How do I keep res. temps down?

madmarv0525

I recently covered my 5 gal bucket in foil tape and have been putting frozen h2o bottles in there but I need to find something to work for a longer time without changing bottles.

You need a water chiller connected to your res.

But this answer is only addressing your immediate issue ... "How to keep your res temps down."
I don't use a chiller. I just added an A/C that I got off craigslist for $50. with digital temp display. My res temp gets up to 25 deg C, but I use Orca (?I think), which is a beneficial microbial enzyme to keep nasties under control.
Chillers can be very expensive and to me, don't seem like a practical use of energy for dollars spent. (You'll see what I mean when you do a little research.)

However, I first address ambient temperatures, chemical additives then circulation or movement. Water itself is used for cooling because of it's physical properties as a poor conductor of heat. Flowing water will give up or take on heat (to the plumbing, pumps, buckets, bubbling air, etc.) depending on the difference in the ambient temperatures. My room max temp. is set to 26 deg C.

Mad marv,
Having struggled with res temps ,( i live in the sub tropics) the best advice is definitely a chiller. I have tried frozen water bottles, hillbilly chillers etc, and the best method is buy yourself a chiller full stop. Oversize it in relation to your reservoir and consider your ambient temps. You won't be disappointed. My chiller cost me 4 hundred dollars, money well spent.

Spoken like a man with an extra $400 to spend.... Hell everyone knows a chiller would be the best choice. But thanks for pointing that out... it's been 105-114*f for the past 17 days.... [See your sub-tropic and raise you one Death Valley, 55 miles...] Using insulated containers and insulated lines keeps my temps between 63-69*f, using 4 frozen qt. water bottles a day. 5 bottles on a really hot day. Frozen water bottles gives us hillbilly's something to do....... I realize that's not going to impress anybody who owns a chiller, but done right, it will work....... Like most of us struggling with temps, I'll switch to a chiller when i can afford one, but i'll keep the insulated containers......

You guys ever checked Swamp Coolers? hardly uses power and to build a small one for a tent or small room would be very easy. There are several videos in Youtube. Just type swamp cooler or evaporative cooler. I will be building a small one in the next 2 - 3 weeks for a 3' by 6' by 8' grow room. Here in Puerto Rico is very hot all year.

Ac units are just modified versions of dehumidifiers + aquarium chillers. Components are just placed differently, you could take the condenser cooling radiator directly into ya res and dial it up.
Edit: autocorrect changed res to red...

Or you could create a thermoelectric peltier cooling block attached to a thermostat to power on when needed.

Careful with the peltier though, can cool too much/fast if not dialed in right

Back
Top Bottom