Recommend me a chiller please

jackson1988

Currently using a refrigerator setup that works pretty well. Next time around I was thinking of getting a chiller which would be more efficient and save me some space. The reviews I find online are all over the place especially for ecoplus brand. I want real world results from the people who have or use whatever. Thanks

Currently using a refrigerator setup that works pretty well. Next time around I was thinking of getting a chiller which would be more efficient and save me some space. The reviews I find online are all over the place especially for ecoplus brand. I want real world results from the people who have or use whatever. Thanks

I bought an Active Aqua water chiller, 1/10 horsepower, to chill my 35 gallon reservoir here in SoCal.
I bought it from Amazon three weeks ago, got it a couple of days after I ordered it, plugged it in, and it's been running perfectly.
Small water chillers do not have their own pump so I bought an Eco Plus 185.
Setting everything up only took 15 minutes and my temperatures have not varied from 69°.
I have a Kind 600 in a 2 x 4 tent. When the Kind is running, the water chiller runs but, when it's lights out, the water chiller is silent.
The water chiller is one of the "extra" items that are making things much easier.

As a follow up…
Did my first res change. The res is a 35 gallon res but I fill/refill with 28 gallons to get to ½" below the net pots.
My RO water is kept in a cistern in a garage in SoCal and the water was 82º when it went in the res. My workload is silly stupid so I didn't make the time to do anything to drop the temp before it went into the res.
The chiller worked superbly.
The 10:00 temp of 82º dropped to 72º by 1:30 and was 69º by 3:45.
It's only fair to disclose that, due to the heat here in SoCal, it's lights out from 12 PM to 6 PM so the lights were out and I use tuppers of frozen water to get the temps down to the low 70's.
In contrast to the cooling in the tent, the room temp at the time rose from 81.4 to 82.0
The net net is that the little 1/10 hp water chiller took the 28 gallon res from 82º to 72º in 3.5 hours and got it into the DO maximized temp of 68º by the time less than 7 hours of pouring in 28 gallons of 82º water. That's impressive.
The Active Aqua chiller has been superb.

Back
Top Bottom