Giving back- DIY advice for grow room construction.

GreenChrome

Hey 420 friends. I am starting this thread to help out with your grow room construction questions. Framing? drywall? Hanging a door? etc. Let me know what you are trying to accomplish and I will give you my best ideas, solutions, and advice. We can figure out your list of supplies, plans, and the best way to meet your goals.

I have gained so much knowledge from this site, I want to give back by teaching what I know. Ask your construction questions here and we will have you growing in no time!

My room is 2x4 frame, and now that I've got the 'bugs' out of the system, I'd like to install a door that swings inward into the room. Have any plans?
Thanks in advance.
raidr

I took a couple old hinges from doors I replaced, and cut plywood to fit inside the frame. To keep it from going to far back I used 1x1's as a lip to both seal and hold the door steady. Once it was in place, I put the plywood in its spot, temporarily shimmed the bottom up a hair, and screwed the hinges to the door and the frame. Then took out the shim and it works perfectly. This will work for both inside and outside swings, but you may need to mount your latch a bit differently.

raidr said:
My room is 2x4 frame, and now that I've got the 'bugs' out of the system, I'd like to install a door that swings inward into the room. Have any plans?
Thanks in advance.
raidr

Can I ask why inward? That takes up space that could be used for other things, kinda. Just curious.

I took a couple old hinges from doors I replaced, and cut plywood to fit inside the frame. To keep it from going to far back I used 1x1's as a lip to both seal and hold the door steady. Once it was in place, I put the plywood in its spot, temporarily shimmed the bottom up a hair, and screwed the hinges to the door and the frame. Then took out the shim and it works perfectly. This will work for both inside and outside swings, but you may need to mount your latch a bit differently.
It would be faster and much easier for someone that is not good @ DIY to just use a prehung door, instead of making one. Plus they are fairly cheap @ $50. Dont ya think?

I made my door for less than $5, and I think it is a balance between time and skill. If you have the cash and dont mind spending it, get the prehung. But I would rather take the extra 10 to 15 minutes and save myself a trip as well as the $.

Great idea for a thread, some people are not as handy with tools or have knowledge of basic construction, electrical, plumbing, hvac and such....it's nice to help a brother or sister out.....especially when it comes to :yummy:

I made my door for less than $5, and I think it is a balance between time and skill. If you have the cash and dont mind spending it, get the prehung. But I would rather take the extra 10 to 15 minutes and save myself a trip as well as the $.
You made your door for less then $5 because you already had the stuff but if you didnt have the plywood already it would of been much more. Probably close to $50. A sheet of 1/2" plywood cost $20, set of hinges $5, door frame material (3- 1x4x8's $10 each). Right there is $55.. So if you dont have the stuff laying around already, making one is more expensive and more time consuming.

Its great that you built your own door with scrap you had laying around but a pre-hung door install for someone who has never even hung a door before is enough of a hassle to properly install, let alone make one.

Can I ask why inward? That takes up space that could be used for other things, kinda. Just curious.

This is an old (1858) house. I made my (2) rooms, each 6x8 inside a larger room on the 3rd floor. Due to the fact of 'Other' people nearby and on the 2nd floor, I felt safer if I made a large airtight box inside the room and ran an inline fan into the convenient chimney in the room to create a negative pressure from the 'box' constantly exiting into the chimney and out at 35 feet off the ground. You can't smell a thing outside the room, and when you open the door, 2 feet in front of you is the 8x12 plastic framed box divided into 2 rooms. Works great so far, but it's getting warmer & I hope the air conditioner in the only window will be able to handle the heat. The veg room has plenty of room and I'll open the bud room door backwards into the veg room. For the past 9 weeks I've been sidestepping between plastic walls and the doors will be great now that I'm satisfied with the layout. Thanks for asking.

raidr you can get zippers for plastic sheeting. They work great just take your time sticking them on. I got a 2 pack for construction dust barriers. Hope you're light tight on the bud room:smokin:

Are the zippers light tight? If so that would work fine!
On the light-tight budroom:thumb: Presently, I enter the main room and can walk around 3 sides with 2.5 ft between grow box and walls. 4th side is against wall with window. I've been entering from the side walls so far. I want to: open door to main room, step 2 ft, push open into veg room, keep going across 6 ft and pull door into flower room which abuts the ouside wall with airconditioner in blacked out window. The doors I want only have to be 2ft wide and 5 ft tall. In one corner of the bud room (because it has the air conditioner/dehumidifier) I made a sealed 2x2 drying room w/rack, the cooler/dryer air slowly moves through it, then into the veg room to help cool it. I'm just not sure the AC will be able to keep it all cool enough for the whole summer. I may have to be a 9 month grower: Oct-June. That woud suck because what would I do with the hydro mother plants during down time. Right now I've been flushing the 12 California Dream for a week just waiting for the first amber trichs. I have 21 fem clones waiting to go in from 6 in to 1 ft tall so I'm going for it. If it doesn't work because of heat, I still have 5 seeds left for the fall.

Back
Top Bottom