DIY Carbon Filter for Cabinet

MagicJim

Creme de la Creme Photos: Sept 2016
I have some regrets about buying the cabinet I installed about a week ago. It's tiny and really needs some type of small scrubber. I set out to see if I could correct this. The cabinet has an exhaust fan similar to a PC fan. I moves some air.

I bought some ultra-activated carbon and filters designed for fish tanks. I used a plastic flour board to build a square housing that would surround the fan and hold the filter. Some measurements, marks, cuts, gluing and staples allowed for a fairly nice housing. This was fitted around the fan and attached with some metal tape. Time will tell if it works and doesn't create a temperature issue. Jim
Before pic and the product
IMG_098326.JPG
IMG_098829.JPG

Measure, design and crease the folds
IMG_097925.JPG
IMG_098028.JPG

Some metal tape and install
IMG_098429.JPG
IMG_098525.JPG

The carbon and add to filter
IMG_098128.JPG
IMG_098222.JPG

Stuff filter into housing
IMG_098622.JPG

Sweet Jim! Had to hit you with reps for that. I have a bookmark on my iPad for one that's a can-style and uses the pet odor furnace filter pads. They could be cut down to fit that arrangement too.

These types of things are so valuable to new growers. Great share and great ingenuity, you wonderfully creative and resourceful man.:battingeyelashes:

Have you seen the one that uses a bag of grilling charcoal? You run the vent hose right into the bag of charcoal and it kills the smell. It's worth a look see just to be amazed at his resourcefulness.

So many options Jim. :laughtwo:

MagicJim,

Nice job using your imagination! I made several homemade contraptions to scrub the exhaust air from my cabinet. I wish I could report a full blown success, but the volume of air was too low (physics dictates that the air be sucked out, not blown out, and most fans are designed to blow, not suck) and my fans just weren't adequate to create static pressure inside the cabinet or tent. also the volume of activated carbon I tried was not enough, and when I added enough, the fans couldn't deliver enough suck. I did spend too much on my homemade "solutions", but it was the journey not the destination that I enjoyed. I ended up buying a manufactured scrubber since the odor was unrelenting and that truly solved the problem. I did try the charcoal bag solution, but I didn't have success with that method, it was still skunky! I assume some strains are less odoriferous, but I seem to pick everything extra stanky! I do have to change the carbon about every 12 to 18 months, but it's money well spent!

I hope your scrubber rig meets your needs and satisfies your requirements! Good job!!!

:goodjob:
Best of Buds
JB

Sweet Jim! Had to hit you with reps for that.

Thanks SweetSue.

MagicJim,

Nice job using your imagination!

I hope your scrubber rig meets your needs and satisfies your requirements! Good job!!!

Thanks for the information JB. The jury's still out but for one day it has worked and last checked temperature was 84F. Jim

Back
Top Bottom