Thread: PPM issue

Post Thanks / Like

PPM issue

Hey everyone, I'm running a single plant in a 3.5 gal bucket with 450w viparspectra led light. Nothing is really wrong with my plant except that it's starting week 4 of flower, and the the ppms are down in the 600's.. it's a sativa plant, and it seems to be doing great it's about 5.5ft tall with the bucket and I keep the ph right around 5.9-6.1. I use botanicare I use bloom and hydro guard I have calmag+ but don't use it because it doesn't have deficiencies. But like I said I had the ppms at 631 yesterday when I left, today it was 675 I diluted as much as I could but I watered yesterday and wasn't much room left in the res. Ph dropped to 5.8 brought it to 6.1 my ppms should be over 1000 at this point should they not? It's also not drinking tons of water. Maybe a gallon every 3-4 days. Roots look white. Anyone got a clue?

Post Thanks / Like

re: PPM issue

Just a quick guide

TorturedSoul, bigbudzzz420 thanked you for this post
    TorturedSoul, bigbudzzz420 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So I guess I'll do a res change, and see if that helps at all, but is it normal, or ok for ppms to be at 600ish this late in flower?
    bigbudzzz420 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had mine off the charts. Like 2000+ppm. I think better would have been 800-1100 would be more appropriate. Look at the feed charts. Most clones and seedlings I keep around 250ppm and go from there after roots are established in the solo cups.
    I see no nutrient burn in the tips of your leaves but would recommend training your plant next time. By leaving the last node and leaf on your developing branches..it will strengthen and lengthen those branches and end up with 6-8 colas all absorbing same amount of light.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I meant to cut a lot more off waited too long tho. By training do you mean using trellis netting? And you mean cut all the suckers off and only leave the main colas on the branches at the end right?

420 Member of the Month (Oct 10') TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Look for the guy that's had a bad headache since 1989 - that's me.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz13 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm running a single plant in a 3.5 gal bucket with 450w viparspectra led light. Nothing is really wrong with my plant except that it's starting week 4 of flower, and the the ppms are down in the 600's.. it's a sativa plant, and it seems to be doing great it's about 5.5ft tall with the bucket and I keep the ph right around 5.9-6.1. I use botanicare I use bloom and hydro guard I have calmag+ but don't use it because it doesn't have deficiencies. But like I said I had the ppms at 631 yesterday when I left, today it was 675 I diluted as much as I could but I watered yesterday and wasn't much room left in the res. Ph dropped to 5.8 brought it to 6.1 my ppms should be over 1000 at this point should they not? It's also not drinking tons of water. Maybe a gallon every 3-4 days. Roots look white. Anyone got a clue?
    Well, that LED panel is only actually consuming, what... about 200 watts? I'm guessing your tent is a 3'x3' or 4'x4' - So that's either ~22.2 or 12.5 watts per square foot (pretty low, in either case). Sure, a lot of that is falling on the plant because it's directly under the panel - but a lot of its illumination isn't falling on the plant. And sativas are light-loving plants (more so than indicas), being (mainly) equatorial/tropical ones.

Add to that the fact that many sativas are known to be light feeders, and it's not surprising that yours appears to be healthy with a more moderate nutrient concentration. You can always try ramping up your nutrients slightly - but watch for signs of nutrient burning (the tips of the leaves are often an indicator of this).

is it normal, or ok for ppms to be at 600ish this late in flower?
    I wouldn't consider the start of the fourth week of flower to be late in flower when growing a sativa, lol. I've routinely seen sativa-dominant hybrids go 12 to 14 weeks, and pure(ish) sativas 16 up to 20+ weeks in flower. Has yours even finished the stretch (first 40% of flower period) yet?
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see. -Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light

If you ever loved anything in your life, try to remember it. If you ever betrayed anything, pretend for a moment that you have been forgiven. If you ever feared anything, pretend for an instant that those days are gone and will never return. Buy the lie and hold to it for as long as you can. Press your familiar, whatever its name, to your breast and stroke it till it purrs. -Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness

If Nero was alive today, and a United States citizen, he'd be fiddling like mad. -Tortured Soul

Post Thanks / Like

So I had a 32x32x63 tent with that light, and the plant got too tall, so I got a bigger tent 57x57x95 with the intention of getting two 900w leds from same company because I'm growing 6 plants on an ebb and flow system next time. But don't have the lights yet or else I would put one of them in there right now. How am I suppose to tell you if it's done with 40% of flower if you just told me it could range from 12 to 20 weeks? I know my plant isn't almost done I just meant this late having 600ppms being too much it's not taking it. No matter what I do right now it will only drink water and the ppms keep going up

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you aren't mixing or re-adding solution quite right. The PPM's will be what you set and there isn't a hard and fast rule of what it should be. It will vary depending on what nutes you use, additives and technique - as well as source water quality.

After you mix a new batch, you need to watch it over a few days to figure out if it has not enough, enough, or too much nutes. If it's rising, then it probably means that it needs less nutes and needs to be diluted. You can remove some of the nutes if you need to add pH'd water so that the level doesn't go too high. You should end up with a ppm LOWER than it was before or it will just keep oil rising.

If it drops then it needs a higher concentration of nutes and you need to bump it up higher than it was.

When you get it right, it will stay steady as the water solution drops.

All that said - there's another cause of ppm's rising - heat/evaporation. In the warmer months, if it's in the 80's in your tent, a lot of water can be lost just due to evaporation from the rez. All that air that's being bubbled into the rez comes out through the hydroton and takes some of the water with it. IF this is the cause, then you dilute it back to where it was.

Your plant looks very stretchy from most of the plant being too far from the light. The very top is ok, but the PAR drops off steeply after 2' on LED's. Those lower branches are going to have a tough time getting enough light. A SCROG net can help you keep a nice flat canopy for even coverage.

Post Thanks / Like

These ones just finished week 3 flowering:

oldbastage liked this post

420 Member of the Month (Oct 10') TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Look for the guy that's had a bad headache since 1989 - that's me.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: PPM issue

How am I suppose to tell you if it's done with 40% of flower if you just told me it could range from 12 to 20 weeks?
    Most plants, when the light type/intensity is constant (during flowering), will stretch for the first 40% of flowering. So... Has it stopped stretching yet (or at least significantly slowed down, if the light situation causes/caused it to keep reaching for light)?

I know my plant isn't almost done I just meant this late having 600ppms being too much it's not taking it. No matter what I do right now it will only drink water and the ppms keep going up
    Some landrace sativas are notoriously light feeders. Therefore, depending on what genetics are in the strain, it might not require heavy nutrient levels.

Other than that, you can try giving it more light to see if the reason it isn't consuming nutrients at a high rate is simply because it isn't receiving enough light-energy to need them.

And if the stretch has ended, you can ease off on the percentage of nitrogen in the nutrients.
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see. -Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light

If you ever loved anything in your life, try to remember it. If you ever betrayed anything, pretend for a moment that you have been forgiven. If you ever feared anything, pretend for an instant that those days are gone and will never return. Buy the lie and hold to it for as long as you can. Press your familiar, whatever its name, to your breast and stroke it till it purrs. -Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness

If Nero was alive today, and a United States citizen, he'd be fiddling like mad. -Tortured Soul

Post Thanks / Like

This is my new light, I bought two of them for my next grow only using one now, 900w viparspectra rectangle

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that the top of the plant is getting good light but by the middle of the plant it's not enough. The PAR drops off that fast.