Need help with pH fluctuation

growdaddy1

Hi everyone, I'm having problems with my ph dropping way too much.
I'm a few days from switching to a 12/12 photoperiod, I'm growing using a top fed, Dwc homemade system, GH flora trio nutrients, and calimagic at 100% levels for recirculating systems, adding floralicious plus, armor si, and hydro guard, at 50%. I'm using deionized water, and a 1000 Watt mh bulb. I have plenty of fresh air, great temps etc.
My PH falls from 6.0 to 5.0 in a 24 hour period. My understanding is that that's not acceptable. It was only dropping about .3-.4 a day until I got a ppm meter and decided I was Using too many nutrients. I lowered the nutes to 75% and my ph problems got worse. Then I did my normal weekly 100% water change and went back to 100% nute strength. The ph is now dropping 1.0 in a day! My plants seem happy, deep green leaves, growing steadily, no signs of nutrient burn or deficiencies.
Please help.

Sent from my VS987 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Need help with ph fluxuation

How old is your plant in weeks. I also use Dwc with general hydroponic and all the extras I'm using rockwool and hydrotun also as my Medan. How's your setup looking and the roots maybe there is a bacteria going on in the root zone causing the ph to fluctuate I know that armor si is a silicate and supposed to stop that stuff but? Maybe u r mixing your nutes wrong I know if u don't do micro first it could cause a lockout and things can go crazy give me a little info on how u mix like how u would add your products and how about a picture of your setup also please

Growing happiness world wide .

They are 7 1/2 weeks old. I'm following the gh mixing recomendations, adding armor si first, then calimagic, then everything else. I'm not seeing any root problems. They're white with hairs and plentiful, congregating around my airstones. Two in each container with the air pumps on high. I have four reservoirs, and they're all doing the same thing. Ill have to send a pic later because my lights are off right now.

Everything you have Said and are doing sounds right so I really see no reason for the fluctuations is there a possibility that your ph pen is out of calibration. I actually dropped mine in the bucket the other night now it's all over the place I have to re calibrate it every minuet while using till my new one arrives. I got the gh 7.0 buffer I dip the pen in and tune it up every use one grow u went 3 weeks without testing my meter then it was way off I was really f in my plant up with low ph when I thought it was right but the autos didn't seam to mind .

I have been using ro water until about a week ago. I switched to deionized water due to its purity when I was first having ph problems. The ph of both for me is the same, around 6.0. I am willing to go back to ro again.

Thanks iceman. I have a new ph meter. I have checked the calibration multiple times. Its dead on. I can't figure this out. My ppm's are going up about 50 ppm a day, ph going down rapidly.

I have been using the bubble ponics tutorial on growweedeasy.com. This is my first time using dwc. I have followed the tutorial exactly, other than the supplements, which I am adding at 50%. Everything has gone well until now. When I changed the nute %, I may have triggered some kind of problem. I'm not sure.

PH will fluctuate based on temperature and oxidation. You can't stop hydrogen from shedding ions. But what you can do is prepare your solution 24 hours ahead of time and let it stabilize to your desired ph. But pH will change if a) the temperature changes (ie. in a warm tent) or b) if you introduce other elements (ie.air from a bubbler).
If it becomes a problem and 24 hour pre-stabilization doesn't work you may want to look into an automated ph adjustment system used in aquariums and reef tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

420-magazine-mobile1566878636.jpg

Need help with ph fluxuation

I've used this chart with no problems at all over all my grows at the exact amount they suggest micro then grow them bloom then Calmag then florishis plus then then I throw some flora blend in there at the mix sugested on the box I believe florishis plus is 1 teaspoon per gall and flora blend at 5 teaspoons a gallon then I add my silicate I don't use armor si I use a prod Calle great white. But I use ro water and that's all I have ever did du to .25c a gallon with a ppm of 7 and a ph of7
420-magazine-mobile1851388121.jpg
my ppm will b in the 700 range and dam near 5.8 after all the mixing I find that over the first few days the ph will creep up a little and minute adjustments will put it where I want it then it holds for a whole week or until the plant starts to drink then as I top it off I becomes unstable with big swings so I just replace again.

Thanks for the suggestions. I found and fixed the problem. I turned off the top feed, that may have helped a little. Then I removed the pump and all the associated parts. After untangling all the roots from the pump and removing it, I noticed a lot of slimy green stuff stuck to the feet of the pump that I couldn't see until I pulled it out of the reservoir. Everything else was very clean. I just checked the ph after changing the nutrient solution and waiting 24 hours. It is 6.0, exactly where I want it to be.
I would urge other top fed dwc users to check their pumps feet regularly after about 6 weeks of growth, as the top feed is no longer needed, and the pump can be removed to allow more space for roots, and reduce surface area where bacteria and mold can congregate.
My plants looked healthy through all of the ph issues. Had I not been checking the ph daily, and keeping it adjusted constantly, I think they would probably have died.

pH is a funny thing ain't it?
I am 10 weeks into my DWC grow and I use a blue labs guardian pH, tds/ec monitor that stays in my Rez 24-7. I chart at least daily but two to three times is the norm. I'm luck to be able to see what is going on all the time.
After a Rez change my pH is around 4.5 and it will take about a day for my girl, the temp, evaporation etc, to sort out and the Rez will eventually find a state of homeostasis. I don't know if it's luck or it's why DWC works but it always seems to be between 5.8-6.2 pH. My Rez temps are between 68-72.
It might be my nutes are designed that way (Rx Green) but I have just stopped chasing PH because after reading posts by Rifleman and the data supplied by my nute mfg, it's a waste of $ it stresses the plant and there is no need.
I am posting this because I read this type of post frequently. Hell I read your post because I had the same question when I first started DWC. Now I don't even give PH a thought anymore.
A couple of things.
Z7 works great for me.
Go get an aquarium pH testing kit from local super store. They are cheap and if you are not 100% sure about your pen, it's a great insurance and makes you sleep gooder at night.
Water temps will fluctuate PH more than anything. I struggled until I moved my air pump to the coldest area I could.
Leave em be.They will sort themselves out
Congratulations, you have done a super job. They look like they are gonna be super nice ladies.

Lots of hope and promise,
Gauge

pH is a funny thing ain't it?
I am 10 weeks into my DWC grow and I use a blue labs guardian pH, tds/ec monitor that stays in my Rez 24-7. I chart at least daily but two to three times is the norm. I'm luck to be able to see what is going on all the time.
After a Rez change my pH is around 4.5 and it will take about a day for my girl, the temp, evaporation etc, to sort out and the Rez will eventually find a state of homeostasis. I don't know if it's luck or it's why DWC works but it always seems to be between 5.8-6.2 pH. My Rez temps are between 68-72.
It might be my nutes are designed that way (Rx Green) but I have just stopped chasing PH because after reading posts by Rifleman and the data supplied by my nute mfg, it's a waste of $ it stresses the plant and there is no need.
I am posting this because I read this type of post frequently. Hell I read your post because I had the same question when I first started DWC. Now I don't even give PH a thought anymore.
A couple of things.
Z7 works great for me.
Go get an aquarium pH testing kit from local super store. They are cheap and if you are not 100% sure about your pen, it's a great insurance and makes you sleep gooder at night.
Water temps will fluctuate PH more than anything. I struggled until I moved my air pump to the coldest area I could.
Leave em be.They will sort themselves out
Congratulations, you have done a super job. They look like they are gonna be super nice ladies.

Lots of hope and promise,
Gauge

Some one reads my posts ? Oh my. :rofl: Quite a bit will depend on the nutrient brand. Not all will find a homeostatic spot and remain there. If you have time and don't get too bored, I do have a months worth of daily pH and ppm readings. AN mostly, but Remo with a couple of my current plants.

My best advice for dwc growers....buy the best nutrients you can afford, same with testing pens. Keep it all clean, calibrated, and spend 30 or 40 minutes a day tending to your reservoirs and plants.

Rifleman I have been told you are the one to talk to about dwc I am starting my first in next couple weeks would be greatly appreciated if ya could give me few tips and tricks what works and doesn't just general info

Rifleman I have been told you are the one to talk to about dwc I am starting my first in next couple weeks would be greatly appreciated if ya could give me few tips and tricks what works and doesn't just general info

Get your post count up over 50 so we can pm, or hit me up at The Roost, linked below, so we dont clutter someone else's thread. :)

I'm currently in my off season and on the road but I check in every once in a while..... :nomo:(daily) :rofl: I don't know that I'm "the one" but I do appreciate the thought. :blushsmile: I hope I can help fill in the blanks.

Back
Top Bottom