Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Chump's First

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chump's First

Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, they're soft whites, I threw out the box so I don't know about the calvins, it's probably the lower amount.

I think what I'll do is buy 3 of the regular CFL floods, take out the Y splitter. And use 1 per pot, real close. Then start adding the Y and T spitters to add more light using the softs durring veg. I'm not an electriction, so I don't know how to wire up a full custom system. Just trying out how to maximize what I have. Which is 3 fixtures, 3 Y splitters, and 2 T splitters, for a total of 10 possible bulbs.

Dug up an old fan from the basement, took it apart and cleaned it real good. I'll have to figure out the best placement for it in my small closet.

Post Thanks / Like

Might won't need one just open door when it's to hot or use computer fans

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. chump stain View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, they're soft whites, I threw out the box so I don't know about the calvins, it's probably the lower amount.

I think what I'll do is buy 3 of the regular CFL floods, take out the Y splitter. And use 1 per pot, real close. Then start adding the Y and T spitters to add more light using the softs durring veg. I'm not an electriction, so I don't know how to wire up a full custom system. Just trying out how to maximize what I have. Which is 3 fixtures, 3 Y splitters, and 2 T splitters, for a total of 10 possible bulbs.

Dug up an old fan from the basement, took it apart and cleaned it real good. I'll have to figure out the best placement for it in my small closet.
    Be careful with the flood lights as they are a focused beam, and therefore will also focus heat. As DFW-Guy stated, they will work just fine, but heat will probably be your biggest concern to begin with. We are running 7 of the 6500K bulbs for our clones and sprouts. It is cooler in that chamber than it is with the 5-2700k bulbs in the opposite chamber. Keeping the fan near the floor for now will draw in the coolest air available in the room, so it should be just fine. I am pullin for ya, hope to see some ladies sprout buds in the near future.
    GMT1975A

First Grow New Facilities

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess!

Post Thanks / Like

The CFL floods wont put off as much heat though, right? How close can you get with a CFL flood?

Post Thanks / Like

The CFL floods wont put off as much heat though, right? How close can you get with a CFL flood?
    Actually, the spiral CFL's won't create hot spots like the floods will. You will have to test with the back of your hand exposed at plant height. If it feels to warm for your skin, then it is probably to warm for the plants. I would error on the side of caution and begin with my lamps further away, then slowly move them closer until the plants respond adversely. Maybe an inch every day or two until you see it is to warm for them. Hope that helps.
    GMT1975A

Post Thanks / Like

With the seedlings a great way to tell how far to have the lights is by how they grow! If they sprout out tall w/ long stems, the light needs to be closer, as they are reaching for more light (naturally this brings the plant above whatever is growing around it). If they start out so short that the plant is less than a centimeter tall and has fully developed leaves (happened to me) you can probably back off an inch.

As the plants get older and start growing more rapidly they can take more heat and light intensity so you don't have to worry so much about the lights; chances are you'll have found a sweet spot by that point & will know just how your plants like it.

About getting more sockets for hanging the lights to shine downwards on the plants. If you have a lamp parts supply store (home depot works too) you can pick up individual light sockets and cords for less than you spent on those fixtures. The socket will run you $1-2 and the cord (6ft) w/ wall socket less than a dollar. Ask an assistant for help on how to wire the socket, let me tell you it's very easy, just put 1 end of the cord here and the other there. Oh and if you want to use those Y-Sockets, angle them so the lights shine parallel to how the plants are arranged; that way they point over the plants & not to the sides, that's how I would have the setup you have now going.
    DFW Guy
    \\He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man//
    Poor, CFL, Stealth, maybe a little luck?
    DFW-guy rocks the box!

Post Thanks / Like

I just ran accross a thead that Cees put together. Interesting read, what do you guys think of his 12/12 method? Sounds like it works! I think I will let mine veg for a few weeks though, probably not a full month (cause they would get too big I think).

Jimmy Max Parker
    11/2/41 - 02/19/17
    420 Member of the Month - Dec 09', Nov 10', June 11', May 12', May 13'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just ran accross a thead that Cees put together. Interesting read, what do you guys think of his 12/12 method? Sounds like it works! I think I will let mine veg for a few weeks though, probably not a full month (cause they would get too big I think).
    It will work and cut some of the hight down. Give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if you would even want to try LST with Cees method? I was going to tie these girls down, but doing a short veg then going 12/12 sounds like a nice alternative. I would probably get more of a 1 big bud style of plant, which is kinda cool, less trimming.

Post Thanks / Like

The size depends on the strain really. Even going 12/12 from seed, tall plants meant for outdoor growing can reach over 2ft in height. You shouldn't have a problem with that though as your plants didn't seem to get super big (exept for the big boy, but he had a long veg period). I say go ahead and try the 12/12 from seed method, seems like a great way to have small plants. Personally I would veg for a week or maybe 2, just until the plant gets out of seedling stage.
    DFW Guy
    \\He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man//
    Poor, CFL, Stealth, maybe a little luck?
    DFW-guy rocks the box!

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like letting grow some legs before making them run. But then I have a bit more space available to do so.
    GMT1975A

Post Thanks / Like

Alright! Aroma sprouted first! It's barely out of the ground, but I can see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do (is let them veg for a week or 2). I planted them offset in the pots, because I planned on tying them down. So I think I'll do a combination technique, a week or two of veg, tie them down maybe once or twice. Then go into flowering.

Jimmy Max Parker
    11/2/41 - 02/19/17
    420 Member of the Month - Dec 09', Nov 10', June 11', May 12', May 13'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do (is let them veg for a week or 2). I planted them offset in the pots, because I planned on tying them down. So I think I'll do a combination technique, a week or two of veg, tie them down maybe once or twice. Then go into flowering.
    Actually that sounds like a perfect plan. I am pretty sure my next grow will be just like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ms. Chump Stain, no matter how ya do it, I will be onboard to watch, you have done a fantastic job so far.
    GMT1975A

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast