Mack's Soil - A/F Tutankhamon - Second Grow - 2017

I love reading other people's grow journals (and seeing pics!), so I figured I'd start my own. I've been keeping a journal in MS OneNote (best tool MS ever made!), but I don't want to store MJ photos on MS servers, so here I am! :)

Let's get started...

Strain: auto/fem Tutankhamon (mostly sativa) from Pyramid
Germinated: in water 28 Aug 2017
Sprouted: 2 Sept 2017
Medium: FoxFarms Ocean Forest in 3-gallon felt pot inside a 5-gallon bucket (indoor grow)
Water: Dehumidifier collection water, consistently measures pH 6. Sometimes purified or RO water.
Lights v1: 4x100w (4x23w actual power draw) "daylight" CFLs on 18/6 schedule ~4-6 inches from tops
Lights v2: Apollo Horticulture GL60LED full spectrum 180w (109w actual power draw (APD)) grow light (for later)
Fans: 2x8cm "pc" fans for intake, 4x8cm fans for exhaust

This is my second ever MJ grow! (I'm not counting the failed attempts when I lived in Hawaii during the 70s.) Plant #1 from bag seed is nearing harvest. This plant I call Janie.

8/28/2017
Soaked Tutankhamon seed in water for ~12 hours. When the seed sank to the bottom and stayed there, planted 1/2 inch deep in solo cup with FoxFarms Ocean Forest (FFOF) soil with drainage slits cut in the bottom. Note to self: might be better to use the seed starter tablets than plant directly in such a nutrient rich soil right away.

Bucket has 2 CFL bulbs on and four exhaust fans with two intake fans at plant level.

9/2/2017 7:00 PM
Sprouted! No cotyledons yet, but I see her about to unfurl above the surface!

9/3/2017 6:27 AM
1 day old. Cotyledons have unfolded. Only two of four CFLs are lit right now.
Avg daily temp: 74°
Avg daily RH: 53%

9/4/2017 7:32 AM
2 days old. First single-fan leaves are up. Turned on a 3rd CFL bulb. Added a cup of water to the bucket to raise humidity. Elevated cup within the bucket to get plant closer to bulbs. They were 12" or so away, which I feared would cause undo stretching.

9/5/2017 7:01 AM
3 days old. Doing well under 3 CFLs. Low humidity in the bucket (45.3% as of this moment). Will put seedling under a humidity dome (plastic bottle) for the day.

9/6/2017 6:26 AM
4 days old. Turned on fourth CFL yesterday. Humidity is averaging in the acceptable range, but I'd like it a tad higher. Thing is, I can't dry out the bedroom air as much as plant #1 needs while still getting Janie the moisture she needs.
Avg daily temp: 76°
Avg daily RH: 51%

9/7/2017 8:00 AM
5 days old. Humidity is still a bit lower than I'd like, but it's hard to balance the RH in the room such that the tent stays low and the bucket stays higher.
Gave ~5-6 oz Plain purified water. Watered until a few drops dribbled out bottom.

9/9/2017 7:30 AM
1 week old. Hurricane coming... might not make it to 2 weeks old. :(
Avg daily temp: 74°
Avg daily RH: 52%

9/10/2017 7:52 AM
8 days old. Looks OK, but the two larger fan leaves are a little wrinkly and dry looking. I'm concerned about the low humidity at times, which has crept down to 45% in the last 24H. Set a new mini-humidifier in the bucket yesterday. Hasn't raised the daily RH much if at all. Was climbing toward 60% until I turned on the room dehumidifier. Even with mini humidifier in the bucket, RH plummeted from 59.4% to 45.1% in very short order. Low temps might be too low, too, dropping to 68.8° before bedtime last night. Turned off AC humidifier and used just AC, which brought temps to around 72°.
Avg daily temp: 73°
Compared to plant #1 at the same age, Janie is underdeveloped. I turned off two of the four exhaust fans but might need to turn off the other two exhaust fans too and let the lights warm the bucket up.

9/11/2017 7:10 AM
9 days old. Janie's growth is picking up speed. With mini humidifier plugged in, the conditions in the bucket are much more favorable. I think she's responding to the better environment. Current stats are 78.3°F and 66.4% RH.
Gave ~5-6 oz Plain purified water.

