DIY Duct silencer/muffler: super cheap

Greenhouse250

If you google diy silencer you will find a very nice project that will rival the purchased ones. I'm all about diy'in with what's on hand. The first one i made cost me nothing but time. This one i purchased some chicken wire for 5.99$ and that was all i needed. This really does work to cut the decibels in half. I'm using insulation for the sound dampening materiel. If your exhausting in the house, then you will want to use polyfil batting for the queen size at a local arts and crafts shop. Comes in various sizes. The queen is enough for one 8 inch, or one 6 inch with some left over.

-Tools and supplies
DSC0001814.JPG

-chiken wire 2"x24"x25'
DSC0002013.JPG

-Two used 5gallon paint buckets, free from a friend
DSC0002113.JPG

DSC0002211.JPG

-wire inserts, made them by rapping the chicken wire around a 1 gallon paint can (two raps)
DSC000248.JPG

DSC0002311.JPG

-two bats of R12 insulation, you will only use 3/4 of a bat per bucket
DSC000255.JPG

-outline the size hole you will need, cut mine to 6.5" for 6" duct
DSC000266.JPG

-drill holes for saw blade
DSC000287.JPG

-cut holes out
DSC000299.JPG

-remove handles
DSC0003012.JPG

-now you rap the 3/4 bat around the chicken wire and insert it into the bucket
DSC0003210.JPG

-here's the first one ready
DSC0003317.JPG

-the second bucket will only need about 6"-8"of chiken wire added to the first one.
DSC0003411.JPG

DSC0003612.JPG

-the two half together
DSC0003711.JPG

DSC0004018.JPG

-size
DSC0004216.JPG

DSC0004312.JPG

-tape the two half's together and your done! my total cost 5.99$ muhahaha
DSC0004720.JPG

Thanks Bro! i was still uploading pics when you posted.lol I think i did ok for my first how to, plus it really works good.. for CHEAP!!

Awesome DIY!
I was going to buy one for my room, but after seeing this I might just make one.
$75.00 vs $5.99??
yeah, no brainer here..

Thanks bro!

Awesome DIY!
I was going to buy one for my room, but after seeing this I might just make one.
$75.00 vs $5.99??
yeah, no brainer here..

Thanks bro!

Thx!! yes it is a no brainer... but your cost will be a bit more if you don't have buckets or insulation. An option for buckets is to go to a deli or restaurant ask for used food grade buckets. A cheap option for the sound batting would be to get an old quilt and take it apart maybe? just shooting some ideas at you...:Namaste::peace:

I've got the buckets and chicken wire, just gotta scrounge up some insulation.
Like you said, rip up and old quilt maybe, that's a good idea!
thanks again!

@Greenhouse250
Thx!! yes it is a no brainer... but your cost will be a bit more if you don't have buckets or insulation. An option for buckets is to go to a deli or restaurant ask for used food grade buckets. A cheap option for the sound batting would be to get an old quilt and take it apart maybe? just shooting some ideas at you...:Namaste::peace:

Nice muffler you made .. congratz. Just one question .. is it safe to have that fiber glass in direct contact with the exhaust air you are throwing into your own room ? .. i ask because im thinking of doing something simillar ... but not sure i would risk sending glass/wool particles in my room : /

@Greenhouse250

Nice muffler you made .. congratz. Just one question .. is it safe to have that fiber glass in direct contact with the exhaust air you are throwing into your own room ? .. i ask because im thinking of doing something simillar ... but not sure i would risk sending glass/wool particles in my room : /
This is an eight year old thread so not sure the op will answer. My self I think you have a good point so quilt batting would be a much safer bet.

Back
Top Bottom