COB electrical question

mouser

It has been many years since my first/only class in electronics. Im hoping someone can answer this for me. Im trying to 'redo' a cheapo cob fixture bought on the rain forest that has died on me. Each COB has 2 36v/1.2a drivers hooked up to it in parallel. Does this result in 36vdc at 2.4a, or 72vdc at 1.2a? As a bonus question, is there a Meanwell ELG series that would do better? I will be driving Vero29s (36.8vdc)

20170123_174918.jpg

View image in gallery

If you run the BXRC-40E10K0-D-73 chip you could run with 1 driver per chip but the problem is your drivers say 28-36v. You can hope they will push slightly more then 36v because at 36v the chip would only run about 1300ma at 36v so only 46w per chip...No good because it's a 37.7v chip and it cant hit that anyways because your driver is only 1200ma so maybe 44w per chip.
You could use a meanwell for sure. Then you could run any wattage you want at the turn of a dial.

Another option would be to use 36v chips. The CXB3590 is a 36v chip and with your driver would run at about 50-55w each. Not bad but not great either.

I would look at a meanwell driver to be quite honest. For 2 of the veros mentioned above the Meanwell ELG-150-C1750B would be a great choice. It would run those chips anywhere from 0-70W each or so at the turn of a dial.

Keep in mind. Upgrading to a better driver you will only need the 1 driver and your 2 vero's will be wired in series then. Much better setup!
Or even better would be the Meanwell ELG-200-C2100B. That would run each chip from 0-82watts each. That would be really nice to have that option.

Im trying to 'redo' a cheapo cob fixture bought on the rain forest that has died on me. Each COB has 2 36v/1.2a drivers hooked up to it in parallel. Does this result in 36vdc at 2.4a, or 72vdc at 1.2a?

I'm pretty sure we have the same light.
Mine has the same drivers too.
I started a thread yesterday too lol.

I'm gonna use citizen cobs though.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G530T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I'm pretty sure we have the same light.
Mine has the same drivers too.
I started a thread yesterday too lol.

I'm gonna use citizen cobs though.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G530T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

No, his was a cob already. Different drivers too. Yours are 80-110v out. His are 28-36v out

Thank you very much for your help. I have 2 of these and they died within a week of eachother. Id just like something a tad more reliable.

Cheers :)
I hate the chips those come with. I've done par tests with them and par is not even half what a good chip will provide. You have a good base there to make yourself a light you would never want to let go of.

Back
Top Bottom