Two daddies, or two phenotypes?

ScienceGrow

My first and current grow, I started with three seeds from the same bag.

Two developed leaves with a sativa like appearance. One developed leaves with an Indica appearance.

Since the mother of these seeds is unknown to me, I don't know the balance, whether it's well balanced or tilted toward indica or sativa.

So my question is, what would be more likely, that the mother plant was accidentally pollinated by two different plants, or that I'm seeing different phenotypes, that developed leaves differently?

If a plant is mostly sativa, will it usually have sativa like leaves? Or is leaf structure pretty variable in hybrids, regardless of dominance? For that matter, are there any trends when it comes to gene expression in hybrids. If so, what are they?

Is there a book or other reference that would better answer these questions for me?

I will get photos up tonight to confirm the leaf characteristics are as described.

Hybrids that are sativa/indica crosses will usually show one type as dominate but occasionally you will get the odd plant show the other as dominate. THC Bomb is a good example of this. Most plants will show indica dominance, but you will get about 1 in 10 show sativa dominance.

Most breeders will give detail about the strains dominate feature. For example, I grow the THC Bomb from Bomb Seeds. On their web site, they give the characteristic of what that breed is most likely to grow as(Indica dominate). BUT there is a 1 in 10 chance that I could get one to grow presenting its Sativa side which is the repressed genes.

A lot could depend on grow conditions as to of the which of the 2 you will get but that's something that has never been tested to my knowledge.

But all in all, its a crap shoot as you say. It may be a 1 in 10 chance to grow a sativa dominate THC Bomb but I might grow 1000 seeds out before I get that 1 in 10 grow LOL

The easiest to break it down is to... explain that F1 generation of homogeneous parents will show 3 phenos: one leaning on the part of the father, one leaning on the part of the mother, and one being a mixture of both. F2 resulting from crossing two plants will show 5 to 7 phenos, and then by picking father and mother again you'll partly stabilize the strain in F3, where you'll come back to around 3 phenos again. Most seedbanks release F1 though which is basically unstable strain but at least there will be some predictability in pheno expression, and they do it cause they want to make a quick buck as true breeding is time and space consuming! You got two phenos from your seeds but I can bet there's another one, it's just impossible to find it if you do not pop at least 10-20 seeds! It's all a number game!

Hi conradino, that's just the kind of explanation I was looking for. Any chance you can refer a book, journal, or article, that discusses this in depth? I was going to order a book on general plant genetics but something cannabis specific would be great.

Aha, cool, a great introduction. And confirms exactly what I've been thinking about all these different strains and seed banks. I need to get my hands on some pure land race so I can start breeding from more original stock. I'll still buy seeds, but man, imagine coming up with your own, unique, killer strain.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom