DIY 112w LED Bulb Panel 90,000LUX for $80.00

JimmyJames905

A short DIY on building a 112w, 90,000 Lux

You will need...
-A metal or plastic box approximately 13"x24"
-14 Lamp bases $1.49ea
-14 Philips 8w LED bulbs (5000k 60w equivalent)
-14 gauge wire. 14feet.
-self tapping screws for metal
-3 prong power cord.

Build your light fixture box or buy a Rubbermaid bin or any bin you like according to the size you want to make the light. I built mine on a metal brake from scrap.
aeb957be0ac5fa7fb6571ee1bf979e72.jpg
6b8c1efa9033e035af2a74961025e6ef.jpg
eb531d2150379756678b451efc442225.jpg

Build a rail system to hold the light sockets. The power connects from the back of the socket so it's a good idea to keep the socket bases away from the case. If using a Rubbermaid container, use 1x2 wood strapping. You can see here in another light I built that the rails keep the sockets an inch away from the metal back.
d846907e755571790d82d51387e00777.jpg

Begin wiring your bases in series. Black wire to brass, white wire to silver. As long as your black wires are all on only the brass terminals and your white wire is only on silver terminals you'll be fine.
Black to Brass, White to Bright.
c26ed5bd2e31b70c1674693db708845f.jpg

At the end of you series add your 3 prong power cord. If using a metal fixture case BE SURE TO ADD THE GROUND WIRE (GREEN) TO THE CASE WITH A SELF TAPPING SCREW AND WASHER.
d94fa44b49ac98248a2188bdea1fce0c.jpg

Add your bulbs and you're done
51e5ff4f85e1ee76cf3d6954299cdf66.jpg
. You can cut the domes off the led bulbs for greater brightness. You can use 40w, 60w or 100w equivalent led bulbs. Whatever is in your budget. The higher the bulb wattage the brighter it will be.
7f202648bb088ca6308bfbd703facbe2.jpg
912e9a3fb8996497c55366c8898f36a2.jpg

sorry to ask but im new to led lighting.
its this true? or just trooling?
because i want to do this.

thanks for your answer
best wishes from Chile!

Lux means very little in the scheme of things.
Illumination for plants, also known as "irradiance", is sometimes measured in PAR watts per square meter (W/m2). Another means of measuring light quantity for plant growth involves discrete units of quantum flux in the PAR region called "photons". Photon flux is commonly measured in units of micromoles per square meter per second (µmoles/m2/s), where 1 mole of photons = 6.022 x 1023 photons.

LED lighting is quite monochromatic compared to that of Standard HID, CMH or even Plasma. This is something to be very wary of.
Really do a check of the LED's phosphor output profile in the LED's data sheet to determine it's suitability. Large peaks of 500- 540nm are no good. One would ideally want those peaks to be in both the 400-470nm rage and the 590-700nm range.
~ also adding supplemental shortwave/medium wave UV helps increase the THC(A) production. Research is starting to show Cannabis protects itself by producing THC(A) to prevent sun damage and ward off predators.

Hope this helps you in choosing your setup/

i think watts it more important that LUX. on normal lights (hps and mH). on led i think PAR its more important.
anyway, i made one of this but with just 8 bulbs of 5 watts each. (40w total) for a small greenhouse of 1 meter x 0,6 meter. where i only keep 4 mothers on veg. and it work very good. i think that maybe works up to 8 mothers.

i dont know if this led bulbs can be used for floration. but for keeping the mothers and save some cash on the energy bill. works just fine.

i think watts it more important that LUX. on normal lights (hps and mH). on led i think PAR its more important.
anyway, i made one of this but with just 8 bulbs of 5 watts each. (40w total) for a small greenhouse of 1 meter x 0,6 meter. where i only keep 4 mothers on veg. and it work very good. i think that maybe works up to 8 mothers.

i dont know if this led bulbs can be used for floration. but for keeping the mothers and save some cash on the energy bill. works just fine.

Watts is just a measure of energy consumption VxI=W, again it's a mute point. Lumens would be more useful in this case.
If you really want to get into useful measures then PAR output or counting photon µmoles/m2/s) would be a better measurement .

despite if its a mute point or not. is easier to think in watts (for normal lights MH and hps) because i know that i will harvest aprox. 1gr/W
i dont know how many gr/par it will yield. and even if i know it, i dont have a PAR meter and that info doesnt came on all packages.

maybe for profesional growers. they look for par, spectrum, NM etc. but for beginners when it comes to buying lights is easiest to search watts. (Again only in hps and MH. when it comes to leds the things get complicated a bit so its easier to think in lux)

despite if its a mute point or not. is easier to think in watts (for normal lights MH and hps) because i know that i will harvest aprox. 1gr/W
i dont know how many gr/par it will yield. and even if i know it, i dont have a PAR meter and that info doesnt came on all packages.

maybe for profesional growers. they look for par, spectrum, NM etc. but for beginners when it comes to buying lights is easiest to search watts. (Again only in hps and MH. when it comes to leds the things get complicated a bit so its easier to think in lux)

If you want to see the PAR rating then you have to look at the manufacturer's website and or .pdf publication.
They have to disclose this information for industry if the product is to be used for growing.

As an example have a look at the CREE ds-CXB3590.pdf document below, and on p.10 you see a spectral report from individual tests. They may not use PAR, but if you look at the green range you can match it to the
% of total output. that's as useful as PAR.

https://www.cree.com/led-components/media/documents/ds-CXB3590.pdf

Back
Top Bottom