Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 Gallon Tote For Small DWC Box Grow? Will It Be Enough?

Post Thanks / Like

4 Gallon Tote For Small DWC Box Grow? Will It Be Enough?

I used this 2 to 3 gallon tub for some crown royale. It holds maybe 3 gallons to the rim. Worked really good. Got almost 6 ounces. The roots were packed in and I had to add water almost every day, but still. CheersIdeal is ideal, but make the most of that you have.
    Gauge Steel, LiveAndLetGro thanked you for this post

Mike's Crown Royale Round 2 - https://www.420magazine.com/forums/j...round-2-a.html
    Mike's GDPurps and Triple Cheese Run - 600w Ebb & Flo Grow showhttps://www.420magazine.com/forums/g...-flo-show.html

https://www.420magazine.com/forums/i...lies/yummy.gif

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4 Gallon Tote For Small DWC Box Grow? Will It Be Enough?

I won't bullchit you. I don't know a thing about top feed other than I understand the concept. But as I am sure you know, Rifleman knows his chit and his journal is a never ending education for me about hydro of all types. It's also a great read for growing conditions, strains including both photos and autos and has a chit ton of very good growers who visit regularly. He keeps awesome data pH/ec/tds, temps and you can emulate all of it and be successful.
    Probably shouldn't make a Rifleman feel too much like a 1sg however it is well deserved.

The last pic is the hole for your air line. Have a disconnect about six inches past your res so you can separate the airstone and leave it in the tub for tidy res cleans.
    You can either get another tub and do a complete switch out and just put the original lid on the fresh tub and put the airstone back in or put the lid and plant Into a clean wet bucket and let your roots have a nice air bath while you clean the tub and airstone. Or pump the old solution out of the Rez and add new solution. Either way I like having the option of being able to removing the plant from my cabinet without hoses attached. Lifting the lid towards the end of flower in a small space can be disastrous to the outlying branches. Think breakage.. I know. 4 Gallon Tote For Small DWC Box Grow? Will It Be Enough?

Guage
    Last edited by Gauge Steel; 05-17-2017 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Pics
    Rifleman thanked you for this post
    Rifleman liked this post

Gauge Steels House Warming Party. COB - Cookies and Kush, Hydro Downstairs, all Welcome
    Come visit the Hempy Headquarters
    How to Grow Marijuana - Everything You Need to Know
    1st Grow GC - DWC - LED- Indoor 2017- Completed

420 Photo Contest Winner June & July & August 2017 LiveAndLetGro's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtrmike470 View Post
    I used this 2 to 3 gallon tub for some crown royale. It holds maybe 3 gallons to the rim. Worked really good. Got almost 6 ounces. The roots were packed in and I had to add water almost every day, but still. CheersIdeal is ideal, but make the most of that you have.
    Wow! What a beautiful plant! Grown in only 3 gallons! That is epic!
    gtrmike470 thanked you for this post
    Gauge Steel liked this post

My First Grow - DWC - LED (Complete)

420 Photo Contest Winner June & July & August 2017 LiveAndLetGro's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gauge Steel View Post
    I won't bullchit you. I don't know a thing about top feed other than I understand the concept. But as I am sure you know, Rifleman knows his chit and his journal is a never ending education for me about hydro of all types. It's also a great read for growing conditions, strains including both photos and autos and has a chit ton of very good growers who visit regularly. He keeps awesome data pH/ec/tds, temps and you can emulate all of it and be successful.
    Probably shouldn't make a Rifleman feel too much like a 1sg however it is well deserved.

The last pic is the hole for your air line. Have a disconnect about six inches past your res so you can separate the airstone and leave it in the tub for tidy res cleans.
    You can either get another tub and do a complete switch out and just put the original lid on the fresh tub and put the airstone back in or put the lid and plant Into a clean wet bucket and let your roots have a nice air bath while you clean the tub and airstone. Or pump the old solution out of the Rez and add new solution. Either way I like having the option of being able to removing the plant from my cabinet without hoses attached. Lifting the lid towards the end of flower in a small space can be disastrous to the outlying branches. Think breakage.. I know. 4 Gallon Tote For Small DWC Box Grow? Will It Be Enough?

Guage
    Yeah I can tell his journal is going to be a good one to follow. Sooo much info. I'm only on page 6 lol.

I do like the idea of having another tub for quick and easy res/water changes. I had that intention with my closet grow but 20 gallon tubs are hard to move around haha. I have just been using a water transfer pump to get the old water out and the new water in. It will be much easier with a couple 6 gallon tubs and like you said, the roots like a little air bath every once in a while.
    Gauge Steel, Rifleman liked this post

My First Grow - DWC - LED (Complete)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtrmike470 View Post
    Man this is great I just started my little room. This was a nice read
    U.S. Marine vet
    Business owner
    Living a dream, no pills for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Is 16oz enough? 4 Gallon Tote For Small DWC Box Grow? Will It Be Enough?4 Gallon Tote For Small DWC Box Grow? Will It Be Enough?
    devilmac87 liked this post

420 Member of the Month (Oct 10') TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Look for the guy that's had a bad headache since 1989 - that's me.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    I used a 27 gal tote but you can scale down.
    Hey, Rifleman, glad (as always) to see you're still an active member.

I used ~27-gallon totes. And some days they'd transpire pretty much everything - that I poured in first thing in the morning - by the time I got home late at night. But that was a hot environment, lots of healthy airflow, and large plants.

Since the OP is envisioning such a small plant (60 grams), and especially if he keeps the temperature down, a tote of 20+ gallons would probably be overkill. OtOH, lol, it'd extend the time between required maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimReefer83 View Post
    Is 16oz enough?
    You mean for cup size? When I do DWC, I like to use the biggest red Solo cups I can fine, 24-ounce by preference. I don't bother with a net cup, just put a bazillion quarter-inch holes in the bottom and the bottom half of the cup, and use that. As soon as the first root gets a tip into the solution in your reservoir, your container has effectively become that reservoir, anyway. But when using such a setup, I use a scrog screen, and between the downward force of growing up into that, and the root growth in the cup, my cups always end up destroyed anyway, and I have clay balls in the reservoir when I empty everything at the end of the run.

BtW, if you handle tobacco products and then handle your plants/etc., you can transfer TMV (tobacco mosaic virus) to your plants. It's rare, but it does happen occasionally. I try to avoid the practice, both for that reason and because, well... If there's a cigarette nearby, sooner or later (and probably sooner), I'm going to light it. And smoking (anything) around (any kind of) plants is generally a bad idea because the tar/etc. that makes up the smoke gets on everything - and, in addition to the fact that the chloroplasts just under the top surface of the leaves are their light-energy conversion factories (and, therefore, the tops of the leaves shouldn't have stuff on them all the time), the underside of the leaves have tiny little pores called stomata which the plants use to transpire water. This is their natural climate control mechanism. So I smoke elsewhere. It's most likely not going to kill the plants, but it's not good for them.
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see. -Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light

If you ever loved anything in your life, try to remember it. If you ever betrayed anything, pretend for a moment that you have been forgiven. If you ever feared anything, pretend for an instant that those days are gone and will never return. Buy the lie and hold to it for as long as you can. Press your familiar, whatever its name, to your breast and stroke it till it purrs. -Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness

If Nero was alive today, and a United States citizen, he'd be fiddling like mad. -Tortured Soul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12