Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diy Custom CFL Growlight

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Diy Custom CFL Growlight

bluegil a 68w isn't even close to a 300w hps. Thats salespeople and their wattage equivalent bullshit.

Excited you are correct however you forget about the ballast. Tests show a 150w hps actually draws 199w.

Here are some HPS specs
    70w(90Watts actual)- 6000Lumen 67Lumen/Watt
    100w(124Watts actual)- 9500Lumen 76Lumen/Watt
    150w(199Watts actual)- 15000Lumen 76Lumen/Watt
    250w(300Watts actual)- 29000Lumen 97Lumen/Watt
    400w(468Watts actual)- 50000Lumen 107Lumen/Watt
    600w(660Watts actual)- 90000Lumen 136Lumen/Watt
    1000w(1140Watts actual)- 140000Lumen 140Lumen/Watt

Cfl's aren't really meant for medium to larger grow ops, but they have very useful places like smaller grow ops, vegging, mothers, cloning, etc.
    You aren't really getting anymore efficient unless you get a 250w hps or higher.

Keeping that in mind, I feel that cfls could be a wise option for many growers out there not wanting a large scale op or spending hundreds on an hps,ballast,hood, and fans/ducting to a/c your hood. I have a 150w hps, actually 199w, 16k lumens. With 8 cfls using 208w i can get 14k lumens. Yes on paper the more watts/less lumens looks bad. But think about the footprint, that 16k lumens from the hps was struggling to veg 2 healthy plants in my 2x4 tent. The 14k lumens of cfl had no problem vegging 3 or 4 plants and keeps the tent cooler.

If you don't a/c your hoods, you will not be able to use those valuable lumens we worked so hard for because it will force you to keep the light higher above the canpoy. My CFLs can be strung throughout the grow room and kept 1-4 inches away.

I look at it this way. HPS's should be air cooled. Thats major $$$ right there. Were talking bulbs,ballest,hoods,fans,ducting,etc

With just the $70 I spent on that 150w hps i never use. I could of built TWO of my 12 bulb fixtures. Can use daylight bulbs for veg and soft white for flowering or mixed spectrums.

I don't know, different strokes for different folks.
    Don't get me wrong, you can't compete with those high watt hps's. But those aren't for everyone. Heres a great alternative. Or just a great veg/mother/supplemental fixture.
    I've seen plenty of journals using halogens/floodlights/ or a cfl per plant, so if this helps any plants or growers I would feel like my time was well spent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluegil View Post
    home depot sells a 68 watt cfl 2700k bulb they say is the same as a 300 watt hps. i use 4 in my flower box!! they work great
    yeah i have a couple of those bulbs they work great, the plants love them in flower. very soft, warm light.

but they are nowhere near a 300w HPS output, i think you are looking at the watt equivalent of an incandescent bulb, which are probably the least efficient bulbs around. HPS are actually more efficient than fluorescent, for instance if you have 300 watts of CFL's you'd have the same or fewer lumens than a 250w HPS. metal halides are even more efficient. theres lots of info on these boards about the topic. its confusing to me that the more efficient bulbs kick out so much more heat, but that's what the data shows.

Post Thanks / Like

So even if a 250 watt draw 300 watts of electricity you still are going to save money. because the 12 27 watt cfls draw 324 watts with 4000 less lumens than the HPS bulb. you are still going to better efficiency from the HPS.
    I have switched from using CFLS to a combination of a 70 watt HPS and a 70 watt MH for a total of 140 watts or by the scale you provided 180 watts with the ballast. I am getting 12100 lumens from these two bulb. the HPS is 6300 lumens and the MH is 5800 lumens. Before I switched to these lights I was using 245 watts of cfls and only getting 13460 lumens between all the bulbs I had in the box. They still generated a lot of heat and if my leaves or buds touched the lights the would leave burn marks on them.
    With the HIDs the temperature in my grow space has dropped and I can keep the lights about 3 to 5 inches away from the plant.

Post Thanks / Like

High Intensity Discharge (H.I.D.) bulbs including Metal Halide (MH) and High Pressure Sodium (HPS) emit light from a very small source - a two to four inch arc tube inside the bulb. The light is very intense and needs to be spread across the entire garden from this one small point of light. So, not matter how efficient the reflector, bulb, ballast, or power consumption, the light still has to travel a distance from the arc tube and across the garden losing light intensity along the way.

Even though you have 4,000 more lumens, your footprint for optimal coverage is very limited, meaning you have to rely on your hood to disperse the light in a larger, even footprint. One large light source is not necessarily as efficient as several smaller sources.

It varies on your growing style as well. I like to veg longer for fewer large plants. You want more light in flower if possible obviously since this is where most the magic happens. I would have trouble even vegging my plants with anything less than a 250w, hell I don't even know if the 250w would be adequate. I looked it up, and the optimal area coverage for a 250w is 2'x2'. That being said, a 250w would be cutting it close in my 2x4 tent. While I can string CFL's throughout and keep adding or subtracting bulbs for increased plants or to lower temp. Basically I'm saying CFL's are a cheaper alternative while still providing pretty good results and suit my needs perfectly at this point in time. I don't flower with cfls, I take advantage of the sun. But I do veg with daylight cfls and maybe will make an upgrade to a 600w mh sometime in the future.

