Question on data keeping for your grows?

Mswimm26

420-magazine-mobile1159290388.jpg

What do you do to keep organized, keep records (feed schedule, daily PH, Daily ppm, temps, etc)??

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

There are a couple apps. I got what appeared to be the best one - G---buddy. It makes me sign in online to use it which I don't like so I deleted it.
I have a big gardening journal/almanac - has one page for each day of the month along with a lot of other extra sections (harvest notes, etc) I figure it will last me at least five years before it's full. A Gardener's Journal — A Ten Year Chronicle of Your Garden - Lee Valley Tools

I have a set of spreadsheets I use. I track so much it's hard to quantify in a single post here. some of the things I keep that I consider most useful:

nutes sheet
- all my base nute sources
- every nute mixture I've ever concocted
- conversion data for calculating PPM values of mixtures I concoct

gardens sheets
- watering / nutes mixture used
- height / growth rate
- lighting changes
- lots of notes about what's going on

media
I take close ups every few days of every plant in every grow

The pictures I take are my most valuable resource. You can't diagnose issues without going back to see the changes over time, which you can correlate with what you've been feeding your plants.

This is done on an XL spreadsheet, you can add however many lines and columns that you need.
This is just for my nute mixes. When it comes time for any additives I just add a line for that product. This is
my master, I keep it clean so I don't have to rebuild every time.
XL does not copy to here well, no grid lines so everything looks clumped together.

Date ML/GRAM Start ppm Finish ppm EC pH
Type of water.
Cal/Magic

Epsom

A&B

Cannazym

Boost

Drip Clean
Kbloom

ML/GRAM Start ppm Finish ppm EC pH

Cal/Magic

Epsom

A&B

Cannazym

Boost

Drip Clean

I got this pretty Journal. It show 10 grows per page so you can see what you’ve done on that same day for each grow. Each book covers a year so you should be able to fit 20-40 grows in here depending what you’re into. It has planning graphs, harvest records, inventory lists, expense sheets, you name it. Old school I know but it’s all in one spot. $40 Can at LeeValley.com

ha ha. I use the same book. On my fifth year now and there's room for at least five more easily. I just write the year and the day of the week at the top of my entry in whichever calendar date I fall on - note the ppm of the feeds of the various strains and maybe a couple other notes- that's all I need to know. I almost never need to read entries again but when I do it's there to save my ass.

ha ha. I use the same book. On my fifth year now and there's room for at least five more easily. I just write the year and the day of the week at the top of my entry in whichever calendar date I fall on - note the ppm of the feeds of the various strains and maybe a couple other notes- that's all I need to know. I almost never need to read entries again but when I do it's there to save my ass.

I find the notes to be most beneficial in the first and last couple weeks. Lots of empty space in between scattered with little nuggets of info but better to have it and not need it.

I use a notebook and a word document. I use the notebook to keep nutrient amounts, pH and ppm when mixing. I use it to keep height and width on a weekly basis.

All that and personal notes and at least weekly pictures go in the main grow document. There is also a document on each plant. Weekly information is in the document to have something for future grows of that strain.

Header on each day.
Date: Day __ Week __ (V or F), Flowering Day __ Week __
It's easy to do search on the date. I also color highlight this to know when the days begin.

I just use a regular spiral note book and I include
  1. The temperature
  2. The Humidity
  3. The number of plants and the Genetics of each grow
  4. the Medium being used
  5. What kind of lights being used and the Distance between the canopy and the reflector
  6. The light cycle
  7. Nutes being used and a PPM count of mixed nutes
  8. I PH the water before and after adding nutes and PH up or PH down
  9. I also log the height of each plant
  10. I also keep the # week of the cycle I am on
  11. I note any differences I notice between the same strain plants
  12. Note any Nutrient burn or deficiency and what you did to correct it
  13. The Date
  14. Additives and how much
  15. Pictures to correspond with the Date

What do you do to keep organized, keep records (feed schedule, daily PH, Daily ppm, temps, etc)??

I just use my 420mag journal mostly. Individual strain info i have a little booklet i right stuff down in :D

When I started growing, I used the default notes application on my iPhone. It let me incorporate photos and take notes, was on-device (private), and was just sitting there waiting for me to use it; my paper journaling for the vegetable garden didn't let me import photos :oops:

Then I moved to the WeGrow app. It had a lot of the features I needed and really helped me get in to a journaling habit. There are some features I don't like about it (that whole ELLE grow a.i. stuff) - but it was so close and covered most things - and allowed entries at any day or time, even multiples per day.

The GrowDiaries website and apps work pretty well too, have some nice features, but only allow weekly updates. Decent but not quite there yet.

Currently I use a private fork/build of the Google Science Journal app that I've customized. It doesn't require me to log in to anything (which is important to me). It's not tailored for growing per se, but I like many things about it and they're continually adding support for new sensors and hardware.

Hope this helps someone reading this, even years after the OP.

I just use a regular spiral note book and I include
  1. The temperature
  2. The Humidity
  3. The number of plants and the Genetics of each grow
  4. the Medium being used
  5. What kind of lights being used and the Distance between the canopy and the reflector
  6. The light cycle
  7. Nutes being used and a PPM count of mixed nutes
  8. I PH the water before and after adding nutes and PH up or PH down
  9. I also log the height of each plant
  10. I also keep the # week of the cycle I am on
  11. I note any differences I notice between the same strain plants
  12. Note any Nutrient burn or deficiency and what you did to correct it
  13. The Date
  14. Additives and how much
  15. Pictures to correspond with the Date
Your PHing your water BEFORE you add your nutes? Your wasting materials and space for more nutrients, you should always PH after your nutes, generally adding calmag first, then your micros then PH last as everything else effects ph a good amount

In order of addition,
Epsom, CaliMagic, Base nutes, additives, let it stabilize for 12 to 24 hours then pH.

I have a 30 gallon mixing container and a 27 gallon rez (only add 20 gallons at a time). I mix 20 gallon usually 24 to 36 hours prior to adding to my rez and once in the rez is when I pH. I get pH drift upwards, if I pH, say an hour prior to nights cycles, @ 5.8 the pH will rise to 5.95 to 6.0 by the time to pH again the next night. I like this.

Back
Top Bottom