First grow - Sea of Green style

Coolthanksbye

Hey everyone. Been on here for a few months and posted a few times. On workers comp disability right now from a brain injury that nearly took my life this past March, a couple weeks after my 28th bday and 6 months after our wedding. So still home recovering and taking up some "rehab" projects. Craziest thing too before I begin posting photos - 420 was the only thing that worked better than any med they prescribed me for rehab(pain, anxiety, headache...), and my neurosurgeon said he has NEVER seen the 3 blood clots that were in my head clear up so fast. So this is my way to at least start to join the fight. Well, here we go.....

:bongrip:

So there is a closet leading into a crawlspace underneith my basement stairs. There's just a 2' x 4' hole in the back closet wall that leads underneath the stairs. The closet currently has one of those cheap old sliding-curtain doors.... I Put a plywood door w/ a deadbolt at the back of the closet where the crawlspace starts...
First_Grow_10_31_2006_0011.jpg

The flourescent fixture is on an angle that runs parallel to the stairs, and in line under them are shelves w/ growing trays to house 6 seedlings each. An opaque vinyl curtain separates that half of the crawl with the other half (for flowering).
First_Grow_10_31_2006_005.jpg

Each side of the curtain has one air purifier/ionizer, and there is one small fan for circulation.
First_Grow_10_31_2006_004.jpg

Doing 4 strains: Mandala White Satin, White Widow, Northern Lights, and some Diesel from my last bag.
First_Grow_10_31_2006_007.jpg

RangerDanger said:
Hard fast rule (especially from seeds)--one plant per container.
I was planning on doing one strain per container, 6 plants about 8 inches apart. Sorry for the ignorance (still learnin...), I was hoping the separate strains would flower at different times, but similar within each strain.:smokin:

I've seen some growers do something similar with multiple seedlings in a container, and then pulling up and disposing any males that begin to grow. Ultimately I figured to begin flowering the 2 fastest growing strains first, harvest, and continue to turn over in order to constantly provide some variety. Any input would be appreciated...
:smokin3:

the roots get tangled and it will stunt all of them go with rangers advice
Thanks guys appreciate the help. Definitely gonna go to individual square pots tomorrow. I think I might just trash the flourescent since I don't have that much space for it (and an effective Sea of Green) anyways. I figure both 400 watt HPS lamps would give enough yield to the next harvest for our own personal and a handful of friends. If I do go with the 400W HPS for veg & salt resp., how much yield could you see me gettin from 2 ft plants. Couldn't find any Fox Farms in my area, using New Plant Life ORganic Peat Moss, NPL composted manure, vermiculite, and perlite. I've got some Bloom 0-5-4 stuff that I will begin using after the first couple weeks.

Okay, trashed the flourescent and sticking with MH for veg and HPS for flowering. Also now using separate rectangular pots, and finished off the mylar in the room. Let me know if you guys think the 2 air purifiers/ionizers and the 1 stationary fan is enough to circulate the air. I did seal a bunch of cracks in the room w/caulk, but there still are a few. I don't want to make it completely air tight for ventilation, but the wife is fearful of the smell. I thought the 2 air purifiers (for 2 rooms each 10x13) would be strong enough to make up for the few cracks letting light out. Any input would certainly be appreciated.
:passitleft:

Here are the pics of the new setup. Not sure how far back on the floor I can add more plants (since there's still room for another 9-12).
First_Grow_11_02_2006_001.jpg

First_Grow_11_02_2006_002.jpg

This is where I was wondering if it would be beneficial at all to ad more plants to the floorspace or if it would be too far from the light:
First_Grow_11_02_2006_003.jpg

Here are the 2 air purifiers/ionizers for smell and to help with circulation. Planning on keeping them on the medium setting; each is for a 13x10 room:
First_Grow_11_02_2006_004.jpg

sneakinman13 said:
love ur set upp. where did you get your light?? could you post a link. i only have a 150 and i want a 600 hps.. thanks
I got the 400 watt light fixture, 1 MH lamp, 1 HPS lamp, 1 timer, & 200 sq ft of mylar all for $200, INCLUDING fast and discrete shipping. Found this jewel when shopping for the light on Ebay.

Growing Slow said:
Oh and where are you getting fresh air from?
Thought about this for a while, but this has been my best choice:
A Cheap Solution To Ventilation In A Closet
Hopefully I will have time to set up by Saturday so I can have some pics on here.

hey there cool, glad to see someone else is benefiting from the medicinal spects of teh scred herb, i have been on here from time to time myself, been studying for a couple of years now, tried to grow twice(overzealously) and failed. ama nursing student and want to havecannabis be a field i enter into eventually, but enough. . .

question though:
-if those ionizers are good for such a large space then why not put one on top and one on bottom? i am asking since i will be starting a closet in the near future they seem to be a damned good idea!!

-i notice no one ever really gives product name or info, i dont know why but whats the brand name? are they more industrial or for home use?(meaning to say, can i get them from wal/ k-mart, home depot or do i have to special order?)

please be well and show that damned doctor what the sacred plant can really do!! i recently started reading reports from the patients point of view. alot of pain, treatment and relief testimonials of different strains. hope this helps and loking forward to getting your point of view

Determine the amt of floor space by the effective range of your lights.
A good rule of thumb is 50 watts HPS or MH per sq/ft.
Therefore, a 400-watt light effectively covers 8 sq/ft, or slightly less than 3' x 3'.

Ventilation:
Marijuana, like all living things, need fresh air.
Marijuana, like all plants, "inhale" CO2 and "exhale" oxygen. When all the available CO2 is used up, growth ceases.
That means intake and exhaust fans.
Ideally, there should be a complete change of air every minute. Figure out the cubic feet of your grow space and get fans that will accomplish this. Fans are rated at cfm (cubic feet per minute).
I've found that for a small space bathroom exhaust fans work good, for a larger space such as you have I'd go with squirrel-cage fans.

Carbon filters and negative ion generators work well to eliminate odor. Some people put bowls of vinegar in their grow rooms to absorb odor.

FRIENDinDEED said:
question though:
-if those ionizers are good for such a large space then why not put one on top and one on bottom? i am asking since i will be starting a closet in the near future they seem to be a damned good idea!!

-i notice no one ever really gives product name or info, i dont know why but whats the brand name? are they more industrial or for home use?(meaning to say, can i get them from wal/ k-mart, home depot or do i have to special order?)

Thanks for the comments FRIENDinDEED, the past 6 months have not been the best, but I couldn't have gotten through it without MJ. So much better than any of those prescribed meds (those morphine patches came pretty close!).
Not sure as far as the brand, all the stuff came with stickers that read HTGSupply.com, which is where they were ordered from. Great value though; even if you find one at a retailer it's likely to be overpriced.

akornpatch said:
love the new square pots too BTW.
Thanks akorn. They're 4.4 quart Rubbermaid tubs that I got at Menards for $2.69 each. Just drilled drainage holes in the bottoms, and the lids snapped in perfectly underneath for the catch. Worked out great... I'll be sure to keep up with this journal as it is my first grow!
:allgood:

Here's the problem with growing more than one plant per container (from seed).
Let's say you have 2 plants growing in the same container. After 12/12-ing you notice one of them is a male. It's gotta go.
If you rip it up, you're gonna screw up the other plant because likely their roots are intertwined. If you rip the male up you7're also gonna take some of the roots of the other plant, or at least disturb htem.
Maybe you figure you'll cut the plant off at soil level.
That means the roots of that plant will begin to rot. Intertwined with the other plants' roots may give the remaining plant root rot.
I can't think of 1 advantage having more than 1 plant per container can provide.

Well I guess I can relate to that if you're "container" growing as most people do. Then it may be a problem. But if you're using a larger bed like 3'x3' or larger it would be fine to combine multiple plants. Theory is that the roots can develop more naturally without the need to transplant to larger containers to avoid them being root bound. The roots have space to spread out and breath. If one's a male, chop him at the ground and let the root ball compost itself. ???

Back
Top Bottom