DIY LED repair - Replacement photo tutorial

kelticBlue

Hi all
this is my first attempt at a DIY.
I needed to replace 4 lights on my reflector 96x5, blue ones. My tent got pretty hot last year and they may have suffered.
The manufacturer was kind enough to send me replacement ones.

Disclaimer:
This job will take a little mechanical aptitude but is not overly hard. But you need to solder the diode into the board. Practice safe working habits and take your time.
This may damage your light only attempt if you have a back up plan for lighting and are prepared to muck up your light. I am not suggesting you do this just documenting what i did. And I have not been a teacher in a very long time, any help is warmly received. I took me over 2 hours from light out of tent to back into tent.

So first a little about me. Once upon a time, about 30 years ago, I went to a technical school where they taught us to take apart and put back together lots of different things.
As such I once had a great set of tools not so much any more. So first i will give a look at some of the tools I used, not pictured is the arctic silver paste and a small handheld phillips-head screwdriver.
And I wish I had a better solder iron but this will do.

CIMG03731.jpg

Next have a look at the light in the tent, the 4 blue diodes with the arrows. those are our subjects.
CIMG03432.jpg

here is what the replacement diodes look like. If the positive and negative are not marked on side has a different attachment tab which I matched up with the diode I removed for proper polarity. So make a note of what the diode your remove looks like when attached.

in the package diodes and resistors
CIMG0365.jpg
back side of diode, positive side on right.
CIMG01582.jpg

negative side on left. this will be important later
CIMG01541.jpg

target diodes are circled
CIMG03611.jpg
CIMG03601.jpg

right so un-plug the electric and turn the switches off.
Place on a soft surface, I did reflector down, and remove 10 screws 3 on each long side and two on the shorter sides.
Have a place to keep all the screws and parts as you go.
CIMG0363x.jpg

CIMG0366x.jpg

Next we want to separate the case so we can disconnect the (in my case) 3 drivers. Carfeul of the wires attached dont open with too much force.

CIMG0367x.jpg
drivers A B C two fans I left the power switches wires connected and disconnected the drivers wires, also in the picture the heat sinks.
CIMG0377x.jpg

The driver wires are snug into the case next to the drivers. You need to cut the plastic tie first, then press the plastic lever to separate the connection.
note the driver and wire are labeled A, B and C for easy reconnection.
CIMG03701.jpg
disconnet the drivers. cut the plastic zip tie.
CIMG0374x.jpg
then press the latch on the plastic connector and pull
CIMG0376x.jpg

disconnected
CIMG03752.jpg

Now what I will call the first hard part. you have to remove the reflector panels on the front of the light. These are attached with little tiny plastic screws and nuts. 4 each
They run all along the sides of the heat sinks. I didn't know they were phillips head screws because the have a silver sticker cover over the head of the screws. I found out eventually.
It took some time for me to remove them mostly by hand. They are annoying and small.
Now remove the reflector panels you need not remove any where you are not replacing any diodes.
the screw head are on the reflector side.
CIMG0372x.jpg

little screw and nut removed
CIMG0378x.jpg

panels removed, surface board revealed. problem diodes.
CIMG03831.jpg

the next hard part, use the solder iron to remove the diode.
Sorry i didn't take any good pictures of the removal of the diode or replacement solder on. It is hard when you got a hot solder iron to deal with.
So advice, try to use only the solder that is already there on the board don't add more (less is more in this case). I had to add solder in two instances out of 8 solder connections. Just use very very little. Try not to over heat the board, you can see the dis-coloration where I was getting too hot for too long while removing the diodes. A good solder iron is helpful. Research 'how to solder'
When removing the diode, heat the attachment arm and use a lateral force parallel to the board to knock the light out of the solder joint leaving as much solder remain as you can.
When you replace the diode put a very small amount of thermal paste on the bottom of it, so it is flush with the board. These are surface mounted diodes they need good contact with the board for even cooling.

Here in the circle you can see after i removed the light. On the right, positive side a little brown discoloration from too much heat. Also note the remaining solder is enough to attach the new light. I heat the attachment arm of the light up then heat the solder then insert the arm into the solder joint of the light heating while i go. remeber the just a little thermal paste on the back of the light where it sits flush on the board, in the inner circle
CIMG03851.jpg

Here is the final picture you can see one diode is still not working, it needed a touch of added solder and better placement in the solder joint and now works fine. So remember to test it before you reassemble it. get the light flush with the board and dont add too much extra solder

CIMG03871.jpg

That is about all I can remember for now, Any questions, comments or concerns?

Good job there KB - hint about the solder iron and removing solder. Use some solder wick and remove all the solder from the pad - the solder wick will keep you from burning off the solder pad/getting the solder pad too hot. Then replace old solder with new. I use solder wick but prefer a solder sucker.

The issue with the Chinese solder is it's lead free. The lead free solder is difficult to work with unless you have a solder iron with temp control/readout. The lead free solder needs more heat to get to working temps/workable. I'm not sure where you live but here in the USA we are not required to use lead free solder YET. I much prefer leaded solder, its MUCH easier to work with.

I better go check my Reflector lamps ... I use a bunch of them!

Thanks for the write up and tips ! :high-five:

Good job there KB - hint about the solder iron and removing solder. Use some solder wick and remove all the solder from the pad - the solder wick will keep you from burning off the solder pad/getting the solder pad too hot. Then replace old solder with new. I use solder wick but prefer a solder sucker. The issue with the Chinese solder is it's lead free. The lead free solder is difficult to work with unless you have a solder iron with temp control/readout. The lead free solder needs more heat to get to working temps/workable. I'm not sure where you live but here in the USA we are not required to use lead free solder YET. I much prefer leaded solder, its MUCH easier to work with. I better go check my Reflector lamps ... I use a bunch of them! Thanks for the write up and tips ! :high-five:
Excellent, Excellent, Excellent.

More tips and helpful hint. I had no idea about the lead free solder. I have only done home solder projects since I graduated tech school in 89. I wish I had my dad's old solder iron, i learned with that beast, it is probably 60-70 years old now, wonder where it is?

Any which way but....I think, I live about 3hours south of you via amtrack, in the rainy foggy humid mid-Atlantic. BB14...............So check the blue lights in your reflectors. And if you run into the dying of the light. Check the MH youtub channel they posted new videos this past week. No sound on the videos. But with my words and their vids, I think replacement of the light diode is not too hard. ( i need a better solder iron :)..)

Hi All

Here is a take apart video from Mars Hydro. Pretty much all you need to see and is what I did to get to the inside of my Reflector96 only the one in the video is a bigger version of the reflector. While watching the disconnection of the drivers, I make special notice of How the power switched are left connected with the reflector take apart. So the 2 halves have to be kept close together while working on it...

And Here is another for the un solder and re solder of the little lights. Again no audio in the video. But this is a good example of how to do it to it. I notice the de-solder technique, after you heat the solder joint you push the light parallel to the board not lift it up and it slides out of the way.

Hope it helps! :ciao:

Just curious but did the replacement diodes come with thermal past?? hope mine last forever but chances are some will need fixed eventually.

Thank you MrGreene :thanks:

Good to see you and let me know if ya have any questions about what I did. Not sure if I can answer them but I will try.

Do you know which color of blue is used in the mars lights? I found 445-450nm and 460-465nm 5w epistar chips on ebay and ordered both. I thought I will be able to see the color difference if I choose the wrong one first but maybe somebody knows which one is correct.

Hey kelticblue the resistors they sent you by chance you wouldn’t happen to know what to replace them with because mars hydro has stopped selling parts to these lights completely and tells you to order a new light
Has any ever used aliexpress they have 1,000 full spectrum 5 watt epistars for under $200 with shipping but are they legit

honestly i would not bother with a fixture of that vintage and tech.

i think you can get the diodes still though. and you can replace them. i just wouldn't do it or trust the rig at this point. i used to repair led rigs for a local shop as a side gig, and i wouldn't take that on.

Back
Top Bottom