Newbie question

partypimp83

Ok so I have some experience in soil grow but this is my first grow in a dwc.
I have a 12gal. tote with 3 airstones(i think 12in) in it.
I think my strain is northern lights #9 but I may be wrong on that i mixed up a few seeds.
I cloned the current plant in an aeroponic setup, but have moved it to the dwc.
it is under a california lightworks 220 full cycle.
I am using AN micro grow bloom.

My questions largely involve nutes. First off I'm using RO as the bottle instructs do i need to add a cal/mag supplement to my regiment or do the AN nutes contain it already?
Next i followed the seedling/fresh clone suggested dosage(came out to be about 170ppm) of the micro and grow, but when i try to use the AN calculator they have online I don't get what seems like a reasonable feeding schedule. Does anyone with experience have some practical guidelines to a feeding schedule?
thanks for any help.

Welcome.

Yes you will need to add Cal/Mag or an equivalent if you are using RO water.

I use General Hydroponics Flora Series and I also find they're online calculator frustrating. Try some Youtube videos on feeding with AN products, you'll soon get a feel for whats right.

If your filters are good your RO water should have a ppm reading of near 0. Use your Ca/Mg to bring your ppm's up to about 200 ppm or so. Always add the Ca/Mg before any other nutrients. Ca/Mg then Micro then Gro then Bloom.

i'll have my first water change in a day or two and will adjust then. I will slightly up the micro and grow, add some bloom(probably start real slow) and cal mag it first. any other suggestions? BTW Rifleman with the AN nutes has the ph been easy to maintain? I'm working off strips for ph right now but could upgrade if it seemed important.

i'll have my first water change in a day or two and will adjust then. I will slightly up the micro and grow, add some bloom(probably start real slow) and cal mag it first. any other suggestions? BTW Rifleman with the AN nutes has the ph been easy to maintain? I'm working off strips for ph right now but could upgrade if it seemed important.

I've ignored the pH for well over a year until my dark devils began to scream calcium deficiency. If you have a mind that can ignore the oddly high reading but general good growth, then don't worry. If you're a little OCD and want to keep up with and adjust pH, buy the best pen you can afford. I've used several of the cheap yellow or red ones, but this Blue Lab Pen ($76US) blows them away.

I have had 2 of the cheap yellow pens and they are really bad. My first one I had to calibrate every feed. The second the dam thing fell apart. I now have essentials which is really good and half the price of the blue lab which I'm sure is awesome.

Sent from my SM-N910F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I've had issues with AN as I'm using tap water. The nutes were unable to bring the PH below 6.2 giving problems. Try and adjust with usual methods and it gets really interesting...couple hours go by....bam back to 6.2. I do use the A & B nutes tho. I'm on Dutch pro at the min. Base nutes are week but so far so good. 3 weeks in Veg

The nutes shouldn't affect your PH, they are most likely buffered. You'll need PH Down for that and then add it to the water first.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I've had issues with AN as I'm using tap water. The nutes were unable to bring the PH below 6.2 giving problems. Try and adjust with usual methods and it gets really interesting...couple hours go by....bam back to 6.2. I do use the A & B nutes tho. I'm on Dutch pro at the min. Base nutes are week but so far so good. 3 weeks in Veg

First of all, :welcome: to 420Mag AV. :ciao: My tap water starts off at 8.2pH. Since getting my Blue Lab Pen last week I've noticed that AN only gets me down to 6.1. Several emails back and forth with AN support and the results, if I read between the lines correctly are (straight answers are hard to get)... 1 you have to use the full dosage to insure pH being low enough(i dont, not even close). 2. don't worry if it doesn't get low enough the nutrients are still available(no they arent) 3. yes you can adjust AN pH Perfect if you want to, it'll be fine.(well yes, if fine means pH will still rebound up twice as fast)

I'll be checking pH daily this week to see if adjusting to 5.8 during the water change this morning made a difference. I expect it won't. Doesn't matter as my DDA are almost done and I will accept a cal def over chasing pH. I am the original lazy grower. :)

Yes thanks rifleman. Been lurking for a while. Enjoy your work!

I had an episode where the enzymes in AN hit a buffer where they can no longer self adjust and the ph takes a big jump down due to me manually adjusting and then jump from 5.8 to 3.5. I have loads of AN Base nutes that for now I can't use with any confidence. RO is a pain in the arse and I thought AN was the solution. Maybe my new res wasn't helping it or something Nevermind.

Keep up the good work.

Google Lucas grow method. He doesn't use any gro. Saving money. Micro has everything in it that gro does. Also google k.i.s.s. Method. They use only maxi bloom for entire grow.
Just thought you might find it interesting.

I don't know everything. My opinion is just that. It's up to you to research the information offered by me or anyone else. It's not wise to act on the first opinion you get.

I got blue lab pen. Much much better than cheap ones and gets temp. Easy calibration with premade bottled solution from blue lab. Amazon it's like 110 $$ for kcl storage, ph 7, ph 4 solutions and pen

Sent from my iPhone using 420

I have had 2 of the cheap yellow pens and they are really bad. My first one I had to calibrate every feed. The second the dam thing fell apart. I now have essentials which is really good and half the price of the blue lab which I'm sure is awesome.

I had two cheap ones. One broke the glas electrode in my solution and one fell apart also. I used Amazon Asurion protection plan and got refund on them.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Back
Top Bottom