Bucket drainage methods

Red0ctober

So in DWC, if you're plants are in a SCROG or if you have a system where multiple buckets are chained together and you cannot remove an individual one to swap out with a fresh one, there must be a way to install a drain with a valve. Now most setups that use tubing to connect buckets have the inlets or outlets in the side of the bucket near the bottom which would allow it to drain most of the way but there would still be an inch or two of water stuck there. The most common solution I've seen is for people to refill and drain the bucket with clean water several times until the ppm's come way down, and that last bit gets flushed out. Well this is just plain annoying and not really feasible for larger setups.

I've done a bunch of searching, and to date have not found anyone installing drainage valves or bulkheads in the bottoms of their buckets. Is there a reason that this wouldn't work and no one is doing it? Obviously the bucket would have to be elevated and not be able to sit on a flat surface. But would it work?

Are there any other clever drainage solutions people have come up with?

Ok number one reason is roots grow straight down. Now you could make a drain on bottom like I did but you have to make a false floor to try and keep roots out. What I did was just cut about two inch up from the bottom of bucket off and then drill holes on the side where my drain is not going to be then slide it upside down in my growing bucket. That 2" holds the root filter off the bottom of bucket :) other then that thats why most people do not have drain on bottom of buckets. My way takes more work to make but works..

Leaks will be a problem sometimes also. If you can't watch your grow all the time, you could come home to a gasket that couldn't hold. Use precision when installing drains. Don't let the sealant have anything harmful to your water.

I too am having this problem now,
Set my room up, nice and dialed in....how to I change my buckets under my scrog?
I really wanted to change my solution every week and give the buckets a good clean but I keep coming up against problems
People mention using a water pump and having a spare bucket to put your net pot into while cleaning, my question is this
Drain with pump =what to do with airstone when moving net pot
Swap buckets and drain manually...how to swap airstone?
Basically everything I come up with the well seems to be...how to move airstone?
Help would be great as I'm currently online shopping for pump....sorry to kinda thread jack but I figured we are helping each other

To answer your question though, water pump is the best way to drain it, the drain valve in side is awful unless your pot is at least 15" off the ground

Sorry for double post

Just google search 3/4" bulk head fittings. I put the fitting in the bottom of the bucket. You will need to have the bucket 4" or so off the ground to allow the proper plumbing under it. Then you can attach what ever plumbing on the outside. This can be plumbed to a drain or to a pump. You won't need to move your plants or any other equipment t to change your res.

I can't lift my bucket anymore,my scrog buckets have been set and cannot be moved up or down

May just do that, I have just seen a hand siphon pump on amazon for £5 so might invest into that I'm thinking, I never thought a bubbler under a scrog would be so difficult to clean.

Hi Hiddenkoncept

I had the same problems, so I came up with a simple solution. Search around for some cheap fish or aquarium submersible pump approx. 160 gal/hr, usually can find for less than 10.00 bucks and install one in each bucket with hose out, to drain or to waste bucket. I know this really works great, all you have to do is plug in the pump and connect to waste bucket or drain, 5 min later your are done, just refill, and you can do the refill with another pump in the nute refill bucket, this is if no access to the bucket top. I have since built a RDWC system with pump out pump that works the same way. mdelio

I bought one of these and it CHANGED MY LIFE.

71KDaDLmCQL_SL1500_1.jpg

I pump the water from the top. I put a pvc pipe in the bucket running all the way to the bottom. I drilled a bunch very small holes no higher than a half inch from the bottom. I then took one of those filter bags you get with water pumps and tied it around it. I also glued my air stone close to the other side. I use this bucket and lid when I do a scrog. I also raise the other side of the bucket a quarter inch with a spacer and it stays this way the entire grow. I get almost all the water our and it hasn't clogged on me yet.

To me drilling a whole in the bucket is inviting a leak. Even really nice store bought systems can have a gasket failure that can do a lot of damage to your plants or worse your house..

i use tubing to syphon the water out, mix new water in clean bucket and syphon it back to my ladies.
hand pump syphon for gas works too.

Solo, You might find a few ideas in my waterfarm modification thread.... I've used WF grommets and barb fittings for years and never had one leak from a hole i drilled... I also don't use submerged electric water pumps... I use an air pump to circulate the reservoir and run the drip rings... At reservoir change time i run tubing outside and let gravity drain the system..

Back
Top Bottom