-20170825-CH1-4F-001-1000x750.jpg

flower-20170825-CH1-4F-002-1000x750.jpg

Chocolope will be, for me, more of a recreational strain. I also have high blood pressure and both my BP and IBS are impacted by stress. So a relaxed sativa like Chocolope has a place for helping keep me cool. But I'll mostly use it for times when my stomach is doing well.

LA Confidential

This is a great medical strain as it relieves pain and helps eliminate insomnia. For the everyday user, the high of this herb is psychedelic and energetic, with a hammer. This girl is a heavy eater. There are two real phenotypes of the Confidential and they will both finish in 45-56 days. One is a bit more hardy, but both equal in knock down drag out stone. Pre-veg'ing is advised to maximize the yield. Thinning the large fan leaves in the later part of the flower cycle will promote more light getting to the lower buds, thus increasing your yield. With an incredible smell and unique LA flavor, DNA' s LA Confidential has won many awards. 1st Battle of the Bridge 2009 (independent grower) 1st Indica HT Cannabis Cup 2008* 1st Kush Cup Las Vegas 2007 (independent grower) 1st Indica IC420 Breederscup 2005 2nd Bio Highlife Cup 2009 2nd Indica HT Cannabis Cup 2005 3rd Indica HT Cannabis Cup 2004 3rd Kush Cup Las Vegas 2006 Strain of the Year 2006 Hightimes

OG LA Affie x Afghani
100% Indica
Flowering Time: 7 - 8 weeks
Yield: 350-450g/m2​

Origin: Clone, cut 6/18/2017
Veg: 54 days, flipped 8/12/2017
Flower: 14 days

LA Confidential was cloned from LA Confidential #2 from my first grow. I still have seeds and intend to grow this strain from seed in the future. She was cut and put into a rockwool cube on 6/18/2017 and placed under dual T5s. She also had a slow start, and finally went into a solo cup at 17V. At 23V I potted her up to a 1 gallon pot and added the additional T5s, and like Chocolope, she took off. On 28V I got the perpetual system set up and she was moved into a proper tent. On 32V she was moved under the Viparspectra 600 for the rest of veg, and I potted her up to her 3 gallon smart pot. She responded very well and bushed up significantly once I started defoliating. I defoliated from the top down starting around 37V, trying to get light on the lower nodes and slow the main cola. I took a few leaves every day. She eventually grew into a large bushy plant with a lot of tops reaching for the canopy. I flipped her on 8/12 as a 21" monster, with mature veg growth (staggered nodes) on all tops. She's been stretching all the same in flower, and currently stands 31". Her mother stretched for 3 weeks, so I expect her to continue to stretch. She's a far bushier plant than her mother all the same, and far larger, so I expect better production in this round. But I expect her yield to be eclipsed by both Chocolope and Kushy Kush.

flower-20170825-LA2-14F-001-1000x750.jpg

flower-20170825-LA2-14F-002-1000x750.jpg

flower-20170825-LA2-14F-003-750x1000.jpg

LA Confidential is intended to be a prime medical strain for me. An indica with a strong physical effect and the ability to help me to sleep is my key need. I'll be exploring its use as an edible and topically in time as well.

Kushy Kush

Breeder: Canuk Seeds

Canuk Seeds'-Kushy Kush-is an indica strain and takes 6 weeks to flower.

Typical of the completely indica dominant genetics of the plant Kushy Kush grows into a small bushy plant that produces a THC level of 22%=24%.

It can be harvested outdoors at the end of September.

Kushy Kush is known to give a clear and energetic high with strong pain relief capability thanks to heavy dominance of indica in the genetics of this strain. Definitely not one to miss for the Kush connoisseur.

Mostly Indica
Flowering Time: 6 weeks
Yield: 650-750g/m2​

Origin: Seed, planted 6/18/2017
Veg: 54 days, flipped 8/12/2017
Flower: 14 days

Kushy Kush was grown from seed. She was a freebie from my Chocolope order. She was planted in a solo cup 6/18/2017 and placed under dual T5s. Like the others, she had a slow start in the propagation tent, but at 23V I finally potted her up to a 1 gallon pot and added 2 more T5s, and she too took off. Her story is like LA2's from here on out. On 28V I got the perpetual system set up and she was moved into a proper tent. On 31V I potted her up to her 3 gallon smart pot and thought I'd botched the job. On 32V she was moved under the Viparspectra 600 for the rest of veg. She responded very well and like LA2, she bushed up significantly once I started defoliating. I defoliated from the top down starting around 37V, trying to get light on the lower nodes and slow the main cola. I took a few leaves every day. She eventually grew into a fairly symmetrical bowl shaped bush with 8 symmetrical tops formed around and at the same canopy height as the main cola. I flipped her on 8/12 as an 18" menorah shaped bush, and she too was generally showing mature veg growth (staggered nodes) on all tops. Her stretch hasn't been as pronounced, and she's currently 25". She looks set to produce very well, with better node structure and noticeably stronger looking top colas than the LA Confidential.

