My San Diego backyard is a laboratory

Oldgrowth

I grow cannabis as much for learning as for product in San Diego's benign climate. It's a benefit of retirement. This year the variables are (1) planting from peat pots directly in the soil v transplanting to a bigger pot until the seedling is bigger; (2) strain - hk v ogk; (3) growing in the soil v. in a large container; (4) a single stem v a double from a single seed (both hk). Granted the number are not large enough for a true experiment, but observing the daily growth offers some good info that I'll use for next year's grow. If anyone's interested I'll report back after the harvest in October.

Peat pots are a little weird for growing. If you go from peat pot into the final plastic pot (or ground) it should be fine, but if you're going to up-pot at any point be aware that peat pots can make up-potting tricky. Basically, the roots easily grow out the bottom but not so much on the sides. So what can happen when you up-pot is part of the soil from higher up (about the top third) can just fall off because the roots go down but not so much to the sides so there's no roots higher up to hold the soil in place. Not a big problem but just be aware that chunks of soil can fall off.

Back
Top Bottom