9/12/2017 6:36 AM
10 days old. She's struggling. I can't seem to get the bucket environment just right. The mini humidifier is unreliable, and the only bottle I have to fit it only holds 6-8 oz water. Once I get the temps and RH dialed in, I think she'll be happier. Yesterday, I discovered ALL the water had drained out of the mini-hum and was sitting in the cake pan along with the solo cup, so Janie got WAY overwatered. She'll need to dry out for a few days, that's for sure. Even with the mini-hum misting inside the bucket, the RH level sometimes measures way low. Might experiment with putting the space bucket in the 3rd bedroom to see if that levels it out.
Avg daily temp: 77°
Avg daily RH: 55%
Moved Janie into 3rd bedroom. RH is still lower than I'd like, even with two humidifiers running!

9/13/2017 6:50 AM
11 days old. She's starting to recover and not look so ragged. Overnight the temp and RH stayed in the desired range. Ended up with one humidifier outside the bucket near an intake fan, the small one inside the bucket, and only intake fans running. Exhaust fans are off. This raises the lights more than I'd like, because of the height of the smaller humidifier, but Janie's nodes are nice and tight, no undue stretching.
Avg daily temp: 79°

9/14/2017 10:17 AM
12 days old. She's looking fine now, though her leaves are pretty fat. I expected slim sativa leaves. Hmm!
Avg daily temp: 78°
Avg daily RH: 60%

9/15/2017 9:36 AM
13 days old. Much healthier looking. Leaves still quite thick, but she's still a seedling. Not quite ready for water, due to the leakage that was absorbed into her cup through the bottom. Prepared a 3-gallon felt grow bag with dirt + pH 6 water until just a little runoff happened. She'll be ready for transplantation this afternoon.
Avg daily RH: 64%
Transplanted around 7:30 PM into 3-gallon felt pot. It fits perfectly in the 5-gallon bucket. And it has handles. We like handles.

9/16/2017 7:28 AM
2 weeks old! She's looking good. She has three developed nodes, with the fourth on its way, so I'm going to top her tomorrow. <cross fingers>
Avg daily RH: 58%

9/17/2017 3:08 PM
15 days old. I micro-topped her this afternoon.
Avg daily RH: 65%
15_days3.jpg
15_days_1.jpg

9/18/2017 9:24 AM
16 days old. She's holding up so far after the topping. Might be a little too humid in the bucket to turn OFF the fans at night, so will readjust the timer so fan doesn't go off.
Avg daily RH: 67%

9/22/2017 11:47 AM
20 days old. She's looking great, and her two tops are growing in. I keep thinking she's going to need water soon, but she's still OK. Did I water her between 9/18 and 9/21? I don't remember, but I think not.
Avg daily RH: 62%
Will water this afternoon or evening. Checking every few hours for signs of wilting. I want her to stretch out her roots.
Gave 32oz purified water at 2:40 PM. Poured around her to encourage root spreading (rather than at the stem). Adjusted LST hooks to put the tops in the center of the bucket.

9/24/2017 1:05 PM
22 days old. Noticed brown tips on one of her leaves. Not sure whether it's potassium deficiency or calcium.

9/25/2017 9:35 AM
23 days old. Her tops are almost an inch tall now, so I started LST on them. Ordered gardening staples to help with that. Will compare to wire/twist ties to see which is better.
Avg daily RH: 60%

9/26/2017 2:45 PM
24 days old. Brown spots on leaves are spreading/getting worse.

9/27/2017
Watered 32 oz purified pH6 water with CaliMagic additive (1 tsp/gal).

9/28/2017 11:50 PM
26 days old. Her brown spots are getting worse rather than better, and leaves are lightening. I'm starting to think this could be too much potassium in the soil. Next watering, I will flush with at least a gallon of purified water to rinse out some of the nutrients. I bought a bottle of root stimulator that adds N&P but no K. That might help too.

9/30/2017 7:40 AM
4 weeks old. She's much smaller than plant #1 was at this age, stunted perhaps by deficiencies?? Still don't know what it could be. I flushed her with 30 pints of water from the dehumidifier. Runoff water was pH 6. Then I fed her 1/2 gal of water with bloom nutes to supplement the Phosphorus and Potassium (P & K). We'll see...
Stopped using humidifier bec she should be in her "flowering" stage now. I'm seeing bud development on her tops.

10/1/2017 7:15 PM
29 days old. I found pictures on <site redacted> that identifies Janie's issues as potassium deficiency. I suspect the bloom nutes she got yesterday will rectify that, esp if I continue to feed every third watering. I'll keep an eye on it, though, to make sure it's not something else.

10/2/2017 8:00 AM
30 days old. No sign of the problem worsening, so my fingers are crossed. She'll be ready to move into the tent soon, but I think I'll return her to the bedroom to take advantage of lower humidity.
Avg daily RH: 54%

10/3/2017 12:57 PM
31 days old. Problem seems to be solved -- none of the new growth is showing signs of K deficiency! Yay!

10/4/2017 8:59 AM
32 days old. Still no new signs of K def! But one leaf has some white spots... UGH. The white spots could be early signs of spider mite infestation. Luckily, I already purchased treatment product!
Just remembered that when I watered with the 0-10-10 bloom, I accidentally got some on her leaves. The spots might be caused by that?? Posted a question here.

Hi Mack, gonna hang around here and see how things develop, looks like you're doing well so far

I love the space bucket concept, before I built my grow box I set up a jumbo version in a 90l dustbin it just goes to show you can grow cannabis pretty much anywhere with a bit of hard work!

Peace
Glad to see ya, Caconym! .

She turned 5 weeks old today. She's getting a little cramped in the space bucket. I need to move her into the grow tent, but plant #1 is in there, flowering on a 12/12 cycle. She has maybe 2 (?) weeks left before harvest, so it'll be at least 2 weeks more before Janie can move in. I do have more bucket tops and an LED with a little more wattage, so I think I'll move her in tomorrow.

35_days1.JPG

3_week_old_bud.JPG

39 days old. Finished her new bucket last night and moved her in. The intake fans are now above dirt level. :) That should help. I also swapped out the CFLs for the 180w UFO LED. She seems to have tolerated it well enough. No evidence of light burn/heat stress yet, but it's only been 9 hours. :p Moved her back into the room with plant #1 to lower the RH.

39_days_1.JPG
39_days_2.JPG

She is kind of cramped in the bucket, though. If plant #1 is ready to harvest in ~10 days <cross fingers>, then she'll go into the tent and be able to spread out. Kind of like dudes do with their legs on public transit. LOL

Janie turned 6 weeks old yesterday. She's looking healthy but her leaves are deformed where they hit the walls of the space bucket. Plant #1 is close to harvest, so maybe a week more and she can move into the tent. The space bucket is hotter than I'd like it to be. She probably needs another bucket section to raise the lights. She's been growing a lot lately, as if she's in a flowering stretch.
Avg daily RH: 41%

42_days1.JPG
42_days_2.JPG

10/16/2017 6:58 AM
44 days old. Returned to the CFLs until Janie goes into the tent. She was getting too hot in the bucket, and there was really no air flowing through her upper branches.
Avg daily RH: 39%
Harvested plant #1 today :)cheertwo:), so Janie got moved into the tent. I did nothing but move her and switch the timers so she'll have her daylight as she's been having it. I'll start a new seed tonight. Janie needs a bit more LST to get her height under control.

10/17/2017 6:51 AM
45 days old. Spent the night in the tent. Pot was light this morning but no wilting. Took off all her tie-downs and redistributed, pulling the tops to an equal height with new ties.
Avg daily RH: 44%
Water ~48 oz Plain purified water @ pH 6 with 0-10-10 bloom nutes at recommended strength
Concerned Janie is too tall for the tent. I hope I don't have to put her under CFLs.

10/18/2017 7:14 AM
46 days old. Adjusted LST. Currently about 19" from light, which concerns me, seeing as how she has another 31+ days to go. She may grow another couple inches in height just from the enlargement of the buds, but I'll keep adjusting her to keep her at least 18" away.
Her coloring looks fine under normal light, though I did see some more evidence of K def. This strain might need a little more K than plant #1 did. (??) I'll try feeding bloom nutes every other watering instead of every 3. Or maybe every other cycle… IOW, water…water…bloom…water...bloom…water…water…bloom…water…bloom…

10/19/2017 6:27 AM
47 days old. RH is dropping with the external temps, looks like. I might not need to run the dehumidifier during the next grow at all. This morning, I noticed some of her leaf tips were turning brown. I can't help but wonder whether the LED lamp is too close. Because of her extended stay in the space bucket, she got taller than I'd wanted. Adjusted LST some more to bring most buds down another inch. The lamp manufacturer says that for bloom, it can be 12-18 inches away. <cringe> Okaaaaay... I'm afraid to let her get that close though!
Avg daily RH: 40%

10/20/2017 6:15 AM
48 days old. She might need water today, but not yet. I'll check when lights come back on at 11pm.

10/21/2017 7:07 AM
49 days (7 weeks) old. I didn't check her water last night (forgot), but she looked fine this morning. Dirt was dry to first knuckle. She certainly likes being in the tent--she's looking lush and pretty!

Her buds, on the other hand, are tiny! I originally started counting her flowering period at 14 days of age, which would make her 5 weeks into flowering today. But comparing her flowers to the pictures of Plant #1's flowers, she looks more like 3 weeks into flowering. So if flowering officially started at 21 days, then she'd be 4 weeks into flowering. Still "behind" Plant #1 in development, but we'll see. That would leave 3-4 weeks until harvest (per grower's description), but I'm not feeling it. Plant #1 went 9 weeks in flower, so I'm gonna estimate Janie will need 10 weeks in flower at this point, not the 7-8 weeks the breeder estimates.

Avg daily temp: 73° (range of 71.2 to 74.7)
Avg daily RH: 43% (range of 39.4 to 50.4)
Water: ~60 oz Plain purified water @ pH 6

49_days1.JPG
49_days_3.JPG

10/22/2017 7:08 AM
50 days. Noticed some discoloration on some of the top leaves today. I thought maybe light burn?? But the LED lamp is 19" from the top of the plant, and mfr says it can be as close as 12, so that's probably not it. Some nutrients not making it to the top? Could be phosphorus def. Will have to see. 50_days images in the grow diary directory show the problem. Otherwise, she looks fine. Cleared away some dead/dying undergrowth. Installed a light meter app on my phone, which claims the top of the plant receives ~16,000 lux. Whatever that means. :p
Avg daily temp: 72.4° (72.0 to 73.2)
Avg daily RH: 45.2% (44.3 to 48.6)

10/23/2017 8:04 AM
51 days. Discoloration might be spreading?? Her dirt is still moist, so she won't need water today, but on next feeding, she'll get bloom nutes for sure.
Avg daily temp: 73.7° (73.3 to 74.0)
Avg daily RH: 45.1% (43.8 to 45.9)
Received the new pH meter. Because the first pH meter was crap and never gave me a good reading, I was using litmus paper. New one works great. But... the water I've been feeding measured about 5.85 with the new meter, which rounds up to the 6 that was showing on the litmus paper, but that's too low. Need to boost that pH maybe by adding 7.x tap water run through the Zero Water filter (to remove floaties). The RO water is measuring 5.96, which is better but not quite the 6.2-6.5 I'd like to see. This could be why P isn't being absorbed from the soil. I'd wondered whether she'd already devoured all the nutes in the soil, but she's in a 3-gallon bag. Plant #1 didn't leach that much from her 2-gallon bag. I'm going to assume the discoloration is caused by water pH and fix that first, and will continue to give bloom nutes on the previous schedule (every 3rd watering).

50_days_4.JPG

10/24/2017 6:40 AM
52 days. Not ready for water yet, but maybe later in the day. I'll check around noon. That'll give me time to test and adjust the water's pH.
Avg daily temp: 73.6° (72.3 to 75.9)
Avg daily RH: 45.1% (40.6 to 53.6)

10/25/2017 6:32 AM
53 days old. Once I collect enough water to feed her properly (and make a new jug of bloom nutes), will test her runoff and then see if I can increase the pH of the soil.
Avg daily temp: 71.9° (71.1 to 73.1)
Avg daily RH: 38.7% (36.6 to 40.3)

