[video=youtube;qkNxACJ9vPI]
[/video]

[video=youtube;_r5XvxVZtFo]
[/video]

You will need:
Two terracotta pots (2$)
Flat pebble (free)
Hot glue gun and glue (?)
Heat source for warming the clay up (10$)
Alcohol or soap to clean the glued surfaces (?)

P10001322.JPG

Glue the pebble to the bottom (clean first!):

P10001311.JPG

Yes I did use shell :)

P10001303.JPG

Clean and heat the pot's edges so that the glue stays hot. Apply one long line of a glue around. Heat up more when needed (be careful not to set the glue ablaze). Press firmly and check for leaks, I did run the glue all around once more for good measure.

P1000133.JPG

Installed next to my seedling:

P10001512.JPG

Done burying:

P10001673.JPG

After a week:

P10001783.JPG

Looking good so far.
Any suggestions welcomed, enjoy! :love: :Namaste:

Hello
:420:

I came across few videos and decided to give the ollas a try:

[video=youtube;qkNxACJ9vPI]
[/video]

[video=youtube;_r5XvxVZtFo]
[/video]

You will need:
Two terracotta pots (2$)
Flat pebble (free)
Hot glue gun and glue (?)
Heat source for warming the clay up (10$)
Alcohol or soap to clean the glued surfaces (?)

P10001322.JPG

Glue the pebble to the bottom (clean first!):

P10001311.JPG

Yes I did use shell :)

P10001303.JPG

Clean and heat the pot's edges so that the glue stays hot. Apply one long line of a glue around. Heat up more when needed (be careful not to set the glue ablaze). Press firmly and check for leaks, I did run the glue all around once more for good measure.

P1000133.JPG

Installed next to my seedling:

P10001512.JPG

Done burying:

P10001673.JPG

After a week:

P10001783.JPG

Looking good so far.
Any suggestions welcomed, enjoy! :love: :Namaste:
That is awesome!

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Would it not be easier to use silicone instead of glue?

I guess you can make use of silicone. Or gorilla glue. I dunno what else to use which can withstand the water and soil and do not leak toxic compounds. Some of the plastic glues do not make use of any solvent. Or some kind of resin or gum. Any usable glue suggestion is welcome, I'm no expert on that. I want to automate my ollas. Gravity fed from barrel higher than the ollas. Like a toilet reservoir. Thank you! :thanks: :love:

I reckon either would work, suppose what ever's easiest to get hold of.

Still a great idea, I'll be storing it for future use somewhere.

Easier than trying to put all my plants (not just weed) on SWICKS.

Cheers Tomula

:Namaste:

Thank you. I like it because it's cheap and can supply a lot of water when connected to reservoir. I want to learn how to make them myself, so I need no glue at all :) But right now I go with hot glue. Silicone can be a viable option too. Cheers to you too! :love: :Namaste:

I tried using various caulks and glues in an attempt to create a funny bottom on a pot.
After many tries with many substances, the only thing that worked in water was a marine sealant. Everything else failed over a short time. Even the supposedly waterproof window/door caulk failed.

Good point. What kind of water? I use plain water only. :thumb:

Thank you!

So I was testing how porous are the pots. They leak some (get wet) after few minutes. I will be on the lookout for some more porous pots. It is not enough right now to provide enough water for the seedling. I think that will be much better after she envelops the olla with roots. So I still water the top some. Also, hairdresser was in town :)

P10002023.JPG

nice idea,

google terracotta watering spikes
you put a bottle of water in them upside down. I never used them, but have seen them on line.

6 packs for $25 or less

Hello HH! I've seen those spikes, interesting take on the olla. I bet they would work nicely too. I like the olla because the roots will make huge ball around. I was just testing the olla and it was almost half empty, the girl is definitely drinking from it now :) So you need to provide extra water before she gets her roots bigger. Thank you.

P10002052.JPG

So after a week or so of extra top watering, she is drinking more from the olla already. You also need some air hole so you can fill the olla with tight fitting funnel. I also put root booster in with the water. Getting bigger, the leaves are very big:

P10002375.JPG

Lol. Just realised I could have saved a fortune if I did this instead of buying an Autopot system

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Lol. Just realised I could have saved a fortune if I did this instead of buying an Autopot system

Hello DeVille. I do not have this tried 100% but yes it is very cheap. Dollar and half for one ''vase''. I will try some automation with it when I got it really tested. The olla is small and the plant can drink like crazy sometimes, hehe. I bet bigger pots are no problem or two smaller ollas in one smartpot are possible too. I will be making big batch soon for the future use. Cheers! :love: :thumb: :Namaste:

So I did fill her some up, she drinks like third a cup per day so far :thumb: :love: :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom