DIY Odor Control Bucket

Disclosure:
I did not invent or create this Odor Bucket. I found it for sale on the Internet for $139.00 plus shipping. I call it -------'s because it is mine and I built it.

Pot is going to stink and stink very stong too. Even in a cabinet or a closet behind closed doors, the smell or odor will spread all over the entire house. I have smelled my grow when I was outdoors, from inside the spare bed room closet.

I do not grow with HID lights, I use CFLS and for that reason, I do not need to VENT the HEAT. And also, for that reason, I do not use a Carbon Odor Filter Scrubber. I do believe a Carbon Odor Filter Scrubber is best, but it will cost more than my DIY BUCKET.

The pics tell the story, bit I start with lots of holes. My bucket and lid cost $5.00 from Walley World.

2009_Grow_00112.jpg

2009_Grow_0022.jpg

I did the square holes with an electric Dremel Cutter, but a razor knife or heated knife blade will do the trick.

Re: -------'s DIY Odor Control Bucket

I use ONA and prefer the fresh Linen Scent. I have used Febreeze too and it works good, but does not last as long. You can also use Pine Sol, but Pine Sol masks the odor, or covers it up. ONA really neutralizes it and eliminates it.And avoid the cheap ONA imitations, they do not work

2009_Grow_0042.jpg

Either a 9 or 10 inch round fan (aka muffin fan) is used. They are only $8.95 from Walmart, and Lowes has them during the Winter Time.

2009_Grow_0032.jpg

The 9 or 10 inch fan fits perfectly into the top of the bucket. If you use a smaller fan, I suggest you install it into the lid.

2009_Grow_0052.jpg

I could have easily removed the stand from the fan, but it worked well with it, so I left it attached.

2009_Grow_0061.jpg

The fan pulls the air and odor from the room into the bucket, and pushes it into the ONA Gel and water placed in the bottom of the bucket. The air escapes from the holes, but without the odor.

I have tried cheap and expensive Ionizers, carbon filters, electric Febreeze filters, and they do not work well at all.
I have tried charcoal and I have tried cheap smelly substitutes, but the ONA really, really works. I sometimes use the solid blocks but I like the chunks in liquid or the GEL best. I just add a little, like 1/6 of the big jar, and it lasts for weeks. I can dildute it with water or cat liter, to make it last even longer.

I 've seen a computer fan on a 3 gallon bucket, but a 5 gallon bucket without the lid is only $4.

AND, with 6 inches of water added in the bottom of the bucket, it increases the humdiity too.

I would not recommend or suggest this, if it did not work and work very good too.

Re: Roseman's DIY Odor Control Bucket

So, in your experience, how large of a grow will this work for? Either square feet or plant number... i.e., how many plants do you have growing in your closet, and how big is it? Also, what purpose do the rectangular holes serve?

So, in your experience, how large of a grow will this work for? Either square feet or plant number... i.e., how many plants do you have growing in your closet, and how big is it? Also, what purpose do the rectangular holes serve?

For me, I had a spare bedroom, with a walk in closet, 24 inches deep, 10 feet log, 8 feet high ceiling, very full of 9 large plants, 4 of them over 50 inches tall. Yielded 18 ounces of dired manicured buds.

The square holes? I just wanted to cut larger holes than the drill made, faster and easier than drilling, without weakening the sides or walls of the bucket. Adn I had a new never used power tool to try out. :grinjoint:

Olias,

what size bucket and what size fan did you use?

What ONA did you use?
How much did you spend?
How does it work for you?

I have $4 in the bucket, (the lid was a dollar but i did not use the lid)
$9 plus tax in the fan,
and $19 in the ONA.

8 " Bucket I found around the house 0$
8" Desk Top Fan Wall Mart fits perfectly using the bucket handel to lock it down I think 9.99$
ONA gel Block 6.95 EBay

NO SMELL PRICELESS:ganjamon:

8 " Bucket I found around the house 0$
8" Desk Top Fan Wall Mart fits perfectly using the bucket handel to lock it down I think 9.99$
ONA gel Block 6.95 EBay

NO SMELL PRICELESS

for the budget grower, this info is priceless ... :goodjob:

Thank you so much. I am in the process of setting up a closet grow and we were racking our brains to figure out a solution to future odor problems. Do you think a used stove hood fan would work if it were inverted in the same manner, or possibly ducting the stove hood to the lid of the bucket. I have these supplies on hand and think I will attempt it. Also would there be any benefit to adding another container inside the bucket filled 1/2 way with dustless Kitty Litter, kinda like an inline filter. I would use same configuration as above, by drilling holes in the coffee can and gluing the cans lid to the underside of the bucket lid and then feeding the duct into the bucket through the can and bucket lid. Any Suggestions would be appreciated and I will photograph the setup when I figure all the details out.
:thanks:

Thank you so much. I am in the process of setting up a closet grow and we were racking our brains to figure out a solution to future odor problems. Do you think a used stove hood fan would work if it were inverted in the same manner, or possibly ducting the stove hood to the lid of the bucket. I have these supplies on hand and think I will attempt it. Also would there be any benefit to adding another container inside the bucket filled 1/2 way with dustless Kitty Litter, kinda like an inline filter. I would use same configuration as above, by drilling holes in the coffee can and gluing the cans lid to the underside of the bucket lid and then feeding the duct into the bucket through the can and bucket lid. Any Suggestions would be appreciated and I will photograph the setup when I figure all the details out.
:thanks:

That sounds "doable" or "workable" but the real thing is spreading the ONA. ONA does not mask it or cover it, it actually really does NEUTRALIZE THE SMELL, so I would focus on getting the ONA int the air and the Smell into the ONA. But, YES, the stove hood fan would work, blowing into a bucket of ONA.

I have seen people add cat litter and some kind of Moisture ABSORB material, to make the ONA last longer.

Y ea h I can see that adding the coffee can would, just be redundant and is not necessary for the the odor removal. But adding Kitty litter to the mix to make the ONA last longer? would't that absorb the water? Just checking to see if I read that right.

:nicethread:

Y ea h I can see that adding the coffee can would, just be redundant and is not necessary for the the odor removal. But adding Kitty litter to the mix to make the ONA last longer? would't that absorb the water? Just checking to see if I read that right.

:nicethread:

The large jar of ONA is a JELL with some juice or liquid added to it.

Some people add WATER, some Add Cat liter, some add OIL Absorb, and there are other additives to dilute the ONA, to stretch it out to last longer.

Back
Top Bottom