Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Our First

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our First

Thanks everyone for the comments. I gave reps all around.

I did lower the lights and we talked about more lights. I'm sure this is an obvious 'yes' but will they make that much more of a difference?

Also, I made an exhaust fan from a computer case fan and an old phone charger I had sitting around. The output of the charger is only 4.8v though, so I'm not getting the 89.3 CFM that the fan is rated at. I'm guessing somewhere around 35-40 CFM so that'll make the room air change around once every 10-12 minutes, is that okay? I'm wondering if I shouldn't go buy a DC adapter that'll give me the 12v for the fan.

Here's a pic of the fan:

Thanks again everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also now starting to get concerned about ambient temperature and relative humidity. My grow space is in an outside closet that has no access to HVAC. I live in FL so it's really humid and it gets pretty warm in there (High 80s lately).

Should I be concerned? I have a fan in there to move the air around and I've got the exhaust fan to help get new air in.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help. We're now in official talks about more lighting.

I'm going to visit Home Depot to get some supplies for a carbon scrubber hopefully later today. If not, tomorrow.

Thanks for the reps Pitviper!

Post Thanks / Like

Your welcome! The one you found on the side looks great! You will be surprised how hardy cannabis is. ;-)

Rep points - Look underneath your avatar in your box. You will see a green circle (showing you are online) and next to that green circle is the icon you click on to add rep points. It looks like a old school scale. You can click on anyone's rep icon when you like their post. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Cute babies!! I'm crossing my fingers for girls!!! If you haven't already, you should punch some holes in the bottom of those cups. I used a tac on mine and put about 15 holes in the bottom. They drain really well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pitviper View Post
    sounds like your in union negotiations.
    LOL. Sometimes I feel that I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Fox View Post
    Your welcome! The one you found on the side looks great! You will be surprised how hardy cannabis is. ;-)
    Thank you again, Ms. Fox. You have been so encouraging and helpful. I really appreciate it. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Bud stankalot View Post
    Cute babies!! I'm crossing my fingers for girls!!! If you haven't already, you should punch some holes in the bottom of those cups. I used a tac on mine and put about 15 holes in the bottom. They drain really well.
    You can't see them in the pics I took but there are 4 slots on the side of the SC and 4 on the underside of the AM. Thank you for the advice though, any help I can get along the way that will make my garden grow, is greatly appreciated.

I'll put some more pics up in the next few days. The AM is showing teeth on it's leaves and the SC has really perked up since I rescued it from the edge of the cup.

I really can't thank you all enough. You guys rock.

420 Member of the Month: Second Place Winner BubbaDank's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

GLAD TO see you started a thread

seedlings are lookin ,off to a great start ,just make sure to keep lights close as possible

+REPs on the DIY fan
    i will be stickn around to watch this one

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BuBBa. I appreciate the reps too!

We're still talking lights. How soon should I get more?

420 Member of the Month HazeSeeker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You need as much light as you can and soon as you can ...
    Good lucj m8 ...im signin in.
    +reps for luck and motivation

Post Thanks / Like

Great to have you on board Haze!

We're going today for more lights. The Afghan has stretched considerably and I'm a little worried about it. I'll get some pics up after we get back with the lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey MacMota. Grats on starting a journal. My AM also stretched incredibly as a seedling, but I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. I controlled it by getting the lights as close as possible, about an inch away, and that did the trick. Mine looked just like yours.

As a seedling:

And now:

You can really control the height of your plants with Fluoros by getting them as close as possible and won't have to worry about burning them with heat. Hope that helps with the stretch. Where did you get your beans? Just wondering if it's the same place I got mine.

Don't mean to intrude on your journal, just giving you some reference pics. GL on the grow.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you KannabisKid. That's very encouraging to know that it'll all work out. That is if I didn't kill it.

I went to the store and got some more lights today. I got:

2 - 48" shop lights

2 - GE Daylight bulbs, 3050 lumens, 40w, 6700k light temp

2 - GE Sunlight bulbs, 2250 lumens, 40w, 5000k light temp

This puts us at a total of 14400 lumens, 240w and a variable light spectrum.

After getting home from the store, we decided to transplant the seedlings from the cups they were in, to their permanent homes in 5 gallon planting pots.

The SC was moved over fine. The were exposed for a minute but it was only to allow them to get put deeper into the bigger pot. We quickly buried the roots and watered.

Then the problem happened. When moving the AM over, I dropped the rootball tearing most of the roots off the plant. There's still around 2 inches of root left, but I'm really scared I killed it. Anyway, there's pics of the new lights and the seedlings below.

My lights:

SC:

AM, poor thing:

So yeah, I really hope the AM will be alright. I put some root encouraging nutes in the soil (5-10-5, I think) hoping to get the roots to come back. I'm pretty sad right now.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to eventually move the seedlings into 400watt or higher for the lighting?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about the root damage man. I'm a new cultivator myself so I can't offer any suggestions as to how to fix it or special treatment. If anything, you can always germ another bean.
    On another note, the lights should be plenty for your plants. I have a 4' T5 pushing 20k for 3 plants and just now had to supplement with 2 more CFLs. I just reread and noticed your room is an outside closet/storage room. I'm no expert, but I read somewhere that adding co2 would somewhat reduce the level of heat and humidity. Again I'm not 100% positive, but if this is true, it might be something to look into for a room like this. Any Grow Support Members have any info on this? I found some co2 pucks from a website and was thinking about trying them. I remember how damned hot and humid it was down south lol.
    Same place I got my seeds.

+reps my friend and GL on the grow. I'm tuned in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DGMGH View Post
    Are you going to eventually move the seedlings into 400watt or higher for the lighting?
    Thanks for looking DGMGH! We're going to stick with fluoros for now but if this goes well we've talked about flowering under HID in the future. Right now, space and stealth are our biggest hinderance for the big lights. I'd be curious to see how SC would do under 400w or 600w of HPS.

Quote Originally Posted by KannabisKid View Post
    Sorry to hear about the root damage man...If anything, you can always germ another bean.
    Thanks man, I really appreciate the kind words and you're right, I could always germ another. I mean, I have 9 more. Also, I'll look in to the CO2, I haven't heard that but I'm an uber noob at this. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Thanks for the reps too. I really like how friendly everyone is here , I've had a rather poor experience on another site.

Thanks again everyone!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast