1000 Real Watts - LED Cobs 16x Vero29 SE

jimmyclone

Im finally starting my build, i have been lurking around at others projects for a while and tring to decide what i actually needed... Or wants vs needs... Had looked at timber, pacific lighting concepts, northen grow lights, etc, etc.. Then i stumbled onto "rapid led".. They had better prices, and actually had product in stock, imagine that.. As i was an electrician for 8 years before getting a cushy mill job, i decided i should build my own instead of paying someone else to do it.. So i through in my order to RAPIDLED and here we go..

16x Vero29 gen7's SE(poke in) 3500k-D
16x 140mm passive heatsinks
16x thermal pads
4x HLG 240-1750B
2x Incased pot's 0-10v
16x 3' pieces of angle aluminium
All needed hardware

I have been slowly putting together the frame over the past week as i have been waiting for the parts to arrive. The outter frame and reinforced angle corners are done. Had to wait on the heatsinks to have exact measurements before drilling those holes. Im not in a huge race to finish as i have about 2 or 3 weeks more to go on my current hps run... I will hopefully have 1 of the panels finished this week or next..

Ok, so the plan is 2 panels of 8 cobs each. Each panel will have 2x hlg240-1750's on it, powering 4 cobs each. So we should be right at 1000w.. Give or take.. These chips should run at about 37v at 1750ma, between 11,000-12,000lm's a pop. Around 64.75w per cob.. My plan is a 3-2-3 setup on each panel.

I run a 8x8 tent, but by no means fill it. I usually run 10 plants at a time. There is a center bar in the tent, so its like having a 4*8 on ethier side of the bar.. I only use about a 4*4 spot on ethier side of the bar for 5 plants... Right now i have 10 cramped under a 1000w hps.. Not very ideal... I have the largest hood they build, but still not good enough spread.. This setup should provide much more even coverage, 8 cobs per 5 plants.

I live in climate that is cold in the winter(-20 Celsius) and hot in the summer(25-30 Celsius), so hps was i big issue last year for summer. Way too hot.. Its great in the winter as i can reuse the heat in the house, so the hps might still get used for a month or 2 each winter.. Or mabe just take a winter break??? Hahaha.. Probably not.. I bought a plug in thermostat to regulate the exhaust fan in the tent, to keep tempetures ideal.. What a change it will be to not having the fan blasting 18hrs a day... Next post will be the pics..
Cheers everyone

Now for some pics,
420-magazine-mobile874370759.jpg
420-magazine-mobile351277506.jpg
420-magazine-mobile718315459.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1117245678.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2130754471.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1581404659.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1459558459.jpg
420-magazine-mobile556610769.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1959253859.jpg

Everything is bolted up, just some wiring, cob install and putting hangers on.
If you haven't seen the new vero se's you should take a look.. They cost a bit more, but no holders and no soldering.
420-magazine-mobile2127482633.jpg
420-magazine-mobile651276537.jpg

9 Or 10 CKS Trainwreck Autos - First Time - Topped - Soilless

I seen some new phytolite cree cobs with 12 osram diodes around them they monkey stomp my mars with the par data 85w each cluster of cob and leds. You can pick 1-9 clusters per light I'm gonna try to get one

I seen some new phytolite cree cobs with 12 osram diodes around them they monkey stomp my mars with the par data 85w each cluster of cob and leds. You can pick 1-9 clusters per light I'm gonna try to get one
Wow, cool, i am waiting for an allround COB Vero 29.7 3500K and an aluminum plate and build a light by almost same priciples. I dont have money for Osram LEDs at the moment, but i use Epistar 5W diodes and 3Channels. Veg channel with lot of mainly royal blue, white COB channel and Bloom channel with a lot of deep to hyperred and far red to infrared.

Nice to see there is a company going that way too. I hope to get a tight bushy plants with cob + veg channel and then really dense trichomy flowers from cob + bloom switch on.

Current Grow SeymoreNuggets Flowering Journal - Nebula & Atomical Haze - Soil - 2x3 - 420W DIY COB

My journey seeking the light. Found some
SeymoreNugget's DIY talk - Building lights - Sharing ideas

Hello jimmyclone,
Thanks for sharing your build with us. I plan on putting something together very similar. Im wondering how you like the poke in connections? Are you using the 22 awg wiring for this project? Did you end up getting the themal pad from rapidled as well? Did you have to cut them down to size?

Hello jimmyclone,
Thanks for sharing your build with us. I plan on putting something together very similar. Im wondering how you like the poke in connections? Are you using the 22 awg wiring for this project? Did you end up getting the themal pad from rapidled as well? Did you have to cut them down to size?
I did get the thermal pads, but i haven't stuck them on yet. Finished up the wiring on one panel a couple days ago. Why would i need to cut them? The aluminium pad on the back is square.. I haven't tried the poke ins yet, as im going to mount the cobs last to minimize any chance of breaking one. I used 16 gauge stranded, as a sparky by trade i always oversize my wire wherever possible. If the wire is to big, i can always pull out a couple strands.. No biggie..

Got some more work done, wiring is done on one and pretty close on the second panel. I have not mounted any cobs yet, i will do this right before going into the tent. Just a cut on the wire 2 screws in the cob and poke in baby.. Still waiting for my current grow to finish... Waiting game.. Getting close now though.
420-magazine-mobile327539930.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1607083313.jpg
420-magazine-mobile542196103.jpg

Heres the second panel, catching up
420-magazine-mobile1036874541.jpg

Cheers

Hello jimmyclone,
I haven't used the veros before but I assume the poke-in in the same on the COB by cree that I put together and the poke in connectors make things so simplistic, especially if your like me and aren't a huge fan of a soldering gun.

¥Koality¥

The crees are nice, but they are old tech almost 2years old now for cxb's.. They are very efficient for low wattages. But if you want more out of your cobs veros and citileds are usually more efficient at higher wattages and cost much less. You definitely still pay for the cree name.. Not saying there bad chips at all, but very overpriced for chips that are a little outdated.. The reason i choose the veros over the citi's was that you dont need a holder or adapter of any type, poke in, and the veros(as ive read) have a farther red than the other chips.. So for me getting the 3500k's that can do it all from start to finish was a no brainer..
Cheers

Those phytolites are using even Older cxb3070's not even cxb3590's.. They are way way overpriced.. Im building a 16 cob-1000 real watt 2 panel that is run passively, instead of actively on those panels for cheaper than there 500w panel. I dont what the conversion rate is but it might even be cheaper than there 4 cob panel.. The osram deep red chips are nice, but if i thought i actually needed them, rapidled has a diy far red kit for 100$ that i could put in the center of my panels.. But again i chose the veros for having a spectrum that leads into the far red a bit more than the competition.. If anything i. Might add uv bars in the future..

I did get the thermal pads, but i haven't stuck them on yet. Finished up the wiring on one panel a couple days ago. Why would i need to cut them? The aluminium pad on the back is square.. I haven't tried the poke ins yet, as im going to mount the cobs last to minimize any chance of breaking one. I used 16 gauge stranded, as a sparky by trade i always oversize my wire wherever possible. If the wire is to big, i can always pull out a couple strands.. No biggie..

Thanks mate, you are absolutely correct. For some reason i thought the pads that rapidled had in stock were larger, but it looks like they should be fine without any alterations. I too would prefer to go with the 16, 18 gauge, but noticed kits with the pokein vero were coming with 22gauge wire. Had a feeling the pokein connections maybe be too small, but like you said with the stranded wire you could make it work. Anyhow, looks like the rig is coming along nicely.

They will sell 22 gauge because it is the cheapest wire rated for the job.. I like to lean to the side of caution with electricity, the voltage is low enough for that wire, but if there was a spike in amperage it could melt those baby wires.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom