1st Hydro Grow - What do you guys think?

SenorVerde23

What's up everyone, so this is my first hydro grow. I am growing a super silver haze from Nirvanashop.com. I am using a 5 gallon bucket dwc. I have a 6 in air disc air stone. I am using an activeaqua air pump(only pumps 15lph ehh but its a start)with all four hoses connecting to a 3/8 line to the air disc. I will be adding another bucket in about a week or so. I have one fan as of right now. I am using general hydropontics nutes. as well as the veg booster from GH. I have the flower booster which I will use. I am also using hydroguard and cal mag in my nutes. I have FIMed once. I am using 4 23w 1600 lumens cfls which I am running 18/6. I built a light fixture that has 6 sockets and I will eventually have it on. She is on her 3rd week of veg. I have her in my closet for right now since in my house the temp is a constant 75 f degrees. I will be moving her soon to my grow closet where she will have plenty of space. I am planning on having her in veg for 6-7 more weeks.

Sounds like you're pretty on top of everything, assuming you're keeping the pH and PPM correct. I was reminded recently that a plant will grow 40-50% during the bloom cycle so you may want to take that into account before you veg for 10 weeks unless you have really high ceilings.
Keep rockin it!

yea I forgot to write I check my ph level every day and it has been a constant 5.8. I just purchased a tds meter so just waiting for that. I have 7 feet in height available for this grow. hehehehe space wasn't an issues.

IMG_069430.JPG

View image in gallery

Lookin pretty healthy. I usually dilute my gh solution in veg by about 50-75% (25% full strength fuel/75% water). I would dilute by at least 50% or so if you aren't using a meter.

Looking good bro, if you twist her up vegging that long shouldn't be an issue if you can keep the lights close so there isn't much of a stretch at flip. I veg a long time too my first round vegged for 2 months then I have 2 replacing 4 when they come out because I'll have vegged those two for 3 months. I'm assuming thats the only reason my stems aren't bending from bud weight. Keep it up I'll be keeping track

They look pretty healthy overall but it looks like they might be showing the slightest signs of nutrient burn. Are you keeping track of PPM's?

I have not. I am not 100% sure on how to do the measurements for Ppm. I have a tds reader. But still trying to figure out the calculations. Do you have any advice on where to find more info on the ppm.? Update just added my new light system that I built. I'm using 6 6.5k cfls and 2 5k cfls. They are all 23 watts so that 224 watts on my plant.

TDS(total dissolved solvents) is another way of saying PPM(parts per million) but TDS, in my opinion, is alot more descriptive of what it's actually measuring although it's the same number (anywhere between 200[for rooted clones]-1200 or even 1400[for huge plants] is about the best range). EC(Electric current) is yet another way of measuring solvents in a solution, however EC will be a decidedly different number than PPM/TDS (The best range, in terms of EC, is between 0.4 - 2.8). There are about 10 other ways to measure and notate dissolved solvents, so, unless you aspire to be a professional chemist, I would only worry about one.

It's always best to start with a very low PPM and work your way up over a couple weeks until you get the hang of how much a plant of a certain size (and under your specific type of light and amount of light) will need. My favorite range for mid veg through the end of bloom is about 350-550ppm, but I know some people that run 1100ppm through the same time periods so it really depends on alot of factors like the ones I mentioned above as well as the size of the root ball, amount of foliage, age of plant, heat, humidity, health, ect.

Update. Week 7. Ppm has been tested everyday since last week. It is at 1040 ppm as of today. I also started diluting the nute mix and I can say it def made a difference. I just finished building my ScROg but have yet to put it. I would like for my plant to get taller before I put the ScrOg but if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. It does look like the nute burn didn't do much damage as she is getting better. Thanks in advance guys.
image27593.jpg
image27595.jpg

Nice! That new growth definitely looks healthy. :thumb:

Update. Week 8 veg. She is getting really big and lots of leaves. I have the ppm at 1250. Temp at 78f. Just refilled the nutes yesterday and trimmed the day before that. I added a new vornado air circulator. Has kept the temp really good and constant. Ph was 5.7 today. I started my ScrOg but I am scared I started too late but I was thinking about vegging for 2 more weeks and see if I can fill up the ScrOg. I have been using the 3-2-1 method for veg. I also order a 600w ballast and hps and mh bulbs and with a light reflector. It should get here on Monday. She looks really healthy. I have not notice any nute burn anymore. Thanks for checking my grow out.
image27997.jpg
image27996.jpg

Update week 8 day 4 of veg. So I received my 600w ballast and mh bulb and hps bulb. I have added another fan. A vornado actually. It's an air circulator and does a great job. I am trying to decide how big to order my tent. If you guys have any input I'd appreciate. I have noticed that my res is about half ways. So in 2 days I will change it. I am still planning to hit 10 weeks of veg. So far I think I have been pruning at the correct times because the small growth seems to have caught up to the bigger ones. I have trimmed about 65 grams throughout the week and a half. I am running the ballast at 50% so 300w I'm assuming. I am going to order a killawatt this week. I will be going to get an exhaust fan and some duct. I was thinking about adding a breaker on ther outlet that I am using. I am also thinking about adding another fan to keep the temp down. So far it's been 84F. I have been misting her everying 3 hours as well. If you guys have any advice I'd appreciate it.
image28092.jpg
image28091.jpg

Looking real nice. I would be think you would want a 4x4 tent. The 600w in a 3x3 is a little much. 30 to 50w per sqf is a good range for tent light sizing.

Back
Top Bottom