Dales White Widow Max 1st Ever Grow - Indoor - Check It Out

DaleDenton

I've been reading this forum throughout our grow and it's time I share our 1st growing experience with all of you.

Setup

Seeds
10 White Widow Max seeds (420 Seeds.com)
Random Bag Seeds

Bloom Room
6'x3.5'x8'
1000w Agromax HPS
Heater
Humdifier
Fan
Generic Reflector

Veg Armoire
3'x2.5'x4'
Custom Made 6 Socket CFL Fixture
2x100w CFL
4x60w CFL

Nutes, Misc Equipment, Etc
Mother Earth Blended Natural Super Tea 4.8-1.8-4.3
Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Bloom Soil Formula 1.5-4-5
General Hydroponics SubCulture Beneficial Bacteria
Mixture of MiracleGrow Moisture Control (including free fungas gnats), Scotts Farm Potting Soil, Fox Farms Ocean Forest Soil
Large bag of Perlite
Various pots from from Solo Cups to 5 Gallon Buckets
1000w Metal Hallide
Generic Umbrella Style Reflector
PH Raise
PH Down
PH Test Kit
Olivias Cloning Gel
Digital Temp/Humidity Thermometer
Digital Timer

I am starting this journal a little late in the grow, so let me give you a quick background. (We are currently on day 4 of 12/12 with roughly 46 days veg on the two oldest plants) This has quickly turned from a random spur of the moment idea to somewhat of an infatuation.

It all started out with a fairly large incandescent bulb and 1 White White Max seed and several dozen bag seeds planted in the dark in solo cups with Miracle Grow Soil.

After witnessing the miracle of life we were inspired to plant 3 more White Widow Max seeds to go with our newly sprouted White Widow Max plant, and the sole bag seed survivor.

Within 3 days, the 3 White Widow Max sprouted giving us a total of 5 plants and prompting us to plant the remaining 5 White Widow Max seeds. (This progression was not the most prudent course in hindsight, but I suppose that's what learning is all about)

Our 'Bloom Room' was actually the room where all the magic started so throughout the course of the next month and a half we amassed quite an array of equipment, and then we punctured a roughly 3.5"x5" exhaust hole in the ceiling of the closet.

Thus far we've overcome a nasty fungus gnat infection with the help of predatory nematodes, and better water management.

We're located in a 4 season climate and winter is quickly approaching dropping temperatures so we have to battle a wide temperature range w/ our day and night cycles. Hence we installed a Ceramic Tower heater that has a auto on/off digital temperature gauge. With the 1000w MH our temps ranged roughly 80F -65F. With the 1000w HPS our ranges are now pretty bad, 86F - 67F. We're currently working on fine tuning this by adjusting the heater and thinking of ways to better ventilate the heat. Suggestions are appreciated.

For the most part in veg we were going 18/6 but we did start out 24/0.

We've also decided to build a new 'Veg Armoire/Clone-Mother Closet' out of an old armoire.

Overall I am extremely pleased with our first grow, but that doesn't mean we haven't had our fair share of mistakes and hurdles.

A few mistakes I think we've made are as follows:
-Put the 1000w MH too far from plants which caused stretching
-Period of underwatering
-Period of overwatering
-Lack of Phosphorus (not sure about this, but there was a spell when the outside edges of the fan leaves had a purple tint to them. Regardless, it seems to have gone away now)
-Period of only 20-30% Constant RH.
-Too wide a temp range (still working on this)
-Perhaps Mild nutrient burn? (Not sure about this, but some leaves looked burned on the outside, all lower in the plant. But it was only like 1 fan leaf on the entire plant, but 2 of the plants have them.)

So welcome and remember - feedback is encouraged!

:smokin:

Here is the first pic that was uploaded. This is a side shot of the Veg Armoire.
rsz_1100_0337.jpg

Not nearly as impressive as the ones in the flower room, but hopefully the other pictures i tried to upload actually work and I can add them soon.

A little more on the current status.

We believe we have 4 confirmed females that actually started to show during veg for some reason. These are in the flower room and luckily all White Widow Max. They were all planted within a week of each other and are the oldest plants.

We have 2 plants that we believe will be males. 1x WWM and the only bag seed survivor.

When i trimmed the lowest few branches off the plants that are blooming we decided to try and make 4 clones from the female plants. We don't have a propagator yet (that may change this weekend) but we did dip them in olivias and put them in tiny pots in the veg room to see if they'd root. Probably not the best method, but an experiment nonetheless.

We now have 6 plants in the veg room. One of the alleged males - the only bag seed plant, and 5 young WWM plants (I can't remember exactly when we planted them. I know i know, damn stoner!)

:grinjoint: <---I can't wait to smoke one of these out of our WWM!

Apparently it works instantly if you upload the pics one at a time.

Random Shot in Bloom Room
100_0326.JPG

Another farther back view
rsz_2100_0318.jpg

The ceiling of the bloom room. Any idea how to ventilate better?
100_0317.JPG

I think this is a male :(
100_0319.JPG

A very pretty lady
100_0320.JPG

Fan leave shot - I think it looks super healthy, but it used to have a purple rim on the outside. What do you think?
rsz_100_0323.jpg

Here is a shot of one of the ladies next to a yard stick
100_0334.JPG

Here is the tallest (and oldest lady) I love her --- I just hope she's not offended that I want nothing more than to cut her down and smoke her one day.
100_0333.JPG

And the last picture I'll post tonight
100_0331.JPG

So let me help you help me, what kind of pictures can I take that will help you diagnose the condition of my garden?

Thanks in advance for lending your time and expertise!

:grinjoint:

Nice grow man! What's the diffrence between a white widow, and a white widow max??

Honestly I don't know, I don't think much... it just sounds cooler! but anyway here are the two descriptions from the seed banks website:

White Widow
White Widow is probably the world's favourite weed. Winner of the 1995 Cannabis Cup, it is among the most popular varieties on coffee shop menus in Holland. Buds are fairly compact to support its massive amounts of white resin. White Widow gives a powerful buzz, being both energetic and very social. With THC levels at approximately 20%, White Widow is one of the strongest strains in the world.

White Widow Max
White Widow Max is an improved version of White Widow. White Widow Max cannabis seeds are of exceptional quality and will yield more as well as producing more consistent plants than White Widow original. White Widow Max produces large crystalline buds and grows well indoor or hydroponically. Comes highly recommended. Truly premium marijuana seeds.

I think your widow lady will be honored when you smoke her.

Welcome to 420 Magazine. Looks good so far, did I miss something besides the clones and in the veg room? What type of tiny pots did you use for this? In soil? or rooting medium I.e. rockwool? I clone openly in my veg room. rockwool cubes, soaked in " Earth Juice Rootstock and H20, squeezed moist,Earth Juice Gel for dipping cuttings in, and spraying them " Misting" finely with strait H20 and an occasional EJR mild soultion, rooting happens in 5-10 days, under 2 4' 40w cool whites for 2 weeks.
The Fan leave looks fine, Purple in stocks stems can be a genetic trait as well as sometimes a deficiency. And from here looks like 1 male 1 female, cut him unless you have a place to grow a male and collect pollen to make some seeds later. That is fun to do.
Take some pics a little further away to show some depth and then narrow in on a specific area in question for us all here.

Well as always Cherma is right, looks like you got one male and all those females look just dandy and healthy. They are very nice plants man, welcome to the site.

Welcome to 420 Magazine. Looks good so far, did I miss something besides the clones and in the veg room? What type of tiny pots did you use for this? In soil? or rooting medium I.e. rockwool? I clone openly in my veg room. rockwool cubes, soaked in " Earth Juice Rootstock and H20, squeezed moist,Earth Juice Gel for dipping cuttings in, and spraying them " Misting" finely with strait H20 and an occasional EJR mild soultion, rooting happens in 5-10 days, under 2 4' 40w cool whites for 2 weeks.
The Fan leave looks fine, Purple in stocks stems can be a genetic trait as well as sometimes a deficiency. And from here looks like 1 male 1 female, cut him unless you have a place to grow a male and collect pollen to make some seeds later. That is fun to do.
Take some pics a little further away to show some depth and then narrow in on a specific area in question for us all here.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

In the veg room there are 5 plants that were growing under the 1000w MH for probably about a month or so, plus an old (most likely male) bag seed that we wanted out of the bloom room. Additionally, there are 4 clones in there.

The Old male is in a 1.5 gallon round pot, and the rest of the plants are in unknown small round pots i found laying around the house. I would guess they are half gallon pots. All sitting in fox farms ocean forest, these were lucky enough to not be put in the gnat infested home depot soils. The clones are in the small unknown pots, actually 2 per pot. We didn't have any smaller pots to use, so this was mainly an experiment that just might work! The clone look pathetic after day 2, only two of them are standing. I'll try to snap a few photos and post them this week.

Of our six CFLs in the veg room, the 2 100w burned out. They were opened and returned, but they were the only 100w CFL's in the blue spectrum so we took a chance. We run them 24/0. Hopefully I'll quit being lazy and return them to Home Depot for new 100w blue CFL's if they have them in stock. If not, do you think it's better to add more 60w for the time being?

I guess I only wanted to keep the Males around to see what they looked like further in development to help me spot them in the future mixed with a little bit of denial, hoping they turn female. But alas maybe I'll kill them and try to make brownies or something. Can you make brownies with males of 1-1.5 months of vegging?

Thanks for the photo tips. I'm obviously not a photographer, and I don't have the best camera at my disposal but I'll be photographing my new found obsession regularly.

Thanks again!

Hey on the ceiling hole cut out to allow heat escaping, can you get a exhaust fan up there somehow? There are several ways to do that.

That was probably going to be our next move. We were thinking of hooking in a bathroom 'fart fan' and putting in a switch, since we currently don't have a way to link this to directly to room temp.

From the few photos posted it's probably difficult to tell, but one fan in that hole, how much do you think we could get room temp down?

Also, do you think that putting a fan on the shelf blowing up towards the exhaust hole might help in the mean time, opposed to being on the floor? I know it's a good idea to keep you plants in a little breeze so that's why we've been hesitant to move it, however the fan on the humidifier is surprisingly strong, that might be adequate for lower room circulation. The only air intake as of now is the crack under the door, when it's not covered with a towel to block light.

man all looks good welcome to the site and cant wait to see how they turn out, Yuppers thats a man all the other ladies look good:bong:

Here are few snap shots from tonight showing the exhaust build and a leaf in question.....

100_0345.JPG

Exhaust Fan
100_0349.JPG

This is only on one plant, and 2 leaves. The other leave has only one tiny spot and this one looks worse. Any idea if this means anything?
100_03521.JPG

Another shot from farther back just to give perspective. Looks a lot worse in the closeup than it really is.
rsz_100_0361.jpg

Distance shot of clone room
rsz_100_0347.jpg

This is what I'll be stroking myself to tonight
rsz_100_0344.jpg

Here is the male out to dry. Later!
100_03581.JPG

Here is a wide shot of the grow room. Damn things are shaping up nicely.

So what's the verdict on the spot on our leave?

Back
Top Bottom