Mountaingoat's stealth PC grow box in less than 20 steps

mountaingoat

Hello all fellow growers here is a small guide on how to build your very own stealh pc grow box. There are not too many pictures but check this thread Mountaingoats Stealth CFL PC-GrowBox out for a more pictorial guide.

Here we go

Shopping list for PC grow box
- 1x PC tower

- 1x PC fan medium sized (For passive air circulation)

- 1x Can of clear white spray paint (Reflection)

- 1x Can of clear coating spray paint (Seal and increase reflection)

- 1x Co2 filter material (Remove smells)

- 2x standard e27 light fixture with cords

- 2x pots for growing in about 2 liters (whatever fits inside and leaves grow space)

- 2x Grow fixtures (this depending on how you want to grow scrog is highly suggested)

- 2x LED full spectrum light bulbs

- 1x timer

- 1x multi socket plug

- 1x old phone charger (to power PC fan)

- 1x roll of duct tape

- 1x Sand paper for inside of PC in order to make the paint stick (use a medium to fine level of sand paper)

- 1x Rubbing alcohol (about 250 ml)

- 2x Seeds

- 1x Soil (so many options of soil so just get whatever is available preferably a soil with good draining (perlite) qualities many options available an example is the -->)
compo-sana-universal-20l.jpg

How to build the box

1. Start by stripping the PC of all of its content.

2. Drill holes for the light fixtures in the roof of the PC.

3. Seal up the PC with duct tape so that there is one space for the "PC fan" and half the size of air intake on the other side of the PC. This is done in order to create a passive air flow throughout the PC. Hence there should be air flow holes on each side of the PC. Most PC´s already have this set-up so utilize this and just reduce the passive air intake with duct tape.

4. Use the "sand paper" on the entire inside of the PC in order to make the paint stick.

5. Clean the inside of the PC with "rubbing alcohol" and let it dry out.

6. Spray paint entire inside of PC with the "clear white spray paint" and let it dry.

7. Spray paint entire inside of PC with the "clear coating spray paint" and let it dry.

8. Attach the "standard e27 light fixture with cords" to the roof of the PC and make sure to make the wiring is directed to the back of the PC through a hole (this to maintain the "stealthyness" of the PC).

9. Screw in the "LED full spectrum light bulbs" (other lights such as normal CFL´s works too, the reason for the use of LED is the low heat output and energy efficiency. Also the reason for using full spectrum is the fact that there is no need to change bulbs when flowering the plants).

10. Cut the wiring of the "phone charger" and connect it with the wiring of the "PC fan" usually black to black and red to red. If no colors are indicated on the wiring just do some trial and error to see which makes the fan spin.

11. Mount the "PC fan" on the designated spot. Usually located on the back of the PC.

12. Add the "Co2 filter material" on the back of the "PC FAN" to remove smells.

13. Connect the "PC fan" and the "standard e27 light fixture with cords" to the "multi socket plug". Make sure all systems are go.

14. Place the "timer" at the end of the "multi socket plug" in order to be able to set light timers, search for light schedules a suggestion is the GLR (Gas Lantern Routine) light schedule.

15. Place the "Grow fixtures" such as tomato cages into the pots.
IMG_124313.JPG

16. Plant the seeds about a thumb nail down into the soil, then cover it up.

17. Add water.

18. Enjoy your very own stealth PC grow box.

Here is an example of how it could look:
CFL PC grow box with mylar used instead of paint as an reflective.

IMG_035119.JPG

LED grow box with mylar.

IMG_084215.JPG

Thats it for me enjoy your growing! :thumb::thanks:

Here is the guide in a PDF format Shopping list for PC grow box.pdf download - 2shared

Thanks its a nice little side thing to do if you don´t wanna spend a fortune or a ton of time and still be able to grow. Or if you don't have the space.

:thanks:

Cool little project. I want to see it with buds inside!

This idea brings a bunch of questions to mind...
How do you manage smell? This is stealth right? Even with a tiny little plant, it will smell.
Where do you get your plants? Seeds? No room for a mother, but I guess you could use femmed seeds.
How do you solve those light leaks? Seems to me the stealth would be compromised if people saw a PC with light coming out of it.

I'm guessing the intent here is to have a grow box "hidden in plain site". I love that idea! I just don't see how you could keep it secret. Maybe if the goal is to camouflage it to a casual glance, it would be fine.

Don't take this as a criticism my sure footed friend. I'm intrigued and want to know how you solve these problems. :Namaste:

Well with smell I used a co2 filter mounted on the back covering the PC fan- a flat filter was used.

With the light, most PC-s are surprisingly tight and just by covering with tape or whatever you can use most of the light is gone most of the ones that have been built are very much in plain sight and people have no idea.

Afraid I couldnt say havent personally fully tested it. But did have some friends that got them built try it and its good for a personal stash however these friends have no clue what they are doing just calls me up for mixing nutes and PHíng water so probably the smallest yeilds ever lemme check out some numbers.

Guys sorry to res an old thread but Im building one of these at the moment and the only lights I can get my hands on are 180w led's. CAn someone tell me if these are going to be too strong?

What is the size of the cab you are going to be working with Henry? :blunt:

Hi CA215 - Ive already built my box. But would still like your advice. The dimensions are 50cm x 20cm x 40cm.

Ive put in 2 x 50 w led lights. Will this be too much?

Im going to take some photos and journal my build/grow results on a thread tonight when I get home. But in short I will be growing a feminised auto strain in a 4L pot with the 2x50w full spectrum leds. Do you think this is overkill?

I'll update this post with a link to my journal thread once Ive created it.

Again many thanks!

Back
Top Bottom