How has your growth been since you made the change ? Efficiency can't just be determined by your extra lumens. I take into consideration, cost of initial purchase, cost to run lights/ventilation, and most importantly plant growth.

I have spent about $100 total if not less and can effectively Veg 12+ plants in 1 Gals. In order to do that with hps, I'd be looking at a cost I can't afford right now and I'm sure some others are in the same boat. Not saying cfls are game changers, Just very helpful tools that have their places.
    PhilPebbles liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned4daze61 View Post
    bluegil a 68w isn't even close to a 300w hps. Thats salespeople and their wattage equivalent bullshit.

Excited you are correct however you forget about the ballast. Tests show a 150w hps actually draws 199w.

Here are some HPS specs

Cfl's aren't really meant for medium to larger grow ops, but they have very useful places like smaller grow ops, vegging, mothers, cloning, etc.
    You aren't really getting anymore efficient unless you get a 250w hps or higher.

Keeping that in mind, I feel that cfls could be a wise option for many growers out there not wanting a large scale op or spending hundreds on an hps,ballast,hood, and fans/ducting to a/c your hood. I have a 150w hps, actually 199w, 16k lumens. With 8 cfls using 208w i can get 14k lumens. Yes on paper the more watts/less lumens looks bad. But think about the footprint, that 16k lumens from the hps was struggling to veg 2 healthy plants in my 2x4 tent. The 14k lumens of cfl had no problem vegging 3 or 4 plants and keeps the tent cooler.

If you don't a/c your hoods, you will not be able to use those valuable lumens we worked so hard for because it will force you to keep the light higher above the canpoy. My CFLs can be strung throughout the grow room and kept 1-4 inches away.

I look at it this way. HPS's should be air cooled. Thats major $$$ right there. Were talking bulbs,ballest,hoods,fans,ducting,etc

With just the $70 I spent on that 150w hps i never use. I could of built TWO of my 12 bulb fixtures. Can use daylight bulbs for veg and soft white for flowering or mixed spectrums.

Don't get me wrong, you can't compete with those high watt hps's. But those aren't for everyone. Heres a great alternative. Or just a great veg/mother/supplemental fixture.
    I've seen plenty of journals using halogens/floodlights/ or a cfl per plant, so if this helps any plants or growers I would feel like my time was well spent.
    i was going off what i thought the box said!! it dose say i get 4800 lummens per bulb,so that 19200 lummens in a 2 by 3 by 5 space. i dont really know shit about all the aspects of different lights.i just know i have no way to control that kind of heat,so cfls is it. i think i get great little buds with steller highs and taste so until they make it legal its cfls.i would like to throw one of those new led set ups in there just to see!!

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

all got to start somewhere
    Stoned4daze61, dadums liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned4daze61 View Post

Here are some HPS specs

I'm with ya! Great DIY set up. Honestly I will probably only use CFL'S and T5's. Its not perfect for large grows but I stick to Autos.
    Spring2012

Current Grow! ( in Progress) Blue Mystics and Freinds!! http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...ome-again.html

Link to my First Grow (Complete) All Auto Fems under T8's and CFLs, Inside Soil http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...oset-grow.html

Second grow (complete) Auto Bomb and Big Bang Auto
    http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...bang-auto.html

Springs 3rd grow CFL ( 600 watt hps ) 4 strains, FFOF Soil, Indoor tent (Complete).
    http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...door-tent.html

Spring's Obviouas/Stealth Grow #4 ( Completed )
    http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...alth-grow.html

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are my girls under my DIY CFL setup..im just in the 1st week of flower after 5 weeks of veg.. all CFL
    Quote Originally Posted by Box of Rain View Post
    I have heard that the majority of the light you want comes out of the sides of the bulb not the ends. Do you have enojgh room to turn the y's so that your bulbs are horizontal?

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is another pic lookin up into my closet and todays shot of aall the little buttons that popped

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BBQTony View Post
    Here is another pic lookin up into my closet and todays shot of aall the little buttons that popped

Looks great!! Any heat issues? How do you ventilate?
    Spring2012

Current Grow! ( in Progress) Blue Mystics and Freinds!! http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...ome-again.html

Link to my First Grow (Complete) All Auto Fems under T8's and CFLs, Inside Soil http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...oset-grow.html

Second grow (complete) Auto Bomb and Big Bang Auto
    http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...bang-auto.html

Springs 3rd grow CFL ( 600 watt hps ) 4 strains, FFOF Soil, Indoor tent (Complete).
    http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...door-tent.html

Spring's Obviouas/Stealth Grow #4 ( Completed )
    http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...alth-grow.html

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just leave closet door open...no heat issues at all...80-84 when lights r on..78 when off

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No heat problems at all

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12