Question about good bacteria

Gree N

Hi everybody I am new too DWC just got my first seedling poking roots out of the Rockwool ready to go in the basket.
I'm using the water from a new aircon unit, My main question is regarding products like white shark which I can't afford right now. I have been into freshwater aquariums for a long time and familiar with bacteria "cycles" where good bacteria is produced towards the end of a cycle then an aquarium is established being able to consume ammonia and nitrites and convert them to nitrates.

Is this "good bacteria" the same in aquariums and can gravel or filter media be taken from a freshwater aquarium and put into a dwc container to promote good bacteria growth?

Hey Gree I just followed the link from your other journal. This is out of my field since I don't grow DWC, but I expect the answer to your question is probably 'no'. I don't know though.
If you can get some Hydroguard that would be good stuff to have around.

I use Hydroguard. Have reservoir temps over 70F most of the time. Sensizym or Z7 will work too. If cost and availability are a problem look into brewing a biological tea for the reservoir. A bit more labor intensive but it works also.

Cool thanks rifleman I look into the tea, at the moment my partner and spend 80-160 bucks a week on smoko. Just trying to keep the whole cost of setup down. Things can get out of hand quickly in the $$$ department when setting up lol.

The smallest container of white shark powder is au $60 from my local hydro shop, not sure if that is expensive or not but I certainly thought it was especially when I have tanks and canister filters already full of good bacteria lol time to do some research

Hmmmmmmm!!!! I'm thinking my fish tanks could really come in handy doing dwc. I also breed some smaller fish but to feed to the bigger ones, I'm going to start adjusting there ph down too 6 so they can handle being in the dwc bucket for a few months muh ahaha ha
Starting Up (Cycling) an Aquaponics System Using Fish |The Aquaponic Source
I really can't see any reason how the beneficial bacteria from my canister filters won't be beneficial too the plants also. They will help breakdown any dead roots or ammonia and nitrite's and turn them into nitrates which is readily absorbed by plants.
I have a test kit too test ammonia-nitrite-nitrate levels but I'm think I might need another testing tool for the dwc system.
What do you guys use?

Hmmmmmmm!!!! I'm thinking my fish tanks could really come in handy doing dwc. I also breed some smaller fish but to feed to the bigger ones, I'm going to start adjusting there ph down too 6 so they can handle being in the dwc bucket for a few months muh ahaha ha
Starting Up (Cycling) an Aquaponics System Using Fish |The Aquaponic Source
I really can't see any reason how the beneficial bacteria from my canister filters won't be beneficial too the plants also. They will help breakdown any dead roots or ammonia and nitrite's and turn them into nitrates which is readily absorbed by plants.
I have a test kit too test ammonia-nitrite-nitrate levels but I'm think I might need another testing tool for the dwc system.
What do you guys use?

At that point you're shifting to Aquaponics. Having been there myself, I hope you have a lot of time to monitor and adjust your setup!

Back
Top Bottom