flower-20170825-KK1-14F-001-1000x750.jpg
flower-20170825-KK1-14F-002-1000x750.jpg
flower-20170825-KK1-14F-003-1000x750.jpg

flower-20170825-KK1-14F-004-750x1000.jpg

I'm not sure where Kushy Kush will fit medically. I get a lot of use from a roughly 70/30 indica - Sour Kush by DNA - as an early evening or afternoon med. I'm hoping Kushy Kush can have a strong physical high without making me too sleepy.

24K Gold

24k Gold is the obvious mix of our multiple award winning Indica Kosher Kush and the 2013 12X Sativa champion Tangie! With the scent of tangerines and the Dankness of Kosher Kush, the Kosher Tangie is like no other strain DNA has created. Kush flavoured nugs with citrus undertones or Tangie flavour with Kosher nugs you make the choice in this F1 hybrid, expect 3 phenotypes all being winners! She will grow tall in Veg. And will stretch until the 4th week of flowering. Flowering time will be 9-10 weeks with above average yields. Expect to see some very resinous flowers with that Cup winning taste and smell!

Kosher Kush x Tangie
60% Indica / 40% Sativa
Flowering time: 9-10 weeks
Yield: 450-550 g/m2

Origin: 3 clones, cut 7/10/2017
Veg: 46 days, flipped 8/24/2017
Flower: 2 days

24K Gold was cloned from 24K #2 from my first grow. I still have seeds and have kept a mother for now as well. She was cloned after 3 weeks of flower, and needed significant time to reveg. She was a bit of an afterthought for a long time. She spent her first 2 weeks in a rockwool cube, then was potted up to a solo cup. Flower growth started to clearly show after the move to the solo cup. Convinced they were moving along I hastily moved them up to 1 gallon pots a week later, after 3 weeks. I kept them too far from the lamp and they started stretching and spitting out funky flower growth immediately. Eventually they started to transition to solely veg growth. I cleaned them up about a week ago. I made the decision yesterday to use the small remaining space in my flower tent to flower 3 of the 4 clones. Without a better plan for them and with training options limited, I figured, why not? All 3 plants are small without much top growth, but at a minimum I'll get the experience of seeing what kind of yield I can get from a quick flip after reveg.

flower-20170825-24K2-2F-001-1000x750.jpg

I have not yet tried my previous harvest of 24K Gold, but my intention all along was to get a hybrid that would help with my stomach issues, while not knocking me out, making it suitable for afternoons and evenings.

I'll update the veg tent next, target is tomorrow evening. This weekend will be characterized by planting seeds to prepare for the next round of flower. I probably have somewhere around 50-57 days on Kushy Kush and LA2, and 70-77 on Chocolope, so I have some time, but the clock is ticking if I want to keep the perpetual going perfectly.

Here's a sneak preview. I'll post a detailed update once the seeds are in.

On the left I have 2 Kushy Kush clones. I think I knocked one loose and killed it - it's wilted over and doesn't seem to be responding to foliar feeding or light. The other appears to be staying alive though. As long as I have 1 alive, I'm happy. If neither pulls through, I'll take additional clones in a week and reveg them.

veg-20170825-all-001-1000x750.jpg

The center plant is a 24K2 clone. I took it at 3 weeks and reveged it, just like the flower 24Ks.

veg-20170825-24K2-001-1000x750.jpg

I have 4 seeds germinating now:

Royal Queen Seeds Critical
Royal Queen Seeds Royal Gorilla
Barney's Farm Violator Kush
Medical Marijuana Genetics Candida CD-1

I'll provide a complete write up with photos once they go into the veg tent.

Oohh boy this seems like it's going to be exciting :party: looks like I am second to this one brother. You seem to have some very decent strains going in here. Mind for a puff Sun, Dobe? :passitleft:

I wouldn't have it any other way, Pat! :passitleft:

Thanks for following along!

Back
Top Bottom