DIY CFL Reflector - How To (Simple, Cheap & Effective)

Snuggs

I shared this diy reflector in another post and was asked to share here as well.

OK. This is a very cheap, simple & effective CFL reflector.

Tools Required

• Tin Snips
  • Jigsaw or similar
  • Hammer
  • Tape Measure
  • Drill
  • 3/8 Drill bit
  • Pliers

Material's Required

• 5 x 24 Vent - $3.29
  • Wood (most have leftovers for this small of a cut)
  • Dual Pole Light Socket - $3.49
  • Y Adapter Socket x 2 - $3.09 ea. (Total $6.18)
  • Electrical Plug or Lamp Cord - $3.19
  • Wire Nuts - $1.69
  • Finishing Nails - (Had on hand)

Step 1
Take your tin snips and cut off the crimped edge of the 5 x 24 vent piece.​

Step 2
Get out your saw and cut down two pieces of wood. Use what method works best for you. My cut measurements are 13 3/4in. across the bottom, center the bottom at 6 7/8in., then measure up 3 3/8in. and complete you arc. They don't need to be perfect.​

Step 3
Grab you hammer and some finishing nails and manipulate the vent piece to lay on top of your cut piece of wood. This can move around on you a bit. You may need to use your feet or something heavy such as your hammer to hold down the opposite end until you get it centered & tacked in place.​

Step 4
Flip your vent upside down and measure out your center for the light pole. Should be 10 3/4in. in and 7 in. across. Grab your drill and a 3/8 drill bit and pop a hole through.​

Step 5
Grab your dual pole socket and feed the wires through your newly created hole. Now tighten down with your pliers but be sure to hold the light socket so that it is centered.​

Step 6
Get out you lamp cord and wire it up with a few wire nuts & preferably some black tape for extra safety.​

Step 7
Grab you Y socket adapters & screw them into you light socket.​

Step 8
Add whatever bulbs that best suit your needs. I decided on 4 x 42W 6500K CFL's. My reasoning behind my choice was to produce over 10,000 Lumens per reflector, per reading through the forums the sun throws 10,000 so I figured that may work best to make each reflector a bare minimum of the sun. At least try.​

Well there ya go simple, cheap & seems to be very effective. All for just over $15.00 without the bulbs anyhow.

Re: DIY CFL Reflector - How To ( Simple, Cheap & Effective)

Well I guess I couldn't leave good enough as good enough. I got to thinking about how I was gonna mix in some different spectrum's as suggested throughout the forums. So after a med session I started rummaging old fixtures & parts to test a prototype so to say.

This is what I came up with..

So now it is a 6 x reflector as you can see with the newly added 14W 2700K cfl's and best of all my mixed spectrum is contained to one reflector.

So a recap of 4x42W 6500K, 2800 lumen's cfl's & 2x14W 2700K, 900 lumen's mini cfl's gives me 920W equivalent & 13,000 lumen's per reflector.

How did you wire & secure the new sockets into the existing fixture?

+reps

Ya sorry I didn't post any detailed info. That's why I called it a prototype. I couldn't run anywhere so I just used old parts from an old globe style fixture.

As far as mounting it I drilled holes into the existing bracket of the dual pole socket, then mounted it with just some small nuts & bolts. You will need to bend the metal tabs in the piece shown below to properly point your socket where its needed before mounting.

The wiring was just a simple cut and splice into the existing. Although I made the mistake of bypassing the switch which to me isn't a big deal as it is on a timer anyhow.

Thanks Butcher! By the way those are some monster roots.. :smokin:

Thanx. that was the first time I took them out of the bucket ina week, Any how, this is about your reflector and its a peice of art. I just built a different one. But I think I may have to give yours a go. I love DIY, there nothing better.

nice job. Good thinking using the venting material.

2 questions.

Did you ground the actual unit though?

& hows its progressing now

Thanks vspec!

The actual unit itself is not grounded. When part shopping all I found was 2 wire lamp cords. Being the impatient person I am, that worked. I don't know how important grounding is but it would be a simple swap.

Progression is going great! I have been running it with the 6 lights since the day I posted & the little ones are enjoying life at the moment. ;) At about 6 inches above tops the temp seems to be consistently around 75F. Adding the two 14W 2700K cfl's has shown improvement over the 4 42W.

Just cause its metal & DIY, id consider it a simple safety net.
Admittedly it would have been ideal to have an earth as standard on your plugs, however im aware not all products have this incorporated.

Its as simple as attaching a tag to your metal housing, & running a standard wire & plug ( minus the negative & positive wire of course) and plugging it into a spare socket.

Thanks for the update at any rate bud.

Yeah it would be best. I am not following the earth as a standard part. (Please re-explain)

I was planning on grounding everything for my rooms either on the water lines (was told this was acceptable) or a ground rod. It would also be easier just to swap the plug with a grounded one and affix the ground to the housing.

Still tidying up a few things.... ;)

I can do that.

do you have 2 wires or 3?, or if your only seeing the plug,(which i doubt as you pulled it apart to retrofit) same question would apply, do you have 2 prongs or 3.

The third wire is an earth,
zzplug.jpg
most appliance in Oz have the bottom earth as standard.

Gotcha! You were just using some old school terminology & I just wanted to make sure I knew what ya meant. Thanks!

It was getting time to get some more lights and as vspec pointed out I still needed a ground for safety, so I think I wrapped up my prototype. I didn't buy any new parts just used the same as before but added grounds and used a spare pc power supply cord. Also from a suggestion from Setting Sun some holes for venting.

I'll just throw up some pics as they should be self explanatory but any questions I'll be around.... :smokin:

A69.jpg
C50.jpg

G25.jpg
H19.jpg

E19.jpg
Lights-post.jpg

Hi Pres,

THANK YOU FOR posting this really wonderful reflector! Would you be willing to post a Materials List for this "final" reflector with the eight bulbs in it for those of us who would like to build one like this, and are not quite able to figure out how many screws just by looking at it? including everything from: electrical tape and screw nuts to the little chain, light bulbs, etc.

This is great! I look forward to making this myself very soon!

Sure Canna, hopefully this is what you were looking for.

Tools Required

* Tin Snips
* Jigsaw or similar
* Hammer
* Tape Measure
* Drill
* 3/8 Drill bit
* Pliers
* Wire cutters
* Screwdriver (Phillips)

Material's Required

* 5 x 24 Vent - $3.29
* Wood - (Had on hand)
* Dual Pole Light Socket - $3.49 - Example
* Y Adapter Socket x 2 - $3.09 ea. (Total $6.18)
* Single Light Socket x 4 - (Salvaged from an old fixture)
* Grounded Electrial Plug (spare PC power cord) - (Had on hand)
* Wire Nuts - $1.69 - 7 Needed
* Finishing Nails - (Had on hand)
* Electrical Tape - (Had on hand)
* Small Nuts & Bolts - (Had on hand) - 4 washers, 4 bolts & 4 nuts to be exact.

PRES, thank you for your GREAT listing of all the goodies for building this reflector. Being a little bit handy sure can save the $$ in many ways. Appreciation and gratitude flowing your way.

BLessings.

hey, well done.....again..lol

I know it may sound logical, however your earthed the metal though yeah?

No Problem Canna and Thanks!

Vspec - As the Kool-Aid guy would say "OH Yeah" :grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom