Advice on my 2250W LED COB build - CLU048 1212C4 3500k 80 CRI

BobbyBoy

I have been researching for the past few days LED COBS, CREE, Vero, and Citizens.
Read/learnt alot from users like fanleaf, Supra, BuddyColas, JorgeGonzalez, Rahz, Bobby_G, etc

I came to the conclusion after many hours that the Citizen CLU048-1212C4 3500k 80CRI seemed my best choice.
At $11 each I favoured the lower cob cost and lost around 300W in efficiency.
If I went with the watt savings my build would have cost another $1000+.

Here is my specifics

I have a grow area of 5ft x 10ft - 50 sq ft.
I will put 1 x CLU048 1212C4 3500k 80 CRI at each sq ft, so 50 in total.
Each cob runs at 45W, producing 160/Lpw
This would give 7200 Lumens per sq ft.

Setup3.png

50 COBS total
2250W total
360,000 Lumens total

I have not yet decided on drivers, I will be using passive cooling, undecided on thermal paste vs pads

Please offer any advice before I go ahead with the build.

Not the place for LED DIY lighting.

Trust me I know.

That's a pretty big array of cobs, seems like a lot to achieve efficiency. Have you considered running less cobs at higher wattages? Are you using reflectors?

I have been researching for the past few days LED COBS, CREE, Vero, and Citizens.
Read/learnt alot from users like fanleaf, Supra, BuddyColas, JorgeGonzalez, Rahz, Bobby_G, etc

I came to the conclusion after many hours that the Citizen CLU048-1212C4 3500k 80CRI seemed my best choice.
At $11 each I favoured the lower cob cost and lost around 300W in efficiency.
If I went with the watt savings my build would have cost another $1000+.

Here is my specifics

I have a grow area of 5ft x 10ft - 50 sq ft.
I will put 1 x CLU048 1212C4 3500k 80 CRI at each sq ft, so 50 in total.
Each cob runs at 45W, producing 160/Lpw
This would give 7200 Lumens per sq ft.

What is the purpose of this light? Flowering? Veg?
For flowering, the 3000K 90 CRI COB is a better choice according to this thread.

I'm designing a similar fixture. As all my tents are four feet by a multiple of two feet, I'm going with multiple fixtures, each for a 2 X 4 area. I'm also going with the Citizen CLU048-1212C4-303H5K2 3000K 90CRI COBs, as these fixtures are for flowering. Every fixture will have two strings, each consisting of a Mean Well HLG-240H-C1400B driver and 4 COBs in series.

You may wish to consider breaking up your fixture into five fixtures each covering 2' X 5'. If you want, you can use another piece of aluminium to tie them together. It will make it much easier to work on, and to move when you need to. Each fixture would need two Mean Well MW HLG-320H-C1400B drivers. Using a potentiometer controlling both drivers, you'll be able to vary the power from 25 W or less to 64 W. It's much easier to turn that dial than to raise or lower the array. I'd also consider a PWM generator to handle all the drivers.

Shenzhen KingBrite Electronics Co., Ltd. produces a kit with most of the components you'll need for $183.50 (5 COBs, mounts, reflectors, heatsinks, and a Mean Well HLG-240H-C1400B driver. Talk to them and they may be able to swap out some of the components for you.

Are you aware that you'll need two timers and two 110V circuits to handle this load?

Good Luck with this project.

Not the place for LED DIY lighting.

Trust me I know.

That's a pretty big array of cobs, seems like a lot to achieve efficiency. Have you considered running less cobs at higher wattages? Are you using reflectors?

Can you post or PM me links to better resources for this?

Thanks in advance...

Thats a lotta cobs, but I wish you all the best with this, Im running 24 x CLU048 1212's 90cri in a 8 x 4 wide open at 1280w, but dimmed, only just put them in and flippd my girls ( they were under CMH prior to adding my COB's and flipping ), hope they smash the CMH :thumb:

What color temp did you use?

I've gone back to the beginning for my design. I'm gathering data from the big boys, Black Dog, California Lightworks, and Kind, looking at power, and spectral distribution. From the power standpoint, I'm leaning towards the CLU048-1216C4s, as they are rated at 49 Watts @ 1440ma and 34V. I'll drive four with a Mean Well HLG-240H-C1400B. These should let me go to 62W per COB. The big boy spread is from 25W to 50W per square foot. Next is color temp, and CRI. These will be chosen strictly for flowering. I'm gathering the data for that now.

I've gone back to the beginning for my design. I'm gathering data from the big boys, Black Dog, California Lightworks, and Kind, looking at power, and spectral distribution. From the power standpoint, I'm leaning towards the CLU048-1216C4s, as they are rated at 49 Watts @ 1440ma and 34V. I'll drive four with a Mean Well HLG-240H-C1400B. These should let me go to 62W per COB. The big boy spread is from 25W to 50W per square foot. Next is color temp, and CRI. These will be chosen strictly for flowering. I'm gathering the data for that now.

Im running all 3500k. I dont quite get all the efficacy stuff, and i dont think my setup is running for efficiency, i just bought the pre-packed kits complete, minus the framework and went to town when they arrived lol. Im setup to do about 50w per cob, but probably wont crank them wide open for a bit yet. Im thinking of adding some 1750k vero29's, and some far red initiator diodes, and will throw a 10K CMH bulb in there for the last week or 2 to finish them off.

::edit:: running on 4 x Meanwell 320h c1400b

Im running all 3500k. I dont quite get all the efficacy stuff, and i dont think my setup is running for efficiency, i just bought the pre-packed kits complete, minus the framework and went to town when they arrived lol. Im setup to do about 50w per cob, but probably wont crank them wide open for a bit yet. Im thinking of adding some 1750k vero29's, and some far red initiator diodes, and will throw a 10K CMH bulb in there for the last week or 2 to finish them off.

::edit:: running on 4 x Meanwell 320h c1400b

Efficacy is simply the amount of light put out for every watt applied to the COB. The CLU048 1212Cs with a color temp of 3500 put out 155lm/w if you chose the CRI 80, while the CRI 90 puts out less at 133lm/w. I read that the difference in the color of the COBs is due to a filter applied over the CRI 90s. (The CRI 90s have a deeper orange color.) I don't know if it's the filter that accounts for the reduced light output, or if a different set of LEDs is on the COB as well. Just something else to investigate :)

You are wrong with your maths, you can't get 62w per COB from that driver, the 240h is constant current, 34V x 1.4A=47.6watts max. With a 240h-c1750b you can get 59.5w
The 240h c1400 have a output voltage range 89V-179V, so you can connect 3 series(34Vx3=102v), 4 series(34Vx4=128V) and 5 series(34vVx5=170v), all that configurations will run always up to 1.4A
2 series doesn't match in the Voutput(34Vx2=68)
Regards...

Back
Top Bottom