24 hours of light for auto flowers?

Onamatopeia

Curious if anyone has grown auto flowers under 24 hours of light. Not so much in veg as during flowering.

It seems they would grow a lot bigger if you just never turned the lights off. Will they finish flowering if they never get a dark period?

You are correct they would grow a lot bigger, and so would you, but unlike machines all SENTIENT beings need a rest, if only for energy exchange, much goes on in the dark, and with people too

Will they finish flowering if they never get a dark period? yes, but the deal is to reduce stress or suffer the herm

Vastok, not sure what you are saying?

That 24 hours of light would stress the plants? How would it stress them?

Can you share your experience with us?

Well as i see it anything from 17 hrs to 20 hrs is great the rest period seems to help them i myself as of yet still play with the photoperiod ladies in feminised form the thought of dropping a seed in soil with little water and nutes with the amazing yields and quality makes me want to start a autoflower grow but with 2 harvest a year and my grow chambers seeding outside flower garden stuff i really dont know when i will grow one, i might recommend dark devil ....

For my autos, it is a question of value. If you believe Harley Smith (youtube growing videos), anything over 17.5 hours of light and you are not getting your moneys worth from your electricity. You may get more bud, but you are paying more for the increase than you may want to pay.

I encourage everyone curious about this to do some digging!
Marijuana is a C3 plant..
It's been established for many many many years now that cannabis is a C3 plant. It does not need a dark period.

C3 plants gather CO2 only during the light period when they are photosynthesizing. As long as the light is on, C3 plants gather and use CO2 for photosynthesis.

Some growers practice a version of anthropomorphism with their plants. They believe that since people need rest, plants do as well. Concerning cannabis, this is not true.

Every grower can make a personal choice about light cycle. They can save on their electric bill or prolong ballast/bulb life. 18/6 can be less of a "shock" when changing over to 12/12 for flowering than 24/0 or heat issues can be addressed by fewer hours of light, but basic botany has proven long ago that cannabis needs no dark period.

I vege for 24 and flowered for 18/6 auto Pounder w Cheese, NL and Northern Hog. All came out beefy with some LST and FF nutes and soil.... Actually my first two sapped sugar...I've got pics of it, crazy trich with real sugar dripping from calyxs take a look. Under T5 and T8

You are correct they would grow a lot bigger, and so would you, but unlike machines all SENTIENT beings need a rest, if only for energy exchange, much goes on in the dark, and with people too

Will they finish flowering if they never get a dark period? yes, but the deal is to reduce stress or suffer the herm

Yes, sentient beings need to shut their brains down for a period of time. But -- plants are not sentient beings. The definition of 'sentient' is that the creature needs to be self aware. Aware of its own existence and how it relates to other beings in its world. Sensations such as love and hate and fear.

I keep my moms in 24/7 light for months and they don't complain.

~ Auggie ~

I can't see how someone can grow autos indoors when he can grow regular cuts or plants in the same space and get much better results.

Gotta agree with that.
I think it's because all an advertiser has to say is "new and improved", and the suckers line up.

~ auggie ~

Ive been growing purely autos for over 2 and a half years straight. Ive tried 18/6 to 24/0 and everywhere in between. I have no doubt that 24/0 produces the highest yeilds but as stated above the increase in yeilds probably wont out weigh the added electricity costs.
Just a question to those who say why not just run cuts/ clones- how long does it take to get these to harvest if your aiming for a 7-10oz plant

24 hrs has worked for me many decades back and it works for me today. Since we have solar panels/PV, no sweat on paying mr redi electric. I do half n half, as many hrs as there is sunlight, then when its in twilight they go under a t5 4x4 until I rise each morning and move her outdoors. Then there is the time savings of days flushing as with normal light schedules 2 weeks is called for. Excessive time flushing is not required as the light cycle is continuious. The plant uptake happens only when photo synthesis occurs & not in darkness. When you irrigate or hydro, flushing duration is shortened to 6.5 days or for common sense of it 7 days. You save on use of fans too. Since we have PV, we worry not about what we consume electrical wise.

Sent from my SM-G900P using 420 Magazine Mobile App

im running 17-7 atm switch off 9 am and on at 4 pm to beat the heat of the day. I also leave my cabinet open during the day with a fan because we dont need to worry about light leakage its awesome. And yes basically the more light the bigger the plant from what I have gathered. Im still deciding weather or not to go with 12/12 during flower, seeing as though these beauties can grow 24/7 then as far as im concerned more light = bigger buds :yahoo:

Autos love 24 hour light. Thats why they are autos, they come from a place where night never comes...thats how they got the ruderalis gene that makes them flower without light. They have been crossed with photo period genes but they have been made into Autos with the ruderalis gene that is dominant. Autos flower without night because they dont need it.
The answer is .......if you think giving your auto plants 4 hours of darkness makes them better in some way...then do it!
But i would use 24 hour light for autos because thats where they come from...thats why there autos.
I would use 18/6 for photo periods.

Back
Top Bottom