10/26/2017 6:55 AM
54 days old. Her buds look like they're finally starting to fill out. She had tiny-assed buds, compared with Plant #1, but now they're looking wider, fuller, and "hairier."
Avg daily temp: 72.4° (70.2 to 73.2)
Avg daily RH: 32.9% (31.1 to 35.3)

10/27/2017 7:08 AM
55 days old. Some buds are getting amber pistils, so I know she's closing in on her time, but most are still straight, not curling in yet. Since the dehumidifier is OFF now and I don't have that water to use, I mixed up a batch of bloom nutes starting with tap water with a few drops of lemon juice to lower the pH to 6.3. Runoff water was in the pH 4.8 range. Yikes! Need to feed 7.x water until the soil pH comes up.
Water ~48 oz PHed tap water to 6.3, with 4 tsp bloom nutes per gallon
Avg daily temp: 74.9° (70.7 to 78.3)
Avg daily RH: 33.2% (29.0 to 37.7)

10/28/2017 7:19 AM
56 days (8 weeks) old, 5 weeks in flower. She looks good.

10/29/2017 7:40 AM
57 days old. Holding steady! She's nice and lush.
Avg daily temp: 74.1° (79.5 to 68.6)
Avg daily RH: 44.1% (33.1 to 54.4)

10/30/2017 7:30 AM
58 days old. More pistils turning amber but most are still straight. Not time to start scoping her yet. Though she's 8 weeks old, she's only ~5 weeks in flower ( 6 weeks if you start counting from her 2-week birthday ). Can't help but wonder how much bigger her buds might have been had I gotten a decent pH meter from the start. Signs of nutrient deficiency are minimal, but with such low pH in the soil, it's probably just slow to show up (now that the new water coming in is correct pH).
Avg daily temp: 72.6° (76.4 to 69.9)
Avg daily RH: 30.2% (29.6 to 39.1)

58_days.JPG
58_days_1.JPG

10/31/2017 7:03 AM
59 days old. Her pot is light, but there's a wee bit of moisture an inch down, so I'll wait until noon to water her. She may not require 10 weeks in flower as I'd previously thought. Judging by the number of amber pistils, she might finish in the 7-8 weeks the breeder claims. Watered at 12:30pm. Runoff measured ~5.4, so it's getting better. Next watering should show much improved soil pH.
Water ~48 oz Zero water @ pH 6.86 | runoff measured ~5.4
Avg daily temp: 74.0° (70.4 to 77.5)
Avg daily RH: 30.4% (26.4 to 33.6)

11/1/2017 6:56 AM
60 days old. Nothing to add -- she's coming along.

11/2/2017 7:04 AM
61 days old. Comparing Janie with Plant #1 at this age, I see lots more amber pistils but not nearly as much frosting on the leaves. :( Pistils, even amber ones, are still mostly straight.

11/3/2017 6:55 AM
62 days old. She may be finishing up! I'm not thrilled with the yield on this plant, but I did kind of screw up the pH for most of her life. Tomorrow, she turns 9 weeks old and either 6 weeks into flower or 7, depending on when you start counting. Last night, I left the window open and put fans on the sill to pull in the cool (~52°) air, but shortly before 5am, the tent was over 80°! Put the AC vent back into the window and turned it on max, so it cooled down quickly, but yikes! I was almost afraid to look at her this morning, but she's doing OK.
Avg daily temp: 74.3° (70.2 to 80.1)
Avg daily RH: 43.5% (37.4 to 54.1)

11/4/2017 6:26 AM
63 days (9 weeks) old.
Avg daily temp: 72.5° (71.2 to 75.0)
Avg daily RH: 40.9% (38.2 to 51.3)
Gave almost 1 gal water @ pH 6.86
Runoff was about 5.7, so better but not perfect yet.

11/5/2017 7:36 AM
64 days old. I was surprised by the number of cloudy trichomes in the scope pics from yesterday and this morning. Most of them look cloudy, esp compared to the icicle-like ones on <friend's plant>. I had it in my mind that she's still 1-2 weeks out, but maybe not. Does she look ready? I'm still too new at this to be confident.
Avg daily temp: 72.4° (70.3 to 74.6)
Avg daily RH: 42.6% (38.7 to 53.9)

64_days.JPG
64_days_1.JPG
64_days_5.JPG
SingleShot0009.jpg
SingleShot0008.jpg
SingleShot00071.jpg
SingleShot00042.jpg
SingleShot00022.jpg
SingleShot00006.jpg

Harvest is scheduled for Friday! If I don't see enough amber trichomes by then, I'll check on Sat & Sun. Here she is today. I still see a few clear ones and very few ambers.

SingleShot00043.jpg
SingleShot0012.jpg

68 days old. Her dirt was bone dry, so I gave her 20oz of 6.68 filtered tap water. Leaves are yellowing more quickly now. She may not be at the peak of readiness tomorrow, but for sure by Sunday. I'll decide tomorrow whether to chop. It'd fit into MY schedule better to do it Friday vs Sunday. ;)

Here are her buds 1 week apart. Left is @ 54 days old. Middle is @ 61 days old. Right is @ 68 days old. I love seeing the plants' development.
1weekapart.jpg

And a couple trichome pics from this morning:
SingleShot00101.jpg
SingleShot00063.jpg

Harvest Day!

Made the decision to chop on Friday (10 Nov). I could've waited for another few days, but harvesting takes hours that I don't want to spend during the week.

2.5 hours before harvest, I filled a gallon jug with tap water (~pH 7) and added a couple drops of orange extract. Not sure that'll have any effect, but I wanted to try it.

I washed & drip dried the weed, then trimmed it. I set aside some buds for bubble hash, some to smoke/vape, and some to make FHO & brownies. :)

Wet weight
Buds: 142g
Trim: 37g

The haul was slightly more than plant #1's and lots more than I'd expected, given the pH issues I had.

All the trim (37g) will go toward bubble hash (along with whatever leaves I've collected previously)
47g is being dried in a dehydrator for 48 hours at 90°
45g will be used to make FHO and brownies
49g is freezing in a tupperware container for bubble hash

First FHO attempt

45g freshly harvested buds (refrigerated overnight from previous day's harvest)
1 cup "light tasting" olive oil
1/3 cup water
Using an immersion blender, chopped it up for about 10 minutes until it was just a mass of green goop.
Set the instant pot for 1 hour 50 minutes.

When the timer was up, I released the pressure and found... the weed was still green and the oil was only slightly discolored. It hadn't decarbed at all. So I put it into a saucepan and cooked it over low/med heat. Even on low, the temp of the oil was close to 300°F before it started to bubble and darken. When it started to smell like burnt popcorn, I strained out the plant matter and was left with almost a cup of dark green oil. I took a pic of it, but it looks reddish in the photo.

I tossed the bundle of plant matter into hot water and bobbed it around a little. Some oil floated around on the surface, but it was so little, I couldn't really scoop it off, so I poured the water/oil over ice and drank it. :)

Made brownies using 1/3 cup of the oil. I ate one (small) one when they were done, then put them in the freezer to cool a little for easy cutting. After dinner (pizza), I waited 30 min and ate another. I also licked the cooking implements. All this in addition to the "tea" I drank... and didn't feel anything special. Of course, I was already stoned from some indica weed I'd vaped, so maybe it did work and I was too stoned to notice? Then again, I don't get high from the batch of indica brownies in the fridge/freezer either, but mama does, and the brownies are for her anyway. The good news: the oil & brownies taste great.

Smoking Batch

The buds in the dehydrator were dry to the touch after about 15 hours in the machine. I put them in a mason jar & closed the lid. After a few hours, the RH was 70%, so I put in a bundle of dried rice. That brought it down to about 50%, so I removed the rice and put the lid back on. When it crept back up to 70, I opened the jar and let the ambient room RH bring it down. Will continue bouncing the RH like that throughout the day/evening until it settles at 65% with the lid on.

Next to try: bubble hash!

My 1-gallon bubble bags are quite small, so I'm not sure about this, but it's not like I have a ton of weed to try it with. I've got ~40g of fresh/frozen trim + 49g fresh/frozen buds from this harvest, which should be enough to try this out. Probably won't get much hash from it. I'll try with 4 of the 8 bags on this run, because there's so little weed. In the future, I might a) buy/use 5-gallon bags, b) wait until I have >1oz of herb to work with. :) For such small yields, it might be best to dry/cure and vape.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom