4 Gallon Tote For Small DWC Box Grow? Will It Be Enough?

Quick question for the community today. I am considering building a box that is 39''T x 22''W x 16''D and using a 300 watt LED for auto grows and vegging photo's.

My question is: Will a 4 gallon tote (16 3/4 x 11 7/8 x 7-Inches) be enough to grow a decent sized plant in? I am only looking to harvest about 60 grams or so out of this setup.

Quick question for the community today. I am considering building a box that is 39''T x 22''W x 16''D and using a 300 watt LED for auto grows and vegging photo's.

My question is: Will a 4 gallon tote (16 3/4 x 11 7/8 x 7-Inches) be enough to grow a decent sized plant in? I am only looking to harvest about 60 grams or so out of this setup.

Use a five gallon bucket and you can keep 15L/4gal in the reservoir most of the time. The smaller the reservoir the harder it is to keep topped off and pH in range.

I easily average 6oz per plant in my buckets but that is strain, light, nutrient, etc dependent also.

Yes, that's big enough. I used 2.5 gallons of solution for my last grow in the same sized tub. Just under 1.5 oz dried and it was my first grow and I made a lot of rookie mistakes.
I only had a 48 watt LED as well.

Gauge

Yes, that's big enough. I used 2.5 gallons of solution for my last grow in the same sized tub. Just under 1.5 oz dried and it was my first grow and I made a lot of rookie mistakes.

Gauge

That's a great yield for such a small space. I will be buying my new res soon. I have a 300 watt LED arriving today and will be attempting to make my own Pineapple Express auto fem seeds using colloidal silver.

Did you have any trouble keeping your water temps down?

At times I did. Z7 helped but I did see a 77f this spring. I get meds in the mail that require refrigeration, so I take those and seal them in my vacuum thingy. I slipped one in the res when it got like that. I'm not saying that size tub is ideal, it can be done. Inside the house with AC would be fine.

Gauge

I found a great little tub for my space. It is a 6.6 gallon black tote that is about 21"x16"x7"Tall. It should work great for my little setup.

tote.jpeg

I found a great little tub for my space. It is a 6.6 gallon black tote that is about 21"x16"x7"Tall. It should work great for my little setup.

Make sure you drill your hole for your air supply through your bottom and not your lid. It makes rez cleaning and turning your plant 180 degrees way easier. I also cut three slits to create a small "hatch" in the lid so i can lift it up and add water via a funnel when needed. I use a piece of duct tape around that hatch as it jambs the hatch lid closed when not needed. I drill a small hole low in the bottom bucket and use a 90 degree elbow with tap from the plumbing section at the hardware store and add clear hose long enough to tuck it under the lip at the top of the lower unit. As you fill you will be able to see water level. No issues with algae, its a small amount of water. You probably know all this but hey. it works for me and dudes passed this kind of chit to me and i am spreading the love. Oh yeah, get a long funnel. Like two feet.

Gauge

And I appreciate every bit of info you pass along. It should be here tomorrow so I will be able to get everything setup and ready to go. I already started germin a Freedom Seeds Purple Express Auto. Never done an auto before, should be interesting. If my colloidal silver gets here in the next week or so I may try using it to get more auto seeds from the purple express. I think, for the most part, I should have everything I will need to be happy and content with my growing setup. Like I said, the smaller box will be used for veg and silver attempts. Once I have all the seeds I want, I should be setup with a veg and cloning station. I would love to be somewhat perpetual.

Check my blog entries for photos and step by step instructions on what Gauge is describing. :) I used a 27 gal tote but you can scale down.

I'm checking it out now. *the conversation about the opposite of the opposite on page 5 has me cracking up lol!* :laughtwo::laughtwo:

I have considered doing top feed before but worry about over/under watering problems. I don't know much about those systems. Are there some real pro's to using top feed as opposed to regular DWC?

I won't bullchit you. I don't know a thing about top feed other than I understand the concept. But as I am sure you know, Rifleman knows his chit and his journal is a never ending education for me about hydro of all types. It's also a great read for growing conditions, strains including both photos and autos and has a chit ton of very good growers who visit regularly. He keeps awesome data pH/ec/tds, temps and you can emulate all of it and be successful.
Probably shouldn't make a Rifleman feel too much like a 1sg however it is well deserved.

420-magazine-mobile701734275.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1260080073.jpg

420-magazine-mobile636965611.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1399887251.jpg

The last pic is the hole for your air line. Have a disconnect about six inches past your res so you can separate the airstone and leave it in the tub for tidy res cleans.
You can either get another tub and do a complete switch out and just put the original lid on the fresh tub and put the airstone back in or put the lid and plant Into a clean wet bucket and let your roots have a nice air bath while you clean the tub and airstone. Or pump the old solution out of the Rez and add new solution. Either way I like having the option of being able to removing the plant from my cabinet without hoses attached. Lifting the lid towards the end of flower in a small space can be disastrous to the outlying branches. Think breakage.. I know. .

Guage

I used this 2 to 3 gallon tub for some crown royale. It holds maybe 3 gallons to the rim. Worked really good. Got almost 6 ounces. The roots were packed in and I had to add water almost every day, but still. Cheers
420-magazine-mobile1900784850.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1502724084.jpg
420-magazine-mobile598850963.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1762584539.jpg
Ideal is ideal, but make the most of that you have.

Wow! What a beautiful plant! Grown in only 3 gallons! That is epic!

I won't bullchit you. I don't know a thing about top feed other than I understand the concept. But as I am sure you know, Rifleman knows his chit and his journal is a never ending education for me about hydro of all types. It's also a great read for growing conditions, strains including both photos and autos and has a chit ton of very good growers who visit regularly. He keeps awesome data pH/ec/tds, temps and you can emulate all of it and be successful.
Probably shouldn't make a Rifleman feel too much like a 1sg however it is well deserved.

420-magazine-mobile701734275.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1260080073.jpg

420-magazine-mobile636965611.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1399887251.jpg

The last pic is the hole for your air line. Have a disconnect about six inches past your res so you can separate the airstone and leave it in the tub for tidy res cleans.
You can either get another tub and do a complete switch out and just put the original lid on the fresh tub and put the airstone back in or put the lid and plant Into a clean wet bucket and let your roots have a nice air bath while you clean the tub and airstone. Or pump the old solution out of the Rez and add new solution. Either way I like having the option of being able to removing the plant from my cabinet without hoses attached. Lifting the lid towards the end of flower in a small space can be disastrous to the outlying branches. Think breakage.. I know. .

Guage

Yeah I can tell his journal is going to be a good one to follow. Sooo much info. I'm only on page 6 lol.

I do like the idea of having another tub for quick and easy res/water changes. I had that intention with my closet grow but 20 gallon tubs are hard to move around haha. I have just been using a water transfer pump to get the old water out and the new water in. It will be much easier with a couple 6 gallon tubs and like you said, the roots like a little air bath every once in a while.

I used this 2 to 3 gallon tub for some crown royale. It holds maybe 3 gallons to the rim. Worked really good. Got almost 6 ounces. The roots were packed in and I had to add water almost every day, but still. Cheers
420-magazine-mobile1900784850.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1502724084.jpg
420-magazine-mobile598850963.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1762584539.jpg
Ideal is ideal, but make the most of that you have.

Man this is great I just started my little room. This was a nice read

Back
Top Bottom