Thread: 1st attempt at DWC hydro but

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st attempt at DWC hydro but

Killer roots start with great white 

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App
    Lazarus13 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update- not so good in dwc ville! Main problem plant has just gotten worse. It does seem have been trying to grow some roots so I am hoping it is just being dramatic and she comes around.

The others also seem to have worsened in the top end too. Just seems like lockout or burn- I really don't know. I would say nitrogen issue but I use calmag with my nutes and ppm is still around 600 (80 prior to nutes) and ph is just shy of 6- all looks good to me.
    I haven't added any nutes for several days as it doesn't appear to need any. Ask, while the tops are looking worse, each seem to finally be rooting. A couple had already started.

I guess my question is I understood you can get like 2 inches a day (great day) going hydro but my soil girls are growing much better and faster.

Thoughts?
    And this is the baby. Was looking good until yesterday. I feel like she has too much water so I'm trying to dry her out.

Sent from mikeytv

Post Thanks / Like

1st attempt at DWC hydro but

So Mike can we c a picture of of your roots also what your Rez temp and what r u using for nutes and how r u mixing what's your over all ppm and how is your ph stable or is all over the place

Post Thanks / Like

Also how much air do u have in that big ass tote that's really important also how far from your net pots is the water in your Rez and have u checked the ph of the stones u have on your plants and what type of stone. It's known that different types of stones have different effects on ph because they r basically minerals some good some bad u will have to figure this out I order to have a successful grow

Post Thanks / Like

Let me get you what I do know off hand-
    Nutes - general hydro
    I am doing a 1-2-.5 of the three bottles with a 1 of cal mag in addition. All of this is at 1/4 strength per gallon or at worst 1/3.
    My ph has been lingering near 6 for a couple days which is awesome that I'm not chasing it down every day. Have to check temp.
    I will say, ppm has risen in the past couple days too.
    Was near 550 how nearing 700. No additional nutes just daily checks of ph and ppm.
    Not sure what's up but leaving it alone until they drop.
    Overall I'm getting color back which makes me smile! And I do think it correlate with the root growth.
    Water is kind of spitting in the net pots but with longer roots- they are in or on water. Can't really adjust until all plants have established themselves.
    As for air- running 2 10 inch air stones running off pump for 30-60 gallons. Seems effective but can always add more.
    Stones are just river rocks- washed. I was seeing some issues with the rockwool so I wanted a little less condensed moisture on the plants- so far so good but never checked their ph.

Sent from mikeytv

Post Thanks / Like

I have been wondering about net pot size. Does size really matter as long as roots can pass through and pot can support weight or plant. I figure as long as you have the right water and nutes- size doesn't really matter. Just wondering.

Sent from mikeytv

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also using general hydroponics flora series master kit my over ppm is 650-700 so that's not for off o my setup now the ph seams right on only strange thing is your ppm going up usually they go down how often do u have to replace water I'm going through a gallon every 4 days have u tries rapid rooter by general hydroponics it really helped me through my first half of my grow

Post Thanks / Like

I have not had to top off yet. Maybe that's why they are more fully developing their roots. Where would be optimal distance to pot if roots are fully developed?

Sent from mikeytv

Post Thanks / Like

I have some powder rapid rooter. Could that work? Also, should I even if the girls are getting on track.

Regarding ppm- possible I wasn't fully in the water on first test. I will keep track on this but I'm not worried since plants look healthier every day.

Sent from mikeytv
    Icemann420, wellwaters liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

1st attempt at DWC hydro but

Rock wool is tricky because it holds moisture to wet and it will damp your plant in half to dry and dead also I like to keep tops dry and bottoms moist by allowing the air pump to kinda splash the bottom of the net pot and I also use hydrotin Clay it also acts as a wick and it pulls the splashing to my rockwool but ph is really impotent I tend to start at the 5.8 mark then over a week it drifts to 6.2 then it's Rez change time I start with reverse osmosis water add all my mixes micro first always. Hope u know that after my 3 parts I do cal-mag then the rest of my additives and a sprinkle of great white and I haven't hade a issue so far

Mikeytv liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Once she is really healthy it will kick off well from my experience a sick plant won't do anything u want of it till she is better but as I always say a happy plant starts at the roots good luck keep me posted and yes powdered will work and I use root hormone through out the whole grow except for flush. Your roots can't ever b to healthy

Mikeytv liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, have some updates.
    Temps around 74.
    Ph is at or under 6. I have the color chart but it's good and under control. Seems I only have to adjust maybe 3 days.
    Roots are thriving but I'm not really loosing much or any noticeable water but maybe it's just not long enough. I have one plant that has one single root. Not seeing much of anything happen but she is strong or a one root, been through the ringer, girl.
    I also have a basil plant in there. Is that ok? Really like basil!
    So, all but one roots are thriving. Ppm is around 700 tested after adding a little so seems plants are using them.

That's single toothed Sadie- she is the one with the one single root. But she is improving everyday and I'm hopeful time will turn her around.

Just pics of overall and the top back left, top right and bottom right.
    All really growing fast but here is questions.
    One is still pushing out pistils. She is a clone but the others seems to officially have switched back to veg.
    As you van see they are mostly if not all clones- have to check again! Lol
    So I'm trying to keep them bent over and branch stressed but I'm not guessing you can really manifold a clone because of its grow pattern of zig zagging buds. Any suggestions on pruning and mainlining would be appreciated. I also fimmed a little.

Thanks!

Sent from mikeytv

Post Thanks / Like

They sure are looking much better.

At this point I would just maintain what your doing for another week and let them really take hold.

They should start to fill in and start to drink a little more over the next week.
    Mikeytv, Icemann420 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow looking really good from last week keep it up And b4 u know it they will b huge

Mikeytv liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks you guys. They have improved. I have to get a couple shots of the roots. Very major improvement in just a few days in regards to the roots.
    So, any suggestions on pruning and maximizing yield. It's not my only goal (for my first dwc) but Still would like to see how much I can yield. I was wondering if they could complete flower as they are positioned- 5 in a ten gallon tote- if I can maintain nutes and levels and all that. Will roots simply run out of space? Or better would it be best to move to 5 gallon buckets dwc or 5 Gallon fabric pots with soil or coco. I know I have time, just thinking ahead.

Sent from mikeytv

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast