Help Wiring Light Sockets!

FiveToMidnight

Hi guys,

This is probably a pretty easy thing but I'm just a bit confused.

I have 0.75MM Flexi Cord

P9152295.JPG

A normal Aussie 3 pin plug

P9152296.JPG
P9152297.JPG

and light socket that only has two pins

P9152293.JPG
P9152294.JPG

So I know how to connect the cable to the 3 pin plug but can someone explain where the earth goes on the socket? Or do I not need it?

In the US most modern lamps only have two wires. Positive and Neutral. Ones with a third or Ground wire would have it going to any part of the metal that may be touched. It is not used to run the light. Just for safety of the user from a short.

In the US most modern lamps only have two wires. Positive and Neutral. Ones with a third or Ground wire would have it going to any part of the metal that may be touched. It is not used to run the light. Just for safety of the user from a short.

Thank's a lot! :Namaste:

Just put the green wire on the green screw of the plug and the other two on the other two screws. The green/ground, wire is usually attached to the body of the device you are powering for safety but just don't use it when you wire the socket on and you're good to go.

Here our wires are green, black, white with black being power and white neutral. Just google "australian house wiring to figure out which is which for yours. Doesn't matter for something simple like a bulb but may for many electronic devices.

L8r

Just put the green wire on the green screw of the plug and the other two on the other two screws. The green/ground, wire is usually attached to the body of the device you are powering for safety but just don't use it when you wire the socket on and you're good to go.

Here our wires are green, black, white with black being power and white neutral. Just google "australian house wiring to figure out which is which for yours. Doesn't matter for something simple like a bulb but may for many electronic devices.

L8r

Thanks mate, always appreciate your advice.
I ended up just not connecting the green (earth) wire to anything and it seems to be ok. I found a sparky at work that said it was ok so we should be good.

Actually , if you reverse the polarity of the socket, it will work, but it will also still be hot if the socket switch is off. Normally the tab at the bottom is always hot, reversed, the screw cup is hot, always, and will shock you if you touch it. Here the lamp connections are colored along with the wires so you know positive and neutral and how to wire them correctly. Colored or ribbed wire =neutral, smooth wire hot. At the socket, over here, the hot connection is colored, and the neutral connection is bare metal (silver). So ya might want to double check the colors of the connections so you don't get surprised.

I know this is old news but dont understand above post. You cant cross polarity a light and get heat issues anywhere. You run lights by opening the circuit and closing the circuit.

THE GREEN RACER.

If the appliance has a earth wire buy a plug that has an earth pin, don't run the risk of death for 12$ I'm a fellow Aussie and I lost a close mate due to his bosses incompetence he was a sparky, it happens.

Back
Top Bottom