DIY COB help

Slicknick909

After trying (and failing) a grow with a buddy's COB set up I am wanting to possibly build my own. His had 6 Vero 29 COBs and gave me not so pleasing results growing a dozen fem jack herer. I currently use 2 600w MH/HPS for veg/flower respectively. I am fortunate enough to have my whole guest room dedicated to growing and can pretty much mount in whatever style I want. I use 18x18" peel and stick tiles to designate where my plants go because I'm OCD like that. My ultimate goal is to have a dozen Vero 29 or CXB3590 (1 per plant) my first real question is if that will be an adequate amount of light. I am relatively skilled in DIY as far as building computers so I don't see myself being limited too much by skill. I am however quite confused about the many options available. I would like to use passive cooling (pin cushion style) because I have a ton of airflow and more than adequate cooling for the room. Am I better off sticking to what I know and continuing to burn through 4-8 bulbs a year, or is a properly sized COB set up really all it's cracked up to be? For the rough cost of drivers/COBs/heat sinks etc I could also buy 2 630w CMH fixtures so I'm in a bit of a pickle!!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

What chips was your buddy using? How many square feet were you trying to cover with the Vero's?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

He was using the Vero 29's, I have a 5x10 space in the room I use for my main area I'd like to cover, I just don't think 2 600w MH/HPS is giving me the best bang for the buck

Yikes.
Well. If I knew what chips (ie. BXRC-40E10K0-D-73) I'd know where you went wrong. But if you were trying to fill a 5x10 area with only 6 COBs I could see how that would yield poor results. You would need approximately 30 COBs to properly fill a 5x10 area.
1 cob per plant is not enough.

Holy cow! So I'm looking at about $2500-3000 for everything? I have a mini split already and the fans are pretty efficient so would I need active cooling? Or is passive going to be adequate? I need my darn Harley to sell so I can build my lights

Are the CXB3590 worth the extra coin? I don't plan to run more than about 45-55w each, especially with 30 of them!

A 5 x 10 requires 42 COBs. Spaced 12" from each other running at 37w each. You can cool passively.

I don't know about you but I can grow 50 plants in a 5 x 10.

Price list.
420-magazine-mobile1603901643.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1614793586.jpg
420-magazine-mobile918846125.jpg

Plus the drivers

420-magazine-mobile1635833386.jpg

After trying (and failing) a grow with a buddy's COB set up I am wanting to possibly build my own. His had 6 Vero 29 COBs and gave me not so pleasing results growing a dozen fem jack herer. I currently use 2 600w MH/HPS for veg/flower respectively. I am fortunate enough to have my whole guest room dedicated to growing and can pretty much mount in whatever style I want. I use 18x18" peel and stick tiles to designate where my plants go because I'm OCD like that. My ultimate goal is to have a dozen Vero 29 or CXB3590 (1 per plant) my first real question is if that will be an adequate amount of light. I am relatively skilled in DIY as far as building computers so I don't see myself being limited too much by skill. I am however quite confused about the many options available. I would like to use passive cooling (pin cushion style) because I have a ton of airflow and more than adequate cooling for the room. Am I better off sticking to what I know and continuing to burn through 4-8 bulbs a year, or is a properly sized COB set up really all it's cracked up to be? For the rough cost of drivers/COBs/heat sinks etc I could also buy 2 630w CMH fixtures so I'm in a bit of a pickle!!

You would need six 315w CMH to fill a 5x10 with 1000 micromoles per square foot.

If you want to lower the costs a bit there a guy on eBay with 24 L-73's left. Same COBs I use.
I bought seven off him for $14 each usingbthe "make an offer" feature. I'm sure he'd give you all 24 for $12-$14 each. That's less than half price.
420-magazine-mobile1673452306.jpg

Denver lighting is the guy's name. He's the only guy selling Vero 29 on eBay.

Why only go with 4000k cobs, i would do half with 3000k and other half with 4000k.

20/20 split up do a 5 cob square setups 4 .. 3000k in corners 4 and 4 .. 4000k in middle of square frame setup.

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User

4000 k is fine. Plants don't see kelvin. Look at the spectrum. Do you really need all that green on your plants?
420-magazine-mobile1823129802.jpg

4000 k is fine. Plants don't see kelvin. Look at the spectrum. Do you really need all that green on your plants?
420-magazine-mobile1823129802.jpg

Why have all that blue only good for vegging?

Red/Blue spectrum 3000k plus 4000k.

Either way i not care, i know what i would do.

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User

Back
Top Bottom