Studying Genetic Hermaphrodites

Test Piolot

Hello,

Let me preface this by saying that I am not trying to sell anything here. I have a genetic test that I use in the field that spots the Y chromosome on cannabis plants. However, my research leads me to believe that in some cases, hermies act the way they do because, like true male plants, they have a Y chromosome hidden in their genetic makeup. I would run my test on the seedlings shortly after they sprout, and identify the males. If my hunch is correct, more than the statistically expected 50% would come up as having a Y chromosome. Once the sex of the plants can be determined visually, the true males could be identified and eliminated. However, a few of the plants that came up as positive would still look female. These could then be followed to see if these are in fact the ones that turn into hermies at some point. A positive connection between the positive test for a Y chromosome and later development of hermaphrodite characteristics would help confirm this link for me.

There's no hermaphrodite in cannabis.. but I know what you mean.. it's a term we wrongly use, and I'm as guilty as anyone..

Thanks for your input. Do you mean that in the case of cannabis, what we call a hermaphrodite is not the result of the presence of a Y chromosome, but rather, is the result of changes in the plant's hormonal balance as the result of stress?

ignore what I said.. it's a splitting hairs thing, unless your intersex and are offended at the term hermaphrodite.. the true meaning of the word doesn't apply I cannabis.. its intersexual or something like that.. like with humans, trans are not herms..They go through a sex change..

Been looking for the thread/article about the intersex thing but to no luck.. might be something to do with being able to pollinate...

Back
Top Bottom