Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Ppm's dropping a lot between res change

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help! Ppm's dropping a lot between res change

And now I feel kinda ignorant because I haven't read up on hydro so off to amazon I go. Plus I just inhaled a few "cough" puffs of a really fine sativa
    Thanks bros. Stay safe and happy 4th !!!
    Skunkworkz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackson1988 View Post
    And now I feel kinda ignorant because I haven't read up on hydro so off to amazon I go. Plus I just inhaled a few "cough" puffs of a really fine sativa
    Thanks bros. Stay safe and happy 4th !!!
    Just for fun...

GenHydro 3-part for Dummies

1/ Delete the Grow (green) bottle.
    (See also: "Lucas Formula")Help! Ppm's dropping a lot between res change

2/ 6ml micro, 9ml bloom per gallon @ 6.0-6.2ph
    You feed this in veg, and flower, too. DWC, coco, ebb/flow tables, whatever. Easy. As. Fuck.

A 10 week cycle:
    (Assuming your water is spring water @ .1EC or EC 0 if RO.)
    ****If RO water is used, add 3ml/gallon CalMag throughout entire grow UNTIL end of week 8. If using spring water in coco, use CalMag in the first month of veg, then delete.

Week 1-4:
    6ml micro/9ml bloom, EC will be 1.2-1.3
    (Fuck "ppm" as a measurement, it's for rookies) Help! Ppm's dropping a lot between res change

Week 5:
    6ml micro/9ml bloom + kool bloom POWDER @ 1/4 tsp/gal. EC will be 1.3-1.4, ph should always(!) be 6.0-6.2

Week 6:
    6ml micro/9ml bloom

Week 7 & Week 8:
    6ml micro/9ml bloom + LIQUID kool bloom @ 10ml/gal in coco. ---> 5ml/gallon in DWC/buckets/tables.
    EC @ 1.7-1.8 in coco, about 1.6 in DWC etc.

Week 9:
    9ml bloom ONLY/gallon
    (This tapers nutes off & starts the plant flushing)

Week 10:
    Pure water at 6.2ph

Day 70:
    CUTHelp! Ppm's dropping a lot between res change

That's pmuch bulletproof.
    Scientific thanked you for this post

420 Member of the Month October 2010 & September 2017 TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Look for the guy that's had a bad headache since 1989 - that's me.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I read... ummm let's see. .. almost constantly.
    Me, too, lol. I'm a firm believer in "if you aren't learning, you might as well go ahead and punch out."

But truth be told I haven't had the pleasure of reading a book on hydro.
    And now I feel kinda ignorant because I haven't read up on hydro so off to amazon I go.
    You might try your local library. I was wandering through mine way back in the early- or mid-'80s and found a book on hydroponics. It wasn't huge, and the "pictures" were mostly just line drawings. But it even went into ordering the separate elements/minerals and mixing up your own hydroponic nutrients. There aren't many recent books that seem to cover such things. And that's a shame, because the related information - such as how adding some things in certain forms can cause other things to precipitate out of solution - can be very useful, even if one never intends to mix up his/her own nutrients from the individual components. And this book was published... in 1972 .

I guess it makes sense that (some small number of) books have been getting published on the subject of hydroponics for decades. After all, the practice of using hydroponic growing methods has been around since... How long ago did the Hanging Gardens of Babylon exist, lol?

Plus I just inhaled a few "cough" puffs of a really fine sativa
    Congratulations. Wish I was there .

happy 4th !!!
    You know... For what is almost certainly the single most important holiday in our entire country's history, it's surprising how many people don't know that it's called Independence Day. (I guess they think it's a movie title or something, lol?) Funny, but I don't believe I've ever heard someone say, "Hey, you have yourself a happy December 25th, now. And I'll see you a few days after that for the big January 1st Eve blowout!"

Yeah, I'm a bit of a smart@ss. But, still...

Quote Originally Posted by gr0w View Post
    Lots of tutorials and information on hydroponics
    I make it a practice not to give my support to anyone who refers to cannabis as "weed" or any other of the more unsavory nicknames. Cannabis prohibitionists do that - and I don't feel that they need my help. But that's just me, I guess....
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see. -Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light

If you ever loved anything in your life, try to remember it. If you ever betrayed anything, pretend for a moment that you have been forgiven. If you ever feared anything, pretend for an instant that those days are gone and will never return. Buy the lie and hold to it for as long as you can. Press your familiar, whatever its name, to your breast and stroke it till it purrs. -Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness

If Nero was alive today, and a United States citizen, he'd be fiddling like mad. -Tortured Soul

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkworkz View Post
    GenHydro 3-part for Dummies

1/ Delete the Grow (green) bottle.
    That's pmuch bulletproof.
    Unless you happen to go in for long vegetative periods, in which case you end up giving them way too much phosphorous, since there's approximately five times as much phosphorous in the Bloom component than in the Grow (the Micro, AfaIK, doesn't have any).

Just another example of why one method doesn't work best for everyone.

I have used the Lucas formula and other versions, since I once used General Hydroponics nutrients almost exclusively. But there are situations where it can be contraindicated.
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil

Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see. -Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light

If you ever loved anything in your life, try to remember it. If you ever betrayed anything, pretend for a moment that you have been forgiven. If you ever feared anything, pretend for an instant that those days are gone and will never return. Buy the lie and hold to it for as long as you can. Press your familiar, whatever its name, to your breast and stroke it till it purrs. -Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness

If Nero was alive today, and a United States citizen, he'd be fiddling like mad. -Tortured Soul

The enlightened West Coast legalized zone
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You feed this in veg, and flower, too. DWC, coco, ebb/flow tables, whatever. Easy. As. Fuck.
    Thanks for sharing that Skunk. I have saved it in my formulary for further consideration.

Easy is a good thing, but it's not the only thing. Those who are willing to fuss with concentrations a little more should be able to get higher yields. It would be interesting to do a side-by-side grow test.

(Fuck "ppm" as a measurement, it's for rookies) Help! Ppm's dropping a lot between res change
    I agree that EC makes better sense, but so does the metric system. Just as if you happen to be living in one of the backward countries that still uses imperial units, you'll communicate better in pounds and inches, when you're on a forum that uses mostly PPM, it makes sense to use that. And unlike converting between imperial and metric, you can convert between EC and PPM with one simple mathematical operation. Easy. As. Fuck.

Be kind to your lungs. Breath herbal vapors, not smoke.

The enlightened West Coast legalized zone
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TorturedSoul View Post
    You know... For what is almost certainly the single most important holiday in our entire country's history, it's surprising how many people don't know that it's called Independence Day.
    Oh, it's much worse than that. Some don't what date Independence Day falls on, and yesterday there was this:

This NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist Poll Reports:
    While 77% of residents nationally correctly cite Great Britain as the country from which the United States declared its independence, nearly one in four, 23%, either mention another country, 8%, or are unsure, 15%.

Thirteen other countries get tabbed as the country from which the United States gained its independence. A scattering of people mention France, Mexico, and Germany among the longer list of countries. At least one person surveyed mentioned Afghanistan, Brazil, Canada, China, Columbia, Denmark, Italy, Japan, Panama, or Russia.”

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you happen to go in for long vegetative periods, in which case you end up giving them way too much phosphorous, since there's approximately five times as much phosphorous in the Bloom component than in the Grow (the Micro, AfaIK, doesn't have any).

Help! Ppm's dropping a lot between res changeI'd disagree . In my garden(s) the 6/9 ratio has proven to work indefinitely. I've never seen a P issue in veg, in decades (plural) using it, even with older, 6' mothers in pots.
    As to long veg periods, other than if running 12' tall indica trees under Gavita DE's in 60 gallon pots, I can't see running a long veg time for any configurations I'm into, (and after thinking about it some more I can't think of good reasons to long-veg for much of any reason.)Help! Ppm's dropping a lot between res change

Just another example of why one method doesn't work best for everyone.

I have used the Lucas formula and other versions, since I once used General Hydroponics nutrients almost exclusively. But there are situations where it can be contraindicated.

Help! Ppm's dropping a lot between res changeI've used it forever, I can't recall the last time there was anything less than optimum nutrient levels with the plants.Help! Ppm's dropping a lot between res change

☕️

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
    I agree that EC makes better sense, but so does the metric system. Just as if you happen to be living in one of the backward countries that still uses imperial units, you'll communicate better in pounds and inches, when you're on a forum that uses mostly PPM, it makes sense to use that. And unlike converting between imperial and metric, you can convert between EC and PPM with one simple mathematical operation. Easy. As. Fuck.
    Metric? Imperial? Only in the cannabis world do we use "grams" and "ounces" in the same sentence .

For purposes of this discussion, "PPM" is just a number that has been arrived at through a (simple) calculation. It's not like we count... one... two... three... ... ... 646... 647. There are 647 parts per million of dissolved solids in this sample. Whew. Lol. My buddy who used to work in a municipal wastewater treatment plant didn't even do that - and he had to remove the liquid from the samples and then weigh them (on the single most accurate scale that I have ever seen). The meter also doesn't do that - even if it is a "PPM meter." It's like when a person has their vehicle tested on a dynamometer. They come away with a slip of paper that states how many horsepower their engine produced (mine stated "611"). But the device never measured horsepower in the first place; it measured the torque, then did a calculation. BtW, I knew (vaguely) a guy that managed to get a piece of paper that said his car was beyond the capability of the device, as it only measured torque up to 1,200 ft. lbs. (highly modified and twin turbocharged 1987 Buick Grand National v-6 monster, lol, and IIRC, one of the mods was trading the 231 cubic inch block for an old stage II Bush Grand National Buick V6... 274 ci, I think).

Sorry, rambling. That's how you can tell no one else is using my account, I guess.

So all such meters are actually measuring EC (electrical conductivity), regardless of what they are called or what units they display. And the EC is determined by the salt content. Funny thing is, different salts have different EC. IOW, if you had two one-liter beakers of distilled water, and you added sufficient (for example) potassium chloride to the first to bring its TDS content up to 1,000 parts per million... and you added enough sodium chloride to the other one to bring its TDS content up to 1,000 parts per million... If you then stuck your meter into each one, you'd get different readings. So none of them are going to give you an accurate TDS.

It IS helpful that a lot of nutrient companies will give EC recommendations for their specific products, so actually knowing how many PPM that equates to is not necessary. And, obviously, if your reading is lower today than it was yesterday, you know that the plants have been consuming nutrients. The meters are just incapable of telling the user WHICH specific nutrients (Calcium? Nitrogen? Molybdenum, lol?)

If using a "PPM" meter instead of an EC meter, it is helpful to know which of the THREE possible conversion factors it uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
    Oh, it's much worse than that. Some don't what date Independence Day fall on, and yesterday there was this:
    This NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist Poll Reports:
    While 77% of residents nationally correctly cite Great Britain as the country from which the United States declared its independence, nearly one in four, 23%, either mention another country, 8%, or are unsure, 15%.

Thirteen other countries get tabbed as the country from which the United States gained its independence. A scattering of people mention France, Mexico, and Germany among the longer list of countries. At least one person surveyed mentioned Afghanistan, Brazil, Canada, China, Columbia, Denmark, Italy, Japan, Panama, or Russia.”

Wow, just... wow. I didn't even realize that 23% of our population were politicians. But, seriously, that's so far past "pretty bad" that deplorable doesn't even cover it. I know that you cannot force a kid to learn while in school - but if my kid graduated not knowing such a simple fact, I'd be looking to sue the local board of education along with the principals of the schools he/she had gone to and every teacher that he/she was (supposedly) taught by. Or else they'd be dragging me out of the next board meeting in handcuffs even before the ambulances (plural) arrived.

☕️
    I'm glad it is working for you. It IS a simple nutrient program, that's for sure. A drunken monkey can manage it. Well... As long as he doesn't dump the Micro and Bloom into the container and then add the water, I guess.

Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've ran Lucas in the past using just Flora Nova bloom and had decent results. I now utilize GH 3 part along with mycorizae. Not very scientific but I use their directions except first few weeks that are at 50%
    As to Independence Day or The 4th of July they are just names given to the greatest experiment consisting of excessive freedoms, the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, the Pursuit of happiness, and capitalism. All wonderful ideas that created the country that was once and still is the envy of most of the world. I have ink that consists of an American flag along with many other patriotic yet also anti tyrannical tatts

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed that when using GH 3 part Flora series nutrients that the EC measured in µS is always exactly 2X the PPM value.

Post Thanks / Like

A drunken monkey can manage it. Well... As long as he doesn't dump the Micro and Bloom into the container and then add the water, I guess.
    Some pretty prestigious competitions have been won with what's called the Lucas Formula. Or so I'm told. Help! Ppm's dropping a lot between res change

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've ran Lucas in the past using just Flora Nova bloom and had decent results. I now utilize GH 3 part along with mycorizae. Not very scientific but I use their directions except first few weeks that are at 50%
    How is that working for you? Can you observe the mycorrhizae colonizing the root zone, and thriving when being fed GH nutrients? I've used them in soil grows and never given it a second thought, but it was my understanding - which could be incorrect, for all I know - that this type of life feeds by breaking down nutrients that are NOT in a form that the plant can use, and then excreting(?), as a waste product, nutrients which are in a form that the plants can directly utilize. But nutrients such as General Hydroponics Flora are already in a form that the plants can use, so... IDK?

As to Independence Day or The 4th of July they are just names given to the greatest experiment consisting of excessive freedoms, the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, the Pursuit of happiness, and capitalism. All wonderful ideas that created the country that was once and still is the envy of most of the world. I have ink that consists of an American flag along with many other patriotic yet also anti tyrannical tatts
    Sure. But if you call it "Independence Day," it might cause someone to think about something besides fireworks and hot dogs. Or... maybe not.

BtW, "pursuit of happiness." Most definitely not the same thing as "happiness." About 92% of the population does not understand the distinction, methinks.

I don't have patriotic tattoos. But I do have a flag outside, at least. I'm probably the only one in my neighborhood who brings it in at night (since I do not have a spotlight to shine on it). So some days I forget to stick it back out there. Some of my neighbors probably think I'm a bit odd. <SHRUGS> But most of them undoubtedly know that I'm a great deal... odd .

I have heard it said that democracy - or a representative republic, which is what we have - is not the best form of government, merely the best form of government that we have come up with so far. Makes sense to me.
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why I capitalized the P in pursuit. It's not a guarantee. It's up to the individual to make or break the opportunities given thru freedom. Today a large percentage of the population has been dominated by socialist policy to the detriment of our republic.
    That which you subsidize you will get more of... and I fear this apathy is destroying our once great nation. Public education for the most part has done exactly what the socialist craves... Creating a populous of ignorant needy lemmings who live at the whims of the government and the taxpayers
    Scrogdawg thanked you for this post
    Scrogdawg, TorturedSoul liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12