Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Our First

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our First

It looks like your right where you should be. Just don't overwater.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice for sure! I'll be honest I got a little scared at first, but when you two decided to transplant I knew it would be aok!!! I can't wait for those pics!!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As promised, pictures.

First up is the Strawberry Cough. This one started out a little later than the Mazar-Afghan (1 day) and is on Day 32. (I didn't look at the calendar that we drew up for my last update. Oops.) It was touch and go there for a week or so as the plant was yellowing badly. Last Friday I watered them both with a diluted nutrient mix and they both took to it like non-other. They now both have huge growth and they're green as ever. A real dark healthy looking evergreen color. Anyway, here's the SC pics.

Day 32:

The last pic is of the lower leave sets. I'm assuming that the plant is okay with those like that because the upper leaves are looking super happy and are way greener than these.

Now for the Mazar-Afghan. As you remember I nearly destroyed this one by tearing off the root ball. (If you didn't read, I tore off most of the roots when I was transplanting from the cups they sprouted in to their bigger, permanent homes.) This thing is huge! There are so many leaves growing on it now and the uppermost ones have 7 tongs. It's getting tall enough to the point that I'm considering moving the lights up on it. It's still about 1.5" from the light though so I may hold off. It's a sativa dominant so I don't know what to do. Below is some pics.

Day 33:

I know it's probably too early to tell and that last picture is kinda blurry, (I need a tripod.) but those look like the start of pistils to me. I'm gonna look at the sexing post (Thanks KannabisKid!) and make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbuddie View Post
    It looks like your right where you should be. Just don't overwater.
    Thanks Wolfbuddie, for stopping by. They are on a weekly watering schedule now with little sips in between. They each get a quart or so with nutrients that are diluted 2.5 caps full to one gallon of water. They're also getting a cup or so of just water half way through the week, if needed. (I almost put PRN for you healthcare folks. )

Quote Originally Posted by DeadTour09 View Post
    Very nice for sure! I'll be honest I got a little scared at first, but when you two decided to transplant I knew it would be aok!!! I can't wait for those pics!!!! Keep up the good work!!!
    Thank you so much DeadTour for your help. I was a little scared too but the best thing I could have done was take your advice and add perlite. These things are taking off!

And KannabisKid, thank you as well for all your encouragement and support. You as well as the others are helping us immensely.

That's all for now. I'm on my off day stint so I'll probably put some more pictures up here tomorrow or the day after. As usual, thanks to all of you for the help and thanks for reading this n00b's journal.

Post Thanks / Like

I also forgot to mention that if you want to see bigger pictures the super huge ones are in my photo gallery. Here's the link: My Photo Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! They are soo pretty! +REP!

Post Thanks / Like

Good Job, They seem to be responding really well, Keep up the good work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Fox View Post
    Wow! They are soo pretty! +REP!
    Thank you Ms. Fox! I think they are pretty as well. I remember a time when I thought I'd never see an actual pot leaf in person. Now, I have 2 whole plants!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbuddie View Post
    Good Job, They seem to be responding really well, Keep up the good work
    That they are. I can't wait to start flowering them.

Thanks guys (and girl)!

Post Thanks / Like

So I felt like throwing some more pics up because these plants are so cool.

Anyway, first up is SC. It's starting a tri-pattern in the leaves I hope that doesn't mean it's retarded or something. Okay so to the pictures.

Day 34:

Here's the MA. I can't believe how quickly it's growing! I had to raise the light some because the top leaves where growing around the bulb.

So my question is, is it too late to start LST? Also, what kind of string should I use? Is there a link to a tutorial? I did some research and saw how to do it but I still have some questions.

So yeah, that's all for now. Thanks as usual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MacMota View Post
    And KannabisKid, thank you as well for all your encouragement and support. You as well as the others are helping us immensely.
    You're welcome. Help and support is what drew me to this forum. Without everyone here, I wouldn't be where I am with my grow. I would still be contemplating. So +rep for the site
    Now about your girls. Looking very good and healthy.
    As for the LST, it's a fine time to start. I found a tutorial vid, but I didn't like his method. He basically bent the plant back and forth a couple of times til it bent a lot easier. I personally think this would cause damage and stress to the plant that way. I simply and gently bent the stalk over very slowly and secured it with rope. Mine were much bigger at the time of lst'ing and it worked just fine. You could use anything to tie them down with like kite string, shoe laces, fishing line. I've even seen people use zip-ties. You're MA could definitely use it as mine is super dense and could have benefited more if I would have taken the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I'm wondering about the leaf curl, you see how some of the top most leaves have a "taco" shape to them, thats not normal. Whats your temps like? How's that pH doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeadTour09 View Post
    Hello, I'm wondering about the leaf curl, you see how some of the top most leaves have a "taco" shape to them, thats not normal. Whats your temps like? How's that pH doing?
    I hadn't even noticed the leaves until you pointed it out.

The temps are on the warm side. Depending on the outside temperature we'll see anywhere from 80-90F with relative humidity at 40-60%+. I know it's warm and humid but I have no way of cooling it off in there. It's a storage unit that has an outside entrance only and I can't get A/C in to it. I do have a fan that circulates the air inside there as well as a vent fan that moves around 80-85 cfm blowing out of a dryer vent.

The pH I haven't tested. I've been using tap water (I know, cringe) that I let sit for 7-10 days without a lid on it to try and balance it out some and let any chlorine evaporate. Honestly, I wouldn't know how to test the pH on it. I used to be big into aquariums and we used these test strips that you would dip into the water or a solution that you would drop into a vial and compare those to a chart to see if you were too acidic or alkaline. I'm assuming I'd have to use one specifically for soil?

There sleeping now so I can't go look at them but in the morning when the light's are on I'll go look at them and see if the "taco" shaping remains.

Thanks DeadTour!

Post Thanks / Like

I know thats what I thought at first too. But you just adjust the water, and you'll bring the pH down after a few waterings So those strips will work. You got a shot glass, just pour some of your water in the glass and test.... If you want a decent harvest you'll need to get your pH managed. 6.5 is a good goal. If you get run off from the bottom of the pot when you water, catch enough in your shot glass or cup and test it. This will give you an idea of what your soils pH is.

It takes a grow or two to get it workin right, use the forums as your bible

EDIT
    Those temps are fine

Post Thanks / Like

Heya Mac. I wouldn't be too concerned with the "taco" shaped leaves. They are just new leaves that are spreading their wings. I went back and double checked all my pics and some pics from other journals, and they all do that. Notice your leaves below on the MA. They will eventually flatten out once they reach good size. I'm sure it's just more pronounced with the current size of your plants. Once they gain a little more weight, you won't even notice it. Here is a current pic of my MA:

Taco shaped new growth.

Have you thought about the LST option any more? Let me know if you need any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Work! I wish I had someone to grow for me like that!

Post Thanks / Like

Believe me your growth would look quite different with pH balanced water. kannabiskid, whats your pH at??? I would say you could adjust yours as well, you have the same leaf curl going on and some of your leaves look wrinkled. Unless thats in the genetics of the MJ plant, it's not normal. good luck!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast