Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utter noob looking for buying advice

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Utter noob looking for buying advice

I originally was going to use 4 x 5G tubs. Cheap & the net lids are cool. My reasoning behind bins is:

It allows me to have approx. 22G of water in the system for stability of pH & nutes. 4 x 5G + a 5G res would be less – maybe 15G before root growth? My past life fish tank experience taught me that a big tank is far more stable than a small one.

It allows me to cluster the plants around the core light area better than 4 x 5G which would have to be staggered in a 2 x 4 tent leaving 2 out of 4 out of the prime light area. Doubling the light would work as well but that is not in the budget this time. And of course, one plant alone or 2 plants would be best for light but we all want more. Right?

This plan drops the plant base by 4 inches, so more for growth.

It will require 3 ½” pots (system level mandated) so I will have to fab support as required. I will also use mylar-covered acrylic sheets on top of the modded tote top surface for extra support.

Much simpler plumbing hookup. 3 totes with flat sides are much easier to plumb to. This is an upstairs bedroom & leaks would be a disaster. The idea of barbed connectors & grommets on a cylinder gives me hives. I am sure Home Despot can supply whatever I need to securely feed PVC lines to straight-sided hard plastic totes. ½ or ¾ lines with 2” return. And thinking it through, I might put a float shutoff for the pump on one of the grow totes to prevent overflow if the filter clogs. But it is not like I won’t be inspecting all of the time anyway . . .

Thanks guys.

The final layout (for now)

Post Thanks / Like

Just gunna throw this idea out there. Put a couple shut off (ball valves) on both the return and feed.
    Also use a union on the pvc incase you need to remove one of the totes or reservoir.

I also see a lot of people use 1 1/2" pvc and use big grommets and silicone.

Or these work well too
    Bloodguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gr0w View Post
    Put a couple shut off (ball valves) on both the return and feed.
    Also use a union on the pvc incase you need to remove one of the totes or reservoir.
    You were reading my mind.

I also see a lot of people use 1 1/2" pvc and use big grommets and silicone.
    Exactly what I want to avoid.

Thanks.

420 Member of the Month (Oct 10') TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Look for the guy that's had a bad headache since 1989 - that's me.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldbastage View Post
    The idea of barbed connectors & grommets on a cylinder gives me hives. I am sure Home Despot can supply whatever I need to securely feed PVC lines to straight-sided hard plastic totes.
    If you can't find what you need, just ask for "bulkhead connectors" - they should show you something threaded, with gaskets, that makes a sandwich (lol) with your tote's wall as the inner layer.

Very useful things, unions. For anyone that doesn't know what they are... picture your plumbing system. Even if it's something like threaded galvanized water line, if you want to remove a section of pipe (etc.), you can't just start twisting that pipe; trying to unscrew one end just acts to tighten the other. That big center section (on metal unions, it's shaped for a wrench to hold it) gets turned and then you have separated your pipes. We used to sell them at the hardware store and people would wonder why they needed such a thing. I guess it's like wall sleeves, lol, if you need one, you'll know (too late )....
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see. -Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light

If you ever loved anything in your life, try to remember it. If you ever betrayed anything, pretend for a moment that you have been forgiven. If you ever feared anything, pretend for an instant that those days are gone and will never return. Buy the lie and hold to it for as long as you can. Press your familiar, whatever its name, to your breast and stroke it till it purrs. -Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness

If Nero was alive today, and a United States citizen, he'd be fiddling like mad. -Tortured Soul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12