Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Another noob grow!

Post Thanks / Like

Another noob grow!

The roots. Not too proud since the seeds broke ground Feb 10th...ish. Been a very long broad learning curve for me lol. I'm trying not to ask for help much. Just started using hygrozyme and hydroguard last week. Should have used it from the beginning. Yet another lesson learned... lol

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another noob grow!

I'm really proud of this gem though. Liberty Haze from Barney's farm. She was the best one. Gave the rest to a friend to grow. Topped her a few times. She's got 14 tops now. Gonna keep her in coco and see how it goes

Got a clone of cotton candy as well.

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by defectndesign View Post
    I'm a little torn on the drip rings. There's some benefits but I see more people without them having better results. I think with the larger basket and drip rings constantly running, the roots dont search as hard for water. Therefor they don't make it to the res to build a mass. And when you start with drip rings you need to end with them. I had a clone in the begging that started to build roots in the res so I took the ring out. Big mistake! Ended up tossing her due to root rot. Luckily she was in her own bucket and not cycled with the rest. I could have brought her back but but needed the room for the two up and comers.
    That's exactly the level I keep my water too. Ended up and air stones to the buckets. The drip ring bubbles the water in the res but they're big bubbles. I wanted air defused more. Made a big difference. I can see the roots starting to crowd the stone
    Thanks for the info...much appreciated. I was going to get those rings before I started this grow. Just never got around to buying them.

I ended up drilling two small holes at the top of my buckets to feed the air and water lines in. I then zip-tied my air stones to the center-bottom of the baskets...to hang about 3+" below it. They have been running 24/7, both the water pump and the air from the beginning, even before the roots found the water. I run RDWC because I run a chiller...so the pump has to keep going to circulate the water to keep an even temp.
    defectndesign thanked you for this post
    defectndesign, TheFrizz, bignugz420 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalHomeGro View Post
    Thanks for the info...much appreciated. I was going to get those rings before I started this grow. Just never got around to buying them.

I ended up drilling two small holes at the top of my buckets to feed the air and water lines in. I then zip-tied my air stones to the center-bottom of the baskets...to hang about 3+" below it. They have been running 24/7, both the water pump and the air from the beginning, even before the roots found the water. I run RDWC because I run a chiller...so the pump has to keep going to circulate the water to keep an even temp.
    You're welcome. A chiller would probably help me too but I'm runnin out of circuits lol. I can keep all 5 pots at 68-71 now that I started covering the water lines and got the air stones. Was looking at maybe adding a peltier chiller but I'm not sure it'll be enough for 10+gal of water
    TheFrizz, NorCalHomeGro liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome. A chiller would probably help me too but I'm runnin out of circuits lol. I can keep all 5 pots at 68-71 now that I started covering the water lines and got the air stones. Was looking at maybe adding a peltier chiller but I'm not sure it'll be enough for 10+gal of water
    I'd highly recommend using a chiller. The AMP draw isn't bad either since it doesn't run 24/7. The 1/10hp ActiveAqua unit is more than enough for 10 gallons @68'.

Post Thanks / Like

From an economical standpoint, you will get a lot more bang for your buck from the Hydroguard or Great White ($20) compared to a chiller ($200-400). Your plants will benefit exponentially more from adding the friendly bacteria than the difference that a few degrees of temperature drop would make. If your water was in the high 70s or 80s I would say definitely get a chiller, but 68-71 with bennies added sounds perfectly fine to me!

*if you do decide to get a chiller anyways, the 1/10 HP model recommended by Latitude is just the right size for your setup

In Progress: Medical Grow for Mom- VC/DC, CBD Therapy, Northern Lights

Terminated: Girl Scout Cookie Autos in RDWC- A Defoliation Experiment!

Completed: Blue Dream-4 plants/64 main colas, 1000w HPS, DWC, 4x4 grow tent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheFrizz View Post
    From an economical standpoint, you will get a lot more bang for your buck from the Hydroguard or Great White ($20) compared to a chiller ($200-400). Your plants will benefit exponentially more from adding the friendly bacteria than the difference that a few degrees of temperature drop would make. If your water was in the high 70s or 80s I would say definitely get a chiller, but 68-71 with bennies added sounds perfectly fine to me!

*if you do decide to get a chiller anyways, the 1/10 HP model recommended by Latitude is just the right size for your setup
    To be fair - I just copied from Frizz It was the perfect solution to my constant 84' water temps.
    defectndesign, TheFrizz thanked you for this post
    TheFrizz, defectndesign liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Latitude17 View Post
    To be fair - I just copied from Frizz It was the perfect solution to my constant 84' water temps.
    Hehe, just reading that phrase "84' water temps" brought back my uhm, PTSD regarding growing in an upstairs bedroom without a chiller or AC last summer.... Never again!!

DnD I think you will be fine for now if temps stay below 72 ish without one. But maybe as summer approaches it would be good to consider that ambient temps in your grow room will rise, so it could be good to invest in a chiller in the long run depending on your climate.
    defectndesign liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe, just reading that phrase "84' water temps" brought back my uhm, PTSD regarding growing in an upstairs bedroom without a chiller or AC last summer.... Never again!!

DnD I think you will be fine for now if temps stay below 72 ish without one. But maybe as summer approaches it would be good to consider that ambient temps in your grow room will rise, so it could be good to invest in a chiller in the long run depending on your climate.
    Actually, my basement is fully finished and heated. The wife likes it at 70 but I've been able to make a compromise for 68. I've covered and closed the the heaters but it still gets warm. Once I'm able to get my central ac going I can shut the door and cool the S out of the room. Humidity might be my issue in the warmer months
    TheFrizz, EBnFLO liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, my basement is fully finished and heated. The wife likes it at 70 but I've been able to make a compromise for 68. I've covered and closed the the heaters but it still gets warm. Once I'm able to get my central ac going I can shut the door and cool the S out of the room. Humidity might be my issue in the warmer months
    WAAAHHHH!!! I am quite envious, congratz on the sweet setup!! Definitely don't need a res chiller then, unless you want to use it primarily to try to force purple colors at the end of flower with really cold temps.

Post Thanks / Like

WAAAHHHH!!! I am quite envious, congratz on the sweet setup!! Definitely don't need a res chiller then, unless you want to use it primarily to try to force purple colors at the end of flower with really cold temps.
    I sorry!!! Lol
    The only way I could position the tent was near the baseboard heater. I've got 3 comforters covering the heaters behind the tent. Lol (wife has no idea. Can't find them) So I'm hoping winters will be the problem season. It's our first year in the house and it was pretty cool down here last year. Just humid.
    That's funny you say that. A friend had that happen to so headband because he left a window open a few nights here and there by accident. Got some really cool looking bud.
    TheFrizz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Three to four yeah. Looking good.
    Gauge

Gauge Steels House Warming Party. COB - Cookies and Kush, Hydro Downstairs, all Welcome
    Come visit the Hempy Headquarters
    How to Grow Marijuana - Everything You Need to Know
    1st Grow GC - DWC - LED- Indoor 2017- Completed

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think humidity will be a problem in the summer if you're running AC. One of the actions of an AC evaporative coil is to pull humidity out of the air, which is why your AC has a drip pan than drains to waste.
    defectndesign, bignugz420 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Saibot View Post
    I don't think humidity will be a problem in the summer if you're running AC. One of the actions of an AC evaporative coil is to pull humidity out of the air, which is why your AC has a drip pan than drains to waste.
    It can get up to 75-80% relative humidity. Throw the extra humidity from the plants and the fact they're in a basement, it goes up. I hope you're right and my ac will keep up

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It can get up to 75-80% relative humidity. Throw the extra humidity from the plants and the fact they're in a basement, it goes up. I hope you're right and my ac will keep up
    Sweet baby jeebus! That's high humidity. Yep... you're screwed. LOL

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast