Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112

Thread: Flushing/Leaching and Final Bud Swell

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flushing/Leaching and Final Bud Swell

Quote Originally Posted by TheFertilizer View Post
    You flush the plant, you leech the medium. People call leeching flushing as well. Flushing the plant is the idea that starving it of nutrients will cause it to use up all the stored nutrients it has. Leeching the medium is when you're dumping copious amounts of water through it hoping to leech out extra nutrients. And actually, it's most often advocated to remove excess salt build up from the salty bottle nutrients.

LEDBud, I just read your journal, you're using Pro-Mix and coco? That's soil-less.

Bob, I never heard that leeching doesn't work on soil. Good information there.

So what's the difference between soil and soil-less? I mean, promix for example is just mostly peat moss if I remember right, so what makes soil a soil? The microorganisms? So okay, if I take a bag of Fox Farms Happy Frog "soil", and then dump a crapload of water and synthetic nutrients into it until all microlife is dead and gone... Is it still soil or is it now soilless medium that once resembled soil?

In previous grows I have found that when I get yellowing issues if I leech my soil, i.e. dump gallons of water through it, the plant will react positively. I've always assumed that this was because of the conventional wisdom that it was leeching out excess salts and nutrient buildup. However, I'm using Fox Farms Happy Frog, which as far as I know is definitely soil and not soil-less. So what's really going on when that happens? I noticed that I don't have the same results when using something like Ocean Forrest; leeching doesn't seem to do squat except compact that soil.

Personally, I just try to feed as little nutrients as possible from the beginning rather than trying to rely on some kind of "flushing" process at the end. My bud has tasted great every time, burnt right, and I give it a final feed about 1 week from flower. Leeching is something I've already read as a way to kind of "hard reset" your root's environment, but it has not worked out for me so well recently. I wonder, as with a lot of things, if this is a wisdom that was applied to hydroponic gardening that people started touting as applying to soil growing as well.
    When I started growing inside, I used FFOF mix & the FF line of nutes. And I remember FFs instructions, on their bogus feeding schedule. It said to flush about every two weeks, & I always doubted, that I was accomplishing anything. And by experimenting for a couple yrs., I did best doing what you said about managing the food supply and gradually lowering ppms to nothing by, 1 wk. before harvest. I'm growing in coco coir now, and very happy !! I'm growing 8 week strains & I cut nutes in 1/2 at end of wk. 6 & every 2 days cut in 1/2 again till week 7 till harvest, then just water. only till harvest. Only thing I taste is the natural taste of the weed. Very smooth !!
    SeymoreNugget, LEDBud liked this post

https://www.420magazine.com/forums/j...82-slowpuffers[URL="http://www.420magazine.com/forums/journals-in-progress/294365-4-strains-630w-lec-cmh.html"]4 Strains - 630W LEC CMH
    https://www.420magazine.com/forums/Slowpuffers Sea of Green in coco- in 2 liter bottles

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the process of flushing my soil right now. 2 weeks of just Overdrive, 1 week/3x Flawless finish and 1 week/3-4x pure water on an already deficient plant should be good. On another plant i only used Flawless finish one time as a soil drench and then 3 weeks of just water. Very smooth amd tasty smoke even when quickdried in the oven...Hopefully the extended flushing on the last plant is resulting in an even better taste.
    LEDBud liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheFertilizer View Post

LEDBud, I just read your journal, you're using Pro-Mix and coco? That's soil-less.

Hey Fertilizer , I used Pro mix and Coco in the first two journals and water culture in the current journal , Remo nutrients sterile rdwc.

Where much confusion comes from is with people mixing up the mid grow soil flush with the end of flower plant flush.

So for simplicity sake , people flush the soil in grow mode to clear excess nutrients from the soil itself and flush the plant toward the end of its life / flower mode to clarify the plant material of any excess nutrients.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Continuation of flush results in rdwc

Flavor test using a Arizer Air vaporizer

Day 8 ~ tasted flushed out and flavorful

Day 13 ~ similar to Day 8 with a bit more flavor

Still smoking on Day 13 bud will know about the full flush with cure in about two weeks , the plants have been Cut down , trimmed and hung up to dry in the tent.

Flush duration 15 days in dwc and both Coco's stayed fairly green but did pale , the Bubblegums showed more yellowing with the larger one the most.

The reason they stayed green was because both the Indica and sativa plants shared the same nutrient tank , with the Sativa's being fed the Indica's somewhat stronger diet.

That combined with getting a late start on the flush with the Sativa's being the more mature of the two.

When the flush is started too late the plants will not have the need or time to consume *all* of its stored nitrogen and will stay green.

Its all in the timing

With that said the 15 day flushed green Coco taste real clean even before the cure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TheFertilizer liked this post

Summer of 2017 Cannabis will be legalized in Canada

completed 2x Indicas LED panels cooltubes
    completed 2 Jock horror autos

In Progress - Remo Nutrients Sterile RDWC

420 Grow room sponsors
    420 Magazine sponsor lists
    420 site sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDBud View Post
    Hey Fertilizer , I used Coco in the first two journals and water culture in the current journal , Remo nutrients sterile rdwc.

I think where much confusing comes from is from people mixing up a mid grow soil flush out with the end of flower plant flush.

So for simplicity remember people flush the soil in grow mode and the plant toward the end of flower mode.
    That's why I prefer calling it leaching. It's also a more recognizable agricultural/horticultural term.
    Leaching (agriculture) - Wikipedia

Did you know "scrog" nets are actually called trellis nets?

We gotta stop making up words.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a term that cannabis specific indoor growers use and share with newbies.

You will bend your understanding not vice versa silly bean !

I'm bent and so shall you be lol

Post Thanks / Like

Did you say trellis netting ? ( I call it that as well )

It makes for a great instant drying station

The flushed Bud in question hanging around a 6 ft x 9 ft circumference of trellis netting

For easy record keeping each of the four sides has one plant on it

Post Thanks / Like

Wait, wait, wait. I'm on my first grow and I'm reading about flushing. What I don't understand is that if you give the plant no nutrients, why it would use up more nutrients it already has when you're not giving it as much. What about something completely organic? What if you just didn't use any nutrients at all? I know the plant itself can withstand more nutrients than most plants, however it will still grow. It's not like the most delicate plant in the world. Just because you grew with just a high quality water alone, doesn't mean that it will show signs of nutrient deficiency for every element. I think the majority factors are environment (temperature, wind, media, humidity, light, and air quality), water quality (ph, ppm, and whatever trace metals from tap water) and training techniques.

Second, just because your ppm is a couple hundred at the roots, in no way shape or form means the same for the plant itself. 100 ppm at the roots can equal to 10,000 ppm in the plant. If you feed the plant for 87.5% of it's life to gain 10,000 ppm, how would feeding it only water for the last 12.5% of it's life significantly decrease this number? If the ppm at the roots suddenly changes to zero, doesn't necessarily mean the same for the plant. At the most, you would lose a couple hundred ppm in the plant, which won't all be in the buds. However, you say that if you flush, the ppm in the plant will drop, but the bud will gain a higher ppm, even though the concept is that the lower ppm concentration is what clears out the "chemical taste" or harshness causing a better quality smoke.

Lastly, flushing has been said to trade quantity for quality. If this is so, why would the bud swell if you flushed, unless you extended the flowering period or does it swell regardless? And if it does, I can guarantee that swell would be bigger if you didn't flush. All this being said, if we didn't pump our medicine with a bunch of chemicals and bi-products like canned foods and such, or at least if more natural or organic ways were used, wouldn't that eliminate this problem completely?

Not everything I said is from this site, but here's the link: To Flush or Not to Flush - Cannabis Business Times

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112