Neem Oil Poison

Wow I thought the excessive spraying of neem oil during a recent drought was the reason my large fan leaves were developing brown rusty looking spots, turning yellow, shriveling up and droping off but I have never heard of too much neem oil. Thank you! I have not sprayed any more since it finally rained. The tops/new growth looks great will my 10 foot tall cole train fully recover? Wait I just read the info on the link. Do you mean poison plants, people, or both.

I didn't read anything in that link that mentions neem poisoning the plants in any way. And yes it could technically harm the plants by too much foliar spraying but then again any foliar spray can do that. And if your plants were lacking food or water they will do that to themselves. Even really bushy plants will kill of the inner growth that isn't getting much light.

I found out the reason my leaves were yellowing and dropping off so early was because it was infested with termites!

Never heard of marijuana being infested with termites. Termites eat wood and marijuana is not wood so I don't see that happening like ever. You were more like to be infested with spider mites.
they were huge 12 foot plants and one was getting eaten out at base of the stalk and it was termites. google it termits can infest the stalk of cannabis plants. I know the difference between a spider mite and a termite.:reading420magazine: study up.

Spider mite control with out Neem's oil, I use sesame oil, isopropyl alcohol 90% a dash of Dawn dish soap, to break up the oil, and water mix, dose a fine job on a indoor grow. applied about every 12 days keeps things from ever getting out of hand, also I use diatomaceous earth spread on the top soil, keeps critters from making a home for them selves in my soil. Hope this helps.

Ok definitely had to research this termites and marijuana deal...it appears that they can infest the stalks. Not very common, but possible. Generally when there is an infestation near by and they are looking for new food. I don't live in an area where termites are a large problem. This is why I have never had to research this and have never heard of such a thing. And for the record size has nothing to do with it. I had 9-11 footers this year and had no issues with termites. Again not a common thing around me.

Hi there - PLEASE HELP - 7 days ago a had amazingly healthy looking plants (20 cm high, 8 weeks old, in veg stage with 400 light indoor on 12/8. I them noticed some of leaves puckering etc so fed them (first feed) . I also saw a few dots on plants so thought I'd spray them in neem oil - (30ml pure warm oil, 5ml fairy liquid into litre spray bottle) !!!
They are all dying almost overnight - some black leaves, all curled inwards, brown coppery spots on some, others look shredded . It's like I've killed them with kindness . The PH is 6.7. I've today switched off the lights, flushed the roots with water, and sprayed the leaves with soapy water then clear . I've no idea what tomorrow will bring . Should I leave lights off or start lights again for tomorrow morning . I have photos of disaster ? Thank you for any help at all .

Did you leave the lights on after you sprayed the neem oil? It seems like that's where a lot of people run into problems. Black leaves? That sounds pretty intense, you should post pics or start a thread in the FAQ

A) Not termites. Mites.
----------- Specifically spider mites that suck the juices out of the plant. These are prevalent in dry climates in N.A. Not unlike the dreaded bamboo mite.

B) Neem oil is safe despite what is being reported here. Any oil on a plant can kill it if you overuse it. Oil will make it impossible for it to undergo transpiration. This will smother the plant killing it. That's the black on your plant now.

---- About the neem oil poisoning in humans. You aren't supposed to drink it. The lady in the study consumed 5 bottles of the oil which is a REALLY stupid idea. Neem is not dangerous unless you consume internally.
Spraying neem on a leaf is far less dangerous than using a miticide like Dicofol (related to DDT molecule )

I liken this to consuming 5 teaspoons of Cinnamon will cause kidney failure in most people. Cinnamon (common store variety) contains large amounts of Coumarin. Does this mean Cinnamon is toxic? No... Just don't consume it in a large dose. :thumb:

I Dropped the alcohol, in favor of just babies oil, water and dawn dish soap, seems to work just fine. Applied about 12 to 14 days apart. Sprayed in a up ward motion to spray the under side of the leaves and the stock.

Spider mite control with out Neem's oil, I use sesame oil, isopropyl alcohol 90% a dash of Dawn dish soap, to break up the oil, and water mix, dose a fine job on a indoor grow. applied about every 12 days keeps things from ever getting out of hand, also I use diatomaceous earth spread on the top soil, keeps critters from making a home for them selves in my soil. Hope this helps.
Diatanaceous Earth will be used by the plant as silica, very good for creating a protective later over the roots and entire plant. Using de as silica has been shown to cause the smoker's lungs to develop glass like cists

I know this is a necro-bump, but for anyone reading this, Azamaz is an concentrate of Neem oil's goodies, and is easier on the plant and the plant consumer.

Back
Top Bottom