Tub or buckets?

Bobby Blunt

Which is a better way of doing DWC, in a tub or a bucket. I'v seen people doing the buckets but not too many on the tubs. I'm leaning more toward the tub, I have a 10gal; 19"L x 13"W x 13"h, filled up to 1/2" inside the bottom of one of three, 3-3/4" net cup's, it takes 8-1/2 gal's. I'm thinking I should at least be able to grow two auto flowers or small indies in one tub, the most that would be put in there would be three plants. It should be enough room and be stable to carry the fem's to a 8wk. veg. and 8wk flower and not cramp each other up (root's in the tub). Water change and nutes would be done once a week instead of twice for each bucket. The only challenge I see is figuring out how much fertilizer to give, your feeding two plants instead of one, any thought's.

Thanks.

Tubs work best if your running clones.Because they will all like the same thing. Buckets are easier to deal with and move around if your doing different stains at the same time.

They both will work well if you keep an eye on your nutes and PPM.

I run a perpetual and buckets work well for that.

A good meter will make it much easier to know what is going on with them.

Tubs work best if your running clones.Because they will all like the same thing. Buckets are easier to deal with and move around if your doing different stains at the same time.

They both will work well if you keep an eye on your nutes and PPM.

I run a perpetual and buckets work well for that.

A good meter will make it much easier to know what is going on with them.

Thanks,
That helped a lot, what I will be using the tub, (10gal) with three holes and 3 3/4" cup's for, is Auto-flowers of different strains but the finish dates will be the same. I've read the average mature "AF" only grows to be 70cm, a tall one can get as big as 120cm which is just shy of 4ft. and some of them grow out like x'mas trees "spread out" my only challenges are, 1. will the roots of these plants cause proplems for each other being in that one tub and 2. how much to feed them, should I base it on the tub size only or should I take into account the number of plants in the tub. I will be using advanced nutes from start to finish so at least I know they'll be fed well and I do use meters, "1st grow pains mean 2nd grow gains".

(1. will the roots of these plants cause proplems for each other being in that one tub) Should be ok with auto's. Just keep an I on the water levels.

2 (how much to feed them) You should start out at a 1/2 or 1/3 of what they say on the package and then slow more up if they look pale.

I start out around 450ppm and slowly go up to just under 1000ppm in flower. You always mix for the water that will be in the tub.

You will be much more likely to over feed then under.

I also put Z7 Water treatment and Hydrogaurd in my water to keep away bad things likr root rot and to keep everything clean.

Good Luck to You!!

Great,
I do have trouble understanding ppm's, my first grow is in soil or anywhere else :high-five:, I used 2ml of Cal Mag and 1/4 tsp of Fox Farm Grow Big 6-4-4. the plants are like 2wks. old. I came up with a 938 ppm at 6.5 ph for a gal. I was reading that if you kept your ppm under 1000 you were OK, guess not. How do you adjust for your ppm, once you add your nutes to the water and get your ph.

You will need to get a ppm tester, one can be purchased on amazon but make sure you get a calibrating solution to make sure it's reading accurately. You'll also need to match solution type to style of meter. They have conductivity and total dissolved solids (tds). The tds are cheaper. You use the ppm meter to adjust your nutrient dosage to the volume of water in your tub. As far as incremental adjustments you will be better served by the advice of some of the more seasoned growers. Look around and send some pm's to the guys that seem to have their shit straight. They're pretty cool about answering questions.

Knowledge and experience are 2 different things. Strive for both and share it with others.

Back
Top